FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Router Table Dust collection

Default Router Table Dust collection

I am in the final stages of a router table and was wondering if there was anyone out there who had built Norm's Deluxe Router station and connected the dust collection to a 4 inch system? The one I built is different from Norm's plans in that I had to create my own table top to incorporate a Veritas table and the sliding fences which of course need clearance under the steel top.
    I am expecting that I need a 2 inch connection to the cabinet that houses the router, and another one at the fence but looking for ideas or experiences. The ideal would be a 4" to 2- 2" connections, and from the 2" connections I run flex hoses to top and bottom. The 4 inch part lies somewhat flat against the back of the cabinet between the two ports so it only adds about 4 inches, enough to hook the DC hose. Is there such a fitting? I haven't seen one.
    The only real requirement is that I don't have a ton of fittings on the back which hinder connection and require the table to be a foot from the wall. Oh, and it has to be efficient at collecting dust.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Unhappy Re: Router Table Dust collection

I have the veritas system on a router table, but my table has doors, so under the router is enclosed, except for some air intake slots right along the top. I use the magnetic veritas dust attachment right behind the fence connected to a pail cyclone seperator, and to the shop vac. In my rented shop of yore, I connected the 4" dust collector hose directly to the magnetic dust thing. Once done, I open the doors and vacuum out whats underneath.
    Prior to the veritas top, I used a Jessum on a table with doors. It had a 4" at the bit, and a 4" into the table. Still had to vacuum out under the table. And I never could figure out a way to have the table tight to the wall. Those fittings just gobble up too much space by time you add in a wye or try to avoid ninties. Both set ups have been on locking casters for that reason. Not much help I guess.
    Donna,
    Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Real Name
    mike

Default Re: Router Table Dust collection

Donna, maybe if you put the dust hose coming off the bottom in the router cabinet it would work better as gravity will be on your side. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Donna H View Post
    I have the veritas system on a router table, but my table has doors, so under the router is enclosed, except for some air intake slots right along the top. I use the magnetic veritas dust attachment right behind the fence connected to a pail cyclone seperator, and to the shop vac. In my rented shop of yore, I connected the 4" dust collector hose directly to the magnetic dust thing. Once done, I open the doors and vacuum out whats underneath.
    Prior to the veritas top, I used a Jessum on a table with doors. It had a 4" at the bit, and a 4" into the table. Still had to vacuum out under the table. And I never could figure out a way to have the table tight to the wall. Those fittings just gobble up too much space by time you add in a wye or try to avoid ninties. Both set ups have been on locking casters for that reason. Not much help I guess.
    Thanks Donna, the way I have built mine the router will be enclosed as well. I decided that I am going with a 2.5 dust port on the bottom section that houses the router. Instead of building the top dust collector I just got the Veritas one although I think it's a bit pricey for a plastic box with magnets. I will connect 2.5 inch hoses to each of these and run them to a 2.5 inch TY connecter, where I will have another length of hose that attaches to a 4-2.5 reducer, which of course is attached to my DC. Being that it's 2.5 inch hose I think it will fit behind the overhang at the back of the table top but I may jigsaw a 2.5 inch hole in the overhang to allow the unit to rest against the wall while there is enough slack in the hoses that I don't have to crawl in behind to attach the main 4". Everything I have now is on wheels and at some point I may go with more fixed ducting but for now it's all mobile while I figure out of I want to continue this wood stuff.

I have a Lee Valley table on an enclosed cabinet that is narrower than the table. This allows for space to attach the LV fence on each side. The front of the cabinet is hinged. Then ran a 4" dust collector hose to the cabinet and the 2" hose from the fence to the opposite side o the cabinet. There is very little dust thrown anywhere.
    Willy

Thanks Willy, I never thought of that and I just got a delivery from LV so I will hook it up the way I stated above and see what happens. Still cutting firewood so progress is slow.