FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Can anyone here play golf???

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sudbury
    Posts
    1,788

    Default Re: Can anyone here play golf???

    Lets also have some perspective... there are tens of millions (maybe hundreds of millions) of people in the world that golf! Only a handful are considered the elite (Tiger, Lefty, McIlroy, etc). Mike Weir was part of that group for a very short period. So, its not like every other country is producing a dozen new elite golfers every year.

    Both of my kids can smack a ball, and love going to the driving range - but have very little interest in walking a course or putting. I will likely be buing my oldest a junior membership this year, just to see if I can get him going - as he has the chance to be a very good golfer (exceptional club head speed, excellent muscle control and memory, and very coachable). Only problem is his friends don't golf!
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sudbury
    Posts
    1,788

    Default Re: Can anyone here play golf???

    Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    I am one of those guys that decided against trying to make the tour. I was a scratch golfer when I was 16 (about 17 years ago). I was good enough to go play at a tier 2 US college (which I declined). I had 0 coaching. I had almost 0 support from my parents (they wanted me to be a hockey star. 5' 10", 150pounds doesn't make a good hockey star ). I hadn't even taken a lesson from anyone qualified until last summer (almost back to scratch!!!). I had crappy old hand me down clubs from my parents. When I upgraded, I bought a used set of 5 year old Tommy Armour irons that were well past their best before date.
    My GAWD - that sounds exactly like my youth in baseball! I never went anywhere without a baseball in my hand. I'd lie in bed and throw a baseball up with my eyes closed and catch it so that I could train muscle memory and be able to control the ball out of my hand all the time. My brother and I would be out on the street in 3 feet of snow in JANUARY playing catch! I build a hitting machine in my backyard to work on my swing. All I ever wanted was to play ball - even just for fun.

    My parents convinced me that I had to be a hockey player (I was good but learned to hate the game by Bantam). I could go to any hockey school in the world, but never to a baseball camp. Looking back, I easily could have played on a scholarship in the US, but never got the chance to go to the scouting camps.

    When I was 20, a scout approached me, asked me how old I was, and told me "Too bad, if you were 18, we'd draft you"!

    I'm guessing there are lots of kids in this country just like me! Forced to play hockey to live their parents dream!
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    GTA (Greater Toronto Area)
    Posts
    7,420
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Can anyone here play golf???

    Quote Originally Posted by Max In Sudbury View Post
    My GAWD - that sounds exactly like my youth in baseball! I never went anywhere without a baseball in my hand. I'd lie in bed and throw a baseball up with my eyes closed and catch it so that I could train muscle memory and be able to control the ball out of my hand all the time. My brother and I would be out on the street in 3 feet of snow in JANUARY playing catch! I build a hitting machine in my backyard to work on my swing. All I ever wanted was to play ball - even just for fun.

    My parents convinced me that I had to be a hockey player (I was good but learned to hate the game by Bantam). I could go to any hockey school in the world, but never to a baseball camp. Looking back, I easily could have played on a scholarship in the US, but never got the chance to go to the scouting camps.

    When I was 20, a scout approached me, asked me how old I was, and told me "Too bad, if you were 18, we'd draft you"!

    I'm guessing there are lots of kids in this country just like me! Forced to play hockey to live their parents dream!
    That's a shame Max. I assume it was a baseball scout?

    I love baseball, and have my son in it since he was four. My parents put me in hockey, even though I wasn't very good, nor did I really like it. I had the most awful coach for years on end in house league who thought teaching the kids was via yelling in their faces when they came off the ice and to me it was no surprise we were always in last place year after year. My fondest memory of hockey is the two goals I scored in the seven years I played, and being traded to another team for half a season, but the next year ending up on my old team with the screaming maniac. When I was thirteen and needed new hockey equipment, my dad asked me if I wanted to keep on playing. Finally an out, and I told him I did not want to.

    If we were 30 years ago, I'd have my son in hockey as well despite my own experience, but I just don't agree with the game and the way it's played today for him to potentially idolize its goons and all that overdone fighting. I just don't agree with a sport that when the going gets tough, you should need to slug your opponent to get your way. It's BS and it's not the way I want my son to understand how to resolve adversity in life!
    Last edited by Lost in the Woods; 03-06-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    Kevin

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    1,229

    Default Re: Can anyone here play golf???

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
    @ Ian: Funny story.....we were in the Dominican 10 years ago, and one of the guys we went with was a big golfer (hung out with Fuzzy back in the 'day ) and talked me into golfing a round with him. He had the best of the best as far as clubs go, I had rentals (did I mention I'm a hack?). Anyway, this young kid (12 or so) who was our caddy STARED at Dave's driver for the whole game. Near the end Dave hands him the club and a ball and nods for him to take a shot.....I have NEVER seen a drive like that kid made. 300+, perfect lift, straight down the fairway. If his short game was anything like his drives that kid could be famous....the sad part is that he'll likely never get the chance.
    Yep. It is sad. Money is so important that it almost makes me ill to think about what could be with our world if everyone were able to work to their maximum potential without money limiting them.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    1,229

    Default Re: Can anyone here play golf???

    Quote Originally Posted by Max In Sudbury View Post
    Lets also have some perspective... there are tens of millions (maybe hundreds of millions) of people in the world that golf! Only a handful are considered the elite (Tiger, Lefty, McIlroy, etc). Mike Weir was part of that group for a very short period. So, its not like every other country is producing a dozen new elite golfers every year.

    Both of my kids can smack a ball, and love going to the driving range - but have very little interest in walking a course or putting. I will likely be buing my oldest a junior membership this year, just to see if I can get him going - as he has the chance to be a very good golfer (exceptional club head speed, excellent muscle control and memory, and very coachable). Only problem is his friends don't golf!
    He can likely make some new golfing buddies Check out if they have a junior night or day during the summer. Great place to meet new people to play golf with. Good for social skills, good for making connections for later in life, etc...

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    1,229

    Default Re: Can anyone here play golf???

    Quote Originally Posted by Max In Sudbury View Post
    I'm guessing there are lots of kids in this country just like me! Forced to play hockey to live their parents dream!
    bingo!!

    My plea to you parents out there is let your children decide what their dream is rather than living out yours

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Waterdown, ON
    Posts
    1,543
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Can anyone here play golf???

    I want my kids to do whatever they want to but will not get them into hockey unless they really want too! There is 10x the financial and time commitment with hockey then almost any other organized sport.

    Regardless of what they want to do they'll know it is their choice.

    AK

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sudbury
    Posts
    1,788

    Default Re: Can anyone here play golf???

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
    That's a shame Max. I assume it was a baseball scout?

    I love baseball, and have my son in it since he was four. My parents put me in hockey, even though I wasn't very good, nor did I really like it. I had the most awful coach for years on end in house league who thought teaching the kids was via yelling in their faces when they came off the ice and to me it was no surprise we were always in last place year after year. My fondest memory of hockey is the two goals I scored in the seven years I played, and being traded to another team for half a season, but the next year ending up on my old team with the screaming maniac. When I was thirteen and needed new hockey equipment, my dad asked me if I wanted to keep on playing. Finally an out, and I told him I did not want to.

    If we were 30 years ago, I'd have my son in hockey as well despite my own experience, but I just don't agree with the game and the way it's played today for him to potentially idolize its goons and all that overdone fighting. I just don't agree with a sport that when the going gets tough, you should need to slug your opponent to get your way. It's BS and it's not the way I want my son to understand how to resolve adversity in life!

    Yes, it was a baseball scout. I got to know him a few years later when I started coaching. He said he was disappointed that I hadn't pursued a US college to get the chance at some level of pro ball, but honestly, I had NO CLUE that it was even possible for a kid from Sudbury to do that! This was well before the internet days where you could google "how to play pro sports"!

    As for hockey, I coach two teams, and yes, sometimes you have to yell to get kids attention. As a coach, I don't like doing it, but some kids, not all, have issues with focus. Some kids you can talk with, others need a pat on the back, and others need a kick in the butt. Its no different than raising your own kids - sometimes you ask the kids to come to dinner, sometimes they're at the table before you, and sometimes you have to yell 5 times before they even no you're there. A loud voice (not anger or fear or intimidation) is just another tool in a coach's toolbox.


    Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    He can likely make some new golfing buddies Check out if they have a junior night or day during the summer. Great place to meet new people to play golf with. Good for social skills, good for making connections for later in life, etc...

    I know, and once he does play a few rounds, I KNOW he will love it and be very good at it. I took him to the driving range when he was 7 or 8 years old, with a cheapo set of clubs, and he was hitting 150 yards straight as an arrow every time. Never missed a ball - I was embarrassed as I couldn't do that! He's an all around athlete - he's in everything from competitive soccer, basketball, hockey, gymnastics! I want to get him into non-team sports where he can hone his skills without having to rely on a team or coach.


    Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    bingo!!

    My plea to you parents out there is let your children decide what their dream is rather than living out yours
    ABSOLUTELY! My kids go into whatever sport or activity they choose (if we have the time and money). The only thing we ask is that they don't quit once they make a commitment to the team/season!


    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_K99 View Post
    I want my kids to do whatever they want to but will not get them into hockey unless they really want too! There is 10x the financial and time commitment with hockey then almost any other organized sport.

    Regardless of what they want to do they'll know it is their choice.

    AK
    Actually, houseleague hockey isn't that much more expensive that competitive soccer or golf/gymnastics. You can get a full set of equipment for a child for around $150 and it costs about $400-500 to play a season. Compare that to golf clubs ($150), balls, lessons (hockey coaches are free!), and green fees/driving range time - or soccer - $250 in fees, plus cleats, uniforms, and of course - clinics - well, hockey is actually a bargain compared to some other sports!

    Now, if you get into Rep or competitive hockey where the kids need $300 sticks and $800 skates, then pay $2000 in dues, and travel to tourneys every 2-3 weeks, well that is ridiculously expensive!
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sioux Lookout
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Can anyone here play golf???

    As far as the Americans are concerned, I beleive we have less golfers because our beer is much better and more potent ! this is known as the Molson "CANADIAN" handicap on my local course !

  10. #30

    Default Re: Can anyone here play golf???

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Craig View Post
    As far as the Americans are concerned, I beleive we have less golfers because our beer is much better and more potent ! this is known as the Molson "CANADIAN" handicap on my local course !
    Yea but on your local course they have the holes going UPHILL (8th I think) not downhill. LOL.
    Last edited by Wally in Calgary; 05-28-2012 at 10:17 AM.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Peace River, AB
    Posts
    174

    Default Re: Can anyone here play golf???

    I used to play lots. Before the kids came along. Now I don't play all that often. I admit I love the game. I find it very relaxing. It's not that I don't want to play more, I just don't have the time. I love the moutain coarses in the fairmont area of BC and golf a couple rounds there each year. In fact the best round of golf I ever played was at the Radium coarse. 3 over par. I think the reason we are not real good at golf is the same reason that we are great at produceing some of the best hockey players in the world. It is hard to get good at golf when you live in a country with only two months of summer and four that are snow free. Like the molson commercial on TV says, we excell at the game this land gave us!

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,586

    Default Re: Can anyone here play golf???

    9 handicap here. Shot plus one over 9 holes last night. On the 500 yard par 5 9th I was hitting a 7 iron on my second shot but missed the eagle putt by 2 feet. Never had an eagle. Not a good enough putter.

    I have golfed for years but was never very good until my son got into it at age 9. He is 13 now and has won 4 tournaments. He gets me out a lot (50 rounds last year) so consequently at age 51 I am playing the best golf of my life. Great fun.

    I see in the near future that I will be pulling my son back to the blue tees and I will be moving up to the whites.
    Cheers
    Randy

    "Gunga Galunga" - The Dalai Lama according to Carl Spackler

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Caledon Ontario
    Posts
    956
    Real Name
    yup its Greg

    Default Re: Can anyone here play golf???

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
    I actually wasn't bad at golf, but I just found it too long and generally boring. Nice scenery while doing it, but that alone isn't enough to get me to go. Fishing is the same to me.
    LOL exactly the same with me....
    "every man is the maker of his own misfortune"

Similar Threads

  1. Wanna help play detective ?
    By Bruce in Victoria in forum Power Tools
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 04:51 PM
  2. Woodworking plan to build a golf bag stand
    By roykusko in forum Woodworking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-27-2007, 01:00 PM
  3. LF: play to buy melamine
    By panchalv in forum Woodworking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2007, 07:12 PM
  4. Rob Lee...Rob Lee...can you come out to play?
    By Brent in Montreal in forum Hand Tools
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2006, 12:33 PM
  5. Golf Ball Collection Display Case
    By Keith in Ottawa in forum Woodworking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 12:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •