FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Canada 220/240v at home (Rental Properties)

Default Canada 220/240v at home (Rental Properties)

Greetings from the other side of the Pacific Ocean.

In about 2 years I plan on moving to canada to work for a few years...what is now worrying me is the ability to use my growing collection of tools...

Generally in Australia/New Zealand it is sometimes possible to selectively buy equipment sutiable for 50 or 60Hz, however all equipment is plated 220/240 volts only.

I understand North American homes may have some 220v outlets in the home, is this a normal occurence? If I was to rent a house, with the use of an electrician to change the machine plugs over and a long extension cord am I going to be able to run my 220/240v 50/60Hz equipment in a typical place? (Not middle of the city, I'm a mining guy so I would be more likely to come to somewhere in a medium sized town/cit in BC/NWT etc).

Also I assume 3 phase is out of the question, but a single phase thicknesser or jointer should work if the other equipment does?

Thanks in advance, I'm already keen to use some of this oak and cherry and walnut that I've seen pictures of.

Summary of questions:
    Do most rental homes have 220v outlets that could be used to power woodworking tools somewhere with an extension cord?
    Is it possible to use 60HZ plated machinery on 50Hz supply?
    Are higher current draw, single phase machines such as thicknessers a problem?

Cheers,

Austin

Real Name
    Dave

Default Re: Canada 220/240v at home (Rental Properties)

It is my experience that most Canadian homes have 110V/220V single phase electrical service. Majority of electrical outlets and lights are 110/120V with 220/240V typically used for the clothes dryer outlet and the oven outlet.

dave
    Last edited by ice-breaker; 03-16-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Explosive View Post
    Summary of questions:
    Do most rental homes have 220v outlets that could be used to power woodworking tools somewhere with an extension cord?
    Generally no... The presence of 220v power is there, but the "standard" home does not have 220v oulets that are meant to be used for anything other for what they were installed for. Can you build an extension cord that will plug into say the clothes dryer outlet to power your woodworking equipment...?...certainly. Will the owner of the property approve of that practice...?..., I'd be surprised if they did.

You could have 220v outlets added to the garage if you like, but again, you're at the mercy of the home owner. However I haven't met many landlords that are against features being added to their properties at the cost of the renter, so it's worth asking.

Is it possible to use 60HZ plated machinery on 50Hz supply?
    Yes... However, our system is 60Hz, so it's something you don't need to be concerned about.

Are higher current draw, single phase machines such as thicknessers a problem?
    Can be... Size means everything in this case. I have a 2hp 15" thicknesser/planer that can run on a 15amp 240v circuit. A similar 3hp planer will draw somewhere around ~17amps. The bigger you get, the more juice you need... it's that easy.

Thanks mate.

Sounds good for the smaller gear (table saw etc with a lead from somewhere in the house (ie. the stove) and I'll hold off on a new thicknesser and jointer and save it for a few years down the track for my own place and go 3 phase!

Sorry, I had the 50/60hz round the wrong way (we are 50hz).

Cheers,

Austin

Real Name
    I.B.Woodworker

Just to throw it out there. You would probably be far better off to not bother shipping the tools over here. For what you are looking to do, you probably are talking about smaller power tools, and not large cast iron TS or 12" jointer 20" plainer.

For the cost of it. You can come here, and probably within a few weeks buy used North American tools that require no changes to the rental property. Plug in at 120v and work. Use them for the year or two, then re-sell them with little loss when you go back. No cost to hire an electrician or need to get the landlord's ok. No cost of shipping tools back and forth from OZ.

just a thought though
    Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Real Name
    Bill

I sure wish we could get over the 110/220V designations even though it doesn't cause any real problems. The nominal voltages are 120/240V.

A 50Hz motor will generally run OK on 60Hz albeit a bit faster and will not develop as much power. 60Hz motors on 50Hz can cause overheating.

Putting 3-phase into a residential dwelling could be a major expense but there are rotary and static converters.

I also wonder if shipping the tools is worth it.

billh

You will be the best judge of the shipping advantages or disadvantages. Listen to Jarrett. If you were renting from me and wanted to add a circuit to a garage shop, I'd even help you do it.
    "Do it Right!"

I shipped all of my hand held power tools over from the uk. I have 220 in the shop and none of the tools seem to run noticeably hotter or faster although both of the ros that I brought died. I also bought a step up/ step down transformer which I use when I'm working away from the shop. It's a bit of a pita and heavy - its a 3kw one and will allow most tools to run inc a pto vac cleaner. I should have bought the transformer in the uk because they are so much cheaper there.

Depending on the age and quality of your tools I would bring them since you probably won't get much selling them second hand.
    Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

'If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem'

Thanks Guys,

You've all been amazingly helpful.

Good news on the 50/60Hz aspect then.

Regarding shipping cost...agreed if it was my cost, but luckily most international relocations provide a 20' shipping container, so it shouldn't be an issue as long as I can fit them in.

Cheers,

Austin

Real Name
    A.B. Normal

Hi Austin, if you're talking stationary machinery (induction motors) your machines will run 20% faster here than they do in Australia.

Check your tooling maximum RPM to see if this is an issue for you.

With hand held tools (wound rotor motors) the speed will not be frequency dependant so you'll be fine.

In both cases the tools won't have a suitable electrical approval so that will be an issue...............Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Austin, if you're talking stationary machinery (induction motors) your machines will run 20% faster here than they do in Australia.

Check your tooling maximum RPM to see if this is an issue for you.

With hand held tools (wound rotor motors) the speed will not be frequency dependant so you'll be fine.

In both cases the tools won't have a suitable electrical approval so that will be an issue...............Regards, Rod.

I have had problems with electronic VS tools going from 60Hz to 50Hz (Canada to UK ) Specifically a PC 2639 router yet the single speed bosch is ok