FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Exhaust Fan recommendations for use when spraying?

Default Exhaust Fan recommendations for use when spraying?

Hi All,

I have a small basement shop about 12x20x7.5 and I am looking to do a little spraying. (Already called the finish company and I do not require explosion proof fan when using their water based products).

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can use for an exhaust fan to keep fumes to a minimum? (I will also have an intake somewhere to allow fresh air back into the shop while the fan is on). How much CFM would I need? I have an old 300CFM bathroom fan laying around but I am guessing that might not be enough (especially after I put a filter over the intake).

Thanks

Default Re: Exhaust Fan recommendations for use when spraying?

Are you building a spray booth? I think the 300cfm bathroom fan would work fine, especially if you are only doing a small amount of spraying, and not too much all at once.

I have been spraying solvent based lacquers for a long time and over the years have used a variety of fans and to the best of my knowledge none were or explosion proof. I had occasion last summer for a make shift spray booth in the back of a 16 ft enclosed trailer. I used a furnace fan and was surprised how much air it would remove compared to the one in my shop which is a barn type fan.Attached are photo's of a box I just built and now have two fans with the proper filter material in front of the fans to avoid the fans building up a coating of lacquer overspray. Both are two speed fans and have switches for each fan. I moved the furnace fan motor outside of the box to avoid it sucking in the overspray. I am not recommending this to anyone but it works quite well for me. The wire attached to the front of the box is to prevent the filter material being sucked into the fan.One thing that I noticed is that the furnace fan will move more air than the bottom barn type fan < just finished it Friday and used it for the first time today and it really sucks.

Brian

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

I spray mostly WB precat and believe me, you will smell plenty of fumes. Your 300 cfm fan will be too small, I have an 18 inch barn fan from princess auto and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by robphill View Post
    I spray mostly WB precat and believe me, you will smell plenty of fumes. Your 300 cfm fan will be too small, I have an 18 inch barn fan from princess auto and it works great.
    I agree completely. I once tried to paint a car in a garage using a fan from an airtight stove, needless to say it was a waste of time. With the new automotive paints and their additives the system I have now would be totally inadequate and dangerous. The furnace fan I have on the top of my unit is usually available from HVAC shops that replace furnaces.. if you ever come down Woodstock way I have lots of the filter material you can have for free. It comes in a very large roll and I have a 20 yrs supply,lol.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian @ Muir; 02-25-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Hey Brian, I like the new set up. I have your old setup (the barn fan on a mobile base and a plywood door insert with a hole cut out). Maybe I should box it in and add a filter like yours. Do you think it's worth it?

I switched from ML Campbell pre-cat lacquer death spray. I can't be spraying that toxic stink with a little boy and pregnant wife at home. The fumes get into everything and last forever. Lately I've been spraying Varathane Diamond for hardwood floors: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/diam...in-378l/980313
    A little pricey, but no smell and cleans up with water.

C
    Clint in London

Clint... What made a big differece is the furnace fan, it moves a lot more air than the lower one but in a smaller shop you may not need two fans. If you go the route off a box I can give you the filter materials, I have lots. It is the proper filter for spray booths.

Brian

The other thing to remember is make up air or an opening somewhere to prevent negative pressure. The exhausted fumes have to be replaced otherwise the fan is pulling a vacuum.

Clint - have you tried agualente by ml Campbell? Water based and I like it very much both clear and pigmented.
    Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

'If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem'

No Tim, I haven't. website says there's a sealer and a topcoat. Do you know the prices and shelf-life?

C
    Clint in London

Quote Originally Posted by "C" View Post
    No Tim, I haven't. website says there's a sealer and a topcoat. Do you know the prices and shelf-life?

C
    Yep. There's a primer sealer, a pigmented and a clear top coat. Have to check on prices. Around $60 per gal off the top of my head. Shelf life is around a year I think.
    Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

'If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem'