FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New infil plane

Default New infil plane

Totally inspired by Konrad Sauers K series planes that I played with a couple weeks ago at a show here is a prototype that is almost complete. 6 1/2 inches long smoother with blade bed of 52.5 degrees. Infil is ebony that needs a couple more coats of French polish to complete.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Default Re: New infil plane

Wow! Looks awesme!

Did you make all the parts from scratch?

AK

Were did you find the ebony, is it full thickness?

Hi, plane totally made from scratch except LV blade. Ebony is full thickness from exotic woods burlington. This is a prototype and I intend to do a small production run of 5 planes.

Wayne

Real Name
    Mike Delyster

That's a beauty Wayne.
    Do you plan on selling any of your production run? Please tell me it works as sweet as it looks.
    Mike @ Buck Lake

Yes, it works wonderfully. I do plan to sell the production run. PM if you re interested. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeddd View Post
    That's a beauty Wayne.
    Do you plan on selling any of your production run? Please tell me it works as sweet as it looks.
    Last edited by Kris in Toronto; 06-25-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm interested and would love one ... but I've seen the cost of custom infill planes and doubt they'd be in my price range. Unless this is a test run and you're only changing a minimal fee ... in which case PM what you're asking!

AK

LOVE it! PM sent.
    Ryan
    Formerly known as "Ryan in Edmonton "

GALLERY OF PROJECTS: http://lumberjocks.com/galleries/Boomr99#

Very nice plane. How many hours in total do you have into it?

Here are some higher resolution pictures. and you tube link to video. DSC02461.jpgDSC02462a.jpgDSC02461a.jpgDSC02465a.jpgDSC02471a.jpgDSC02469a.jpgDSC02464a.jpgDSC02463a.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbcwXdd5-iY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8txj...hannel&list=UL

Quote Originally Posted by wayjep View Post
    Totally inspired by Konrad Sauers K series planes that I played with a couple weeks ago at a show here is a prototype that is almost complete. 6 1/2 inches long smoother with blade bed of 52.5 degrees. Infil is ebony that needs a couple more coats of French polish to complete.

Very cool! Did you fab the lever cap and screw yourself? Very massive. Just from an aesthetic standpoint, I find the blade too long. Minor point, though.

Craig

Thanks Craig, and the blade legnth is something i have been thinking about. Im not sure yet how long it will eventually be, i may shorten it.

Hi everyone. Recently i received a very respectful message from a member here. The message advised me that may not be a good idea to make planes that incorporate designs that are the work of another modern maker and offer them for sale. Other advise was to make planes based on old makers such as Norris or Spiers.

I contacted Sauer and Steiner and there were others that were concerned about my plane too.

I don't want to offend anyone by making planes. I just wanted to make something I found to be of beauty and valued by others.

Beyond what I have in progress I will not produce any more planes of this design.
    I made it his plane out of admiration and in no way intended it to be a copy or rip off any other maker.

I am however a little disappointed as I was ultimately inspired to start to make planes not by the work of the old makers like Norris but by the exquisite modern work of Sauer and Steiner.

Wayne

Well, I can see their point if you were planning on offering them for sale. Don't let it stop you from imitating their designs to build planes for your own use.

Quote Originally Posted by wayjep View Post
    Hi everyone. Recently i received a very respectful message from a member here. The message advised me that may not be a good idea to make planes that incorporate designs that are the work of another modern maker and offer them for sale. Other advise was to make planes based on old makers such as Norris or Spiers.

I contacted Sauer and Steiner and there were others that were concerned about my plane too.

I don't want to offend anyone by making planes. I just wanted to make something I found to be of beauty and valued by others.

Beyond what I have in progress I will not produce any more planes of this design.
    I made it his plane out of admiration and in no way intended it to be a copy or rip off any other maker.

I am however a little disappointed as I was ultimately inspired to start to make planes not by the work of the old makers like Norris but by the exquisite modern work of Sauer and Steiner.

Wayne

Blog Entries

Is that actually a copy of another plane? You said "inspired by" which I'd see no issue with. I've seen many that look very similar to yours, can't see why someone would say something.

AK

Real Name
    Jason

Beautiful work!

Nothing wrong with being "Inspired By". When you get right down to it, everything is based off someone else work for inspiration.. From Beethoven to Ford. If it isnt a total copy they'd have no grounds.

I think the combination of saying you are inspired by their planes and making a plane for sale that has some superficial similarity to planes of theirs might be a little off.

But the solution is simple. For the other 4 if you have not cut all the parts, simply google some designs like Bugatti, rivet, porsche, etc... Particularly mid century, and find some high in the front low in the back inspiration that fits your design, but is "original" as far as planes are concerned. And apply that to your sidepanels. Or look at classical moldings. As in the Lee Valley book on moldings. Or get a book that tells you how to lay out formal geometrical shapes. Or as others have suggested find a classical plane maker long dead to copy. But I assume you like the K class because they are a little more modern looking. The majority of designers just copy, but even that calls for taste. There are some fun 50s cars, but I don't think I want fins on an infill. You can do it.

Copying a whole product is always a trial, if you get it right, it is only because you copied it. But if you get it wrong it is your lack of skill showing through. In most cases where I have copied, I had virtually nothing to go on, so the work was more original than it might have seemed. Might as well get the credit for it should it turn out.

I wouldn't show too many photos of that plane pushing a shaving like that, you have something from your breaker to your mouth trapping the shaving.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
    Beautiful work!

Nothing wrong with being "Inspired By". When you get right down to it, everything is based off someone else work for inspiration.. From Beethoven to Ford. If it isnt a total copy they'd have no grounds.
    I agree that as I mentioned above, it is really not a copy unless you proceeded calipers in hand. But as far as the lawyers (presumably never to be involved) are concerned, this thread is enough. And we should all also know in our own heads what we did and how we came to do it.

"I wouldn't show too many photos of that plane pushing a shaving like that, you have something from your breaker to your mouth trapping the shaving"

Hi, I'm not sure what you meant by this last statement?

Man, what a shame...

If someone wanted a Sauer and Steiner plane they'd buy it, not your "inspried" plane. I would guess the use of the phrase "production run" has those concerned up in arms.

At any rate, I have no doubt you've inspired some to also attempt to make their own planes as well.