FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beaver tools people - cast legs - aluminum replicas?

Default Beaver tools people - cast legs - aluminum replicas?

For all of you with Beaver tools that want the cast legs to dress up the stand, who would be interested in cast aluminum replicas?

I've been researching getting into aluminum casting, and this would be a fun project to give back to the community. I already have one set of iron legs, so I could use those to make a mold.

Now, just to be clear, I'm just gauging interest here, no promises!

I would not charge for them beyond the cost of the scrap aluminum required in fabrication (donations would be fine, too).

Anyways...when I get around to it I'll post on OWWM as well, but figured at least Steve would be interested here!

Default Re: Beaver tools people - cast legs - aluminum replicas?

I wouldn't mind a set or two Chris... There are two different lengths of legs though. How long are the ones you have?

Hm, good point, didn't know that. I think they are 2.0-2.5 feet or so. Shouldn't be too hard to make custom length legs as well.

Again, since this is cast aluminum, and not cast iron, won't be quite as strong, but should still be fairly durable. Simple enough to do some tests.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link, Andrew. That looks like cast iron legs, so would be a lot stronger than Al. If the price isn't bad, probably better to get them to do it, but shipping would definitely be expensive. The four legs I have probably weigh 10lbs a piece, or more. Ha, no idea...maybe I should weigh them...

Stevem's venture has seemed to have stalled somewhat, but I really shouldn't speak for him.

I too have given some thought to casting small items, but as it stands I have far too much on my plate already. I'm still interested chris, so don't dismiss the idea too quickly.

I'll set up a list of interested parties, and we'll see how the summer goes. We just (3 weeks) had our first child, so things will understandably revolve around that, but my wife is pretty supportive of these things, so hopefully we'll at least get a few test runs done!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chris.trotter View Post
    ... We just (3 weeks) had our first child...
    Congratulations and welcome to the insanity!

Our second son was born March 7th, our first will be 2 years old on April 11.

AK
    Last edited by Andrew_K99; 03-26-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typos

Yes welcome....

Our newest addition just reached the double digit days. Her combined with the other two girls (3 and not quite 2) are why my plate is maxed out right now. Wouldn't change it for the world.

For sure, we're loving the ups and downs.

March 7th! Same for our little guy, and his cousin, only 22 minutes before (my sister's). Yeah, it's been kinda busy for our family.

That aircraft carrier thread in the woodworking subforum was quite inspiring.

Real Name
    Steve Morris

my "venture" is on going but getting a 14 pound leg to st catherines has been very difficult!!
    id be very interested in an aluminum version as well as may be jeff my owwm guy whose handling the casting stateside

there are two lengths, short for the saws, jointers, longer for the drill press and scrollies

raw castings from a foundry will need some machine work of course, not much in the case of a set of legs, just drill a few holes. there are holes in the ends for mounting tops and bottoms with casters and threeholes along the edges to fasten cabinet sides

the legs HAVE to be used to build a box cabinet of some kind, i use formica laminated plywood.

i would think that aluminum would be plenty strong enough and much easier to drill

what about the 3200 tablesaw handles? they are aluminum and would make a good test subject. i have a "plug" made of denture molding plastic
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

Steve, you mean the fence handles? Yeah, that would be a simpler test.

I've been gathering research notes here: http://wiki.practicaltech.ca/index.php/Foundry

Do you have any examples (pictures) of boxes built WITH the legs like you're saying? Also, the ones I have are around 2-3' long - are they the short or long legs?

St-Alexandre de Kamouraska, near Rivière du Loup Québec
    Blog Entries

Interrested in a set for my scroll saw.
    Jacques

Real Name
    Steve Morris

here's a pic of the one under my 3300, partially complete a few months ago. ive since added doors to the front, also my 3200 completed and the rather crappy one under my scrollie as it arrived(doors screwed to the front of the legs)

i used 5/8 plywood with formica. its all bolted together by the legs, note that the "cabinet" sides do not form a box by themselves, the cabinet under my jointer in the back ground has wooden legs and was made so that when i found another set of legs, it can be changed easily. i do have an extra set now

the shortlegs are 24 1/4 long, the longer ones are around 5 inches longer, short legs in cast iron weigh 14 pounds each.

there are actually three different legs, the only difference is the holes drilled down the sides. the two back legs are identical and have three holes down each side, the two front legs are drilled for left and right application.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stevem; 03-28-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

You need new pics steve.... That bright yellow box in the background just doesn't look right.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    my "venture" is on going but getting a 14 pound leg to st catherines has been very difficult!
    Figured there had to be some sort of wrench in the works steve. Last I heard you were trying to get a ballpark dollar figure on what the production costs could be.

i would think that aluminum would be plenty strong enough and much easier to drill
    I completely agree.... The legs only see a vertical load. The rest of the stand's construction would prevent the legs from buckling, if it were even a threat.

Looking for a bit more info on this, I think this would be the cost break-down:

* Cost of scrap required ($0-50, dependent on luck and donations)
    * Cost of shipping (not sure what this would be, probably $20-30, depending on carrier)
    * Small fee for time (I'm guessing just something token, like $10/hr, covers propane/materials and something for my time)

I have no clue what decent scrap aluminum will cost - the best items are engine/transmission components, wheels, etc. Hopefully between free and $50 per set. Also not sure how long it would take, but let's assume it'll take one to two hours worth of heating/pouring time, and an hour per leg of ramming up the molds/cleanup afterward.

Based on the above, total cost would be (REALLY rough estimate here) $50 for time/propane/materials, $25 for shipping, and say $25 for scrap = $100 for a set. Thoughts on that? Obviously zero profit for me, aside from the experience, but still not dirt cheap.

Is $100 per set still worth it for those interested?

Quote Originally Posted by chris.trotter View Post
    I have no clue what decent scrap aluminum will cost - the best items are engine/transmission components, wheels, etc. Hopefully between free and $50 per set.
    I was just at the scrap dealer not too long ago, and they price extruded aluminum at the highest grade. It contains the least amount of impurities apparently. Not sure if that means it would be the easiest material to melt down and work from though.

A small amount of aluminum electrical conduit goes through my hands from time to time. I'll start a pile, and will be in touch when I think I may have enough.

Real Name
    Mark Rose

You can also use this place for sand cast aluminum and bronze.

Skara Metal Foundry Ltd.

• Address:
    • 930 Kamato Rd.,
      Mississauga ON,
      L4W 2R6
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Blog Entries

I wonder how many legs you could get from a 3200 table saw casting