FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever been scammed?

Default Ever been scammed?

My neighbour just put out over $800. to have three toilets 'refurbished' to save a bit of water seeping past the valve thing, or adjusted. Plumber was less than three hours at work. No wonder the trades look like a bunch of crooks!! I'm trying to convince him to write a review on BBB.
    Here is a link to share, there a lot more I'm sure.

http://blueprintbuilds.com/avoid-fra...ovation-scams/

Default Re: Ever been scammed?

To clarify... This makes plumbers look like a bunch of crooks. I can say with all certainty that no electrician has ever scammed a cilent on a toilet refurbishing job.

This may sound cruel but... a fool and his money are soon parted. There's no need to be an expert, but do a little research. At least call more than one contractor!

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsay View Post
    My neighbour just put out over $800. to have three toilets 'refurbished' to save a bit of water seeping past the valve thing, or adjusted. Plumber was less than three hours at work. No wonder the trades look like a bunch of crooks!! I'm trying to convince him to write a review on BBB.
    Here is a link to share, there a lot more I'm sure.

http://blueprintbuilds.com/avoid-fra...ovation-scams/
    Clicking on your link triggers all sorts of warnings from my Anti-virus software.

Are you sure its a safe site?

He/they should have sought opinion before signing the deal. The law does not protect you from a dumb deal!

We don't all have the right amount of handy man knowledge to understand such things and I suspect it will get worse over time.

Don

Blog Entries

I have two plumbers I do taxes for who are employees and one makes 100K and the othe other 155K a year. Neither do hardly any overtime. For every 20K in income workin 40 hour workweeks, that translates to 10/hr, so do the math. If a firm sent that plumber, add their cost and share of profit, a plumber can be 100 to 150 an hour easy.

Then I have to wonder in the situation described what parts were on top as well as whether ther is a basic service call charge tagged on as well as other plumbing tidbit tasks that the client is unaware of. Don't forget HST, and are you sure it is 3 hours only? Are they also in a remote location? Suddenly 800 dollars may not be so far fetched.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
    I have two plumbers I do taxes for who are employees and one makes 100K and the othe other 155K a year. Neither do hardly any overtime. For every 20K in income workin 40 hour workweeks, that translates to 10/hr, so do the math. If a firm sent that plumber, add their cost and share of profit, a plumber can be 100 to 150 an hour easy.
    It never ceases to amaze me at what plumbers get paid...

Back in my commerical construction days, more often than not the electricians were the lowest earning trade on site... Even the guys wrapping insulation around the water pipes made more...lol. How does that makes any sense...?...

Blog Entries

If you think plumbers make a lot of money you should see what birdhouse builders make

Quote Originally Posted by cranbrook2 View Post
    If you think plumbers make a lot of money you should see what birdhouse builders make
    I always get 3 quotes when dealing with the birdhouse trade!! :-))

Could it be a supply and demand thing......is there a lack of plumbers around? Didn't stone masons make healthy wages when their numbers dwindled?

Real Name
    Ted

It's funny when I worked as a Carpenter we always kind of made fun of Plumbers, the saying was: Two things a Plumber needs to know: Water (we used a different word) doesn't flow up hill, and Pay days Friday!

They were doing the laughing making much more then us!
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I always thought it was "hot on the left, cold on the right, and [septic system waste material] doesn't run uphill".

BOB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hoss10 View Post
    It's funny when I worked as a Carpenter we always kind of made fun of Plumbers, the saying was: Two things a Plumber needs to know: Water (we used a different word) doesn't flow up hill, and Pay days Friday!

They were doing the laughing making much more then us!
    And don,t chew your fingernails

Am I missing something here? Why on earth would he spend $800 to refurbish 3 toilets? I bought 3 brand new american standard toilets, dual flush, slow close seat, right height tall, for under $500.

there is a large difference in prices depending on what area you are working in. With my kitchens I hire a plumber to connect the plumbing under the sink and in most cases the sink is already mounted as most go with solid surface or granite counters and the sinks are installed by the counter top fabricator. I use one particular plumbing company in london and the cost s usually $150 to $200. That is when the water lines and drains are already in the base cabinet. The hole for the taps is also drilled by the counter top fabricator. First quote I got last fall in Burlington from a local plumbing company was $ 700 to attend plus any material. Did find a plumber from Burford who attended and did the the job for $540. He used less than 3 ft of 1 1/2 ABS and was in and out in 1.5 hrs. Not a bad wage for a plumber but to be fair it is not a crime to make a good wage.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0

Quote Originally Posted by cranbrook2 View Post

Yeah ... I always heard they were a fly by night bunch!

Real Name
    Ed

As a business guy (finish carpenter/cabinet maker), I have been scammed by a few subtrades & a few customers!

Real Name
    Mark Rose

I am adding time wasting lawyers to the list, they make plumbers look cheep. I complained and they charged me for the time used for my complaint.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Real Name
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Burlington View Post
    I am adding time wasting lawyers to the list, they make plumbers look cheep. I complained and they charged me for the time used for my complaint.
    Funny you should mention the L word Mark!

Real Name
    Mike

It galls me to have to spend a penny on a trade because I don't know how or am not wanting to do a job (roofing). If I do have to, I'll hit the yellow pages and bulletin boards at lumber yards pretty hard, and get the feel of the going price before I hire someone. My MIL hired a roofer 2 years ago to strip off her roof. He was the only one she called because she "heard" he was good. I guess she missed the part that he was expensive. 21 squares of roofing. 10,000 to strip it and install. Shingles were not included. I'm not sure what it cost nowadays, but I thought it pricy. Low pitch roof (5/12) and single story.