FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Do you glue both sides?

Default Do you glue both sides?

I've always without thinking about it, glued both mating surfaces, and of course...often have to deal with too much squeeze out, sometimes I get it right, but when dealing with plywood, could you just glue the "end grain"?

Lyndsay

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Do you glue both sides?

I put a lighter amount on one sside than the other, just to make sure there is total adhesion. I usually have a wet rag handy to wipe off squeeze out.

I glue both surfaces, aiming for minimum squeeze out form total surface coverage. I use a spatula to spread the glue. Plywood edges get an extra heavy coating and a few minutes to soak in. I don't wipe off the squeeze out to avoid sealing the wood which affects finish penetration - I scrape in about an hour - when it's rubbery but not hard.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Ummmm....Frank? :-)

I only glue one surface, the other gets whatever is left on my finger...(which I *always* use to spread glue. It's a precision instrument that I can *always* find, it cleans up easily and doesn't have to be recycled or put away)
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
    I only glue one surface, the other gets whatever is left on my finger...(which I *always* use to spread glue. It's a precision instrument that I can *always* find, it cleans up easily and doesn't have to be recycled or put away)
    Plus, it cleans up good when you hit it with a hammer, and stick it in your mouth to ease the pain.
    JIM
    Calgary, AB

Real Name
    Ted

One side only unless I'm trying to seal the end grain ( in a futile attempt to glue end grain). I too use a finger and then wipe the excess on my pants, which accounts for my usual appearance.
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Lisa

I lay out all my jointed pieces to be glued up, on the pipe clamps...arrange them suitably to avoid knots, matching grains etc,,,,check for jointer snipe...

then turn each peice on edge in the same direction (except the first piece). pour a line of glue on each upward edge, then start at the second to the front piece, and turn and push each piece into the one in front of it.

Tighten clamps working from left to right so that I can level pieces as much as possible as I tighten them.
    How hard can it be? Guys do it everyday

I apply glue only to one side and clamp the parts together as hard as I can.
    I know, I know... glue starvation. Never happened to me, but some joints did fail when I clamped them too lightly. I read an article in FWW on the topic. The issue was whether all clamps provide sufficient clamping power. Not all do. As per the author of the article, there is a need for significant clamping power to force the glue into the wood grain. I have used that method since (about 3 years) and it works well for me.

I spread the glue with a tool someone suggested on this very forum - a foam brush with the foam removed after it's been used for finishing. The foam wraps a plastic part that works just perfect for the job.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Real Name
    Mike

I use a silicon basting brush with the bristles cut down to 1/2 inch. It was too floppy full length. Don't have to worry about cleanup. The glue dries on the brush but will not stick to silicon. Just pull it right off.

Thanks for the input, so I glued up my plywood box just gluing the 'end grain' and used the finger applicator pretty much spreading it out with a fair bit of pressure and ended up with just some beading of squeeze out after clamping down hard.

I usually use those little solder flux brushes to spread glue, especially to get it into the biscuit slots. For clean up I let it sit and used Paul's advice for letting it set, that worked quite well.