Hello everyone. Last year while camping I came across an issue with my camping trailer that resulted in me receiving a very small electrical shock. I will try to explain and hopefully some of you can possibly help me out.
-Trailer is plugged into the parks electrical service.
-everything working fine
During the evening as the ground and grassy area in front of my trailer entrance became damp I stepped up to trailer to enter in my bare feet in the grass. As I put my hand on the aluminum frame of the entrance i received a small jolt. When I say small I mean I wasn't even sure if it was an electrical shock and so I touched the frame again and sure enough received the shock again. It was so minor that it almost felt like static or something. Here is what I was able to determine.
-When I received the shock I was standing in BARE feet on damp ground and the light in trailer was ON.
-Standing in BARE feet on damp ground with light in trailer OFF= NO SHOCK
-Standing on damp ground with shoes on with light on or off = NO SHOCK
-Standing in trailer with bare feet or shoes and with light on or off=NO SHOCK
Trailer was hooked up to 120v.
The issue is obviously something to do with the light and specifically when it is turned on. In my mind I think I am acting as some sort of ground when standing in bare feet on damp ground.
The trailer is an old lionel lpl110 from 1972. I bought it from my uncle who only used it for one week a year and then stored it in his garage. They had no kids so it has been very well taken care of. Basically when it is opened up it is pretty much perfect and the canvas were replaced about 10 years ago so they are in fantastic shape as well. Being that it is quite old I am not going to get to fancy with it and try to rewire or something like that but I would like to try and fix this issue if fairly reasonable.
Thanks for reading and I appreciate you offering your knowledge.