FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harassing phone calls

Default Harassing phone calls

Is anyone else getting almost daily calls from 866-391-2277 and 888-568-9679? Seems like a computer dialer and no one ever answers, so we can't ask to be taken off their call list. We are on the do not call list but that doesn't stop them, what a surprise. Getting to be a real pain in the arse.
    He who laughs last..............probably didn't get it

Blog Entries

Default Re: Harassing phone calls

I always figured those calls were actually trying to figure out when to call a location. Their system takes note when a call gets picked up, and whether it is a male or female or elderly answering, then that info is used to better target real calls to your location. I rarely answer any calls unless the name or number is recognizeable on my display.
    Kevin

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

I have call display and never answer any calls using the 866 or 888 area codes.

A lot of times it seems they spoof call display, who knows who is really calling when they can change what it says on it. But maybe next time you get a call for duct cleaning, tell them you have no ducts, only chickens

I rarely want to talk to anybody that phones. If it wasn't for the wife and kids I would have no phone at all.

I would suggest calling Bell to complain but I would rather get the calls than try to deal with Bell Customer Service.

Can you block those particular numbers?

If you Google these numbers this appears to be a very large occurance across Canada. It usually turns out to be a call centre looking for subsciptions to the National Post or Globe and Mail, newspapers are exempt from the do not call rule. As for Call Display not all our phones have it so it can get annoying.

Blog Entries

And why is it that newspapers are exempt. Makes no sense to me.
    Kevin

Who Can Still Call You?

Consumers should understand that registering on the National DNCL will reduce but not eliminate all telemarketing calls. There are certain kinds of telemarketing calls that are exempted from the National DNCL Rules.

The exemptions include telemarketing calls made by, or on behalf of:

Canadian registered charities;
    Political parties, riding associations and candidates; and
    Newspapers of general circulation for the purpose of soliciting subscriptions.
    Telemarketing calls from organizations with whom you have an existing business relationship are also exempt. You are considered to have an existing business relationship with a telemarketer if you:

Purchased, leased, or rented a product or service in the last eighteen (18) months from the telemarketer;
    Have a written contract with the telemarketer for a service that is still in effect or expired within the last eighteen (18) months; and/or
    Asked a telemarketer about a product or service within the last six (6) months.
    Telemarketers may also call you if you have provided express consent to be called. Express consent includes:

Your permission on a written form, electronic form, or an online form; or
    Your verbal permission.
    The National DNCL Rules do not apply to telemarketing calls made to businesses.

Seems I get at least 1 call per day from duct cleaners for the last few months. Irritating. I usually give them Kevin's tel # and suggest they call him because he might like their service. Now they can call him for the next 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie66 View Post
    A lot of times it seems they spoof call display, who knows who is really calling when they can change what it says on it. But maybe next time you get a call for duct cleaning, tell them you have no ducts, only chickens
    haha, I usually say 'sorry I have no ducks', then the indian gentleman says 'you have no ducts?', then I go 'ya, you know, ducks, quack quack quack'. By the time I get to the 3rd quack, they hang up on me.

I was told that if you have phone service through rogers, that you have the ability to block numbers via your online account manager.

Haven't dug into this myself as of yet. My three year old loves to talk on the phone...

I am home all day and some days the phone rings every 15 minutes - Rogers, RBC, vacation resellers, Disney, etc, etc. I rarely answer the phone - even if its someone I like! I have often asked to be removed from their lists, but they usually go back to calling after a couple of weeks. So, now, I just waste their time!

An effective method of handling these calls is to spend about 10 minutes stringing them along. Ask lots of questions, seem hesitant but interested, get everything from them you can. Then, after you've wasted a significant amount of their revenure generating time, tell them that you have ZERO interest and they should stop calling. Once they realize that YOU are prepared to waste THEIR time, they will remove you from their list forever!
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

I used to get a lot of calls for a carpet cleaning service. Then one day i asked if they could get out blood stains, lots and lots of blood stains. Never got another call.
    spcht

Real Name
    Mike

I went to the Do Not Call registry online and went to the file a complaint section. Typed in the phone number of the caller and a little description. It was a credit card consolidation outfit. They'd call every day. It's been 2 months now and no calls.

Real Name
    I.B.Woodworker

my phone has a hold button. I usually tell them that my wife will be there in a second and ask if they can hold. I have had one sit for almost 15 minutes before he gave up. if they hang up and ring back, i respond 'she is almost done, just hold one more second' then back on hold they go.

My other favorite is to not let them get a word in edgewize and start selling them chocolate fuzzy cookies for your childs sports team. 'if you are not going to buy for my daughter, then why would I buy from you?? Your not doing will with fostering a mutual business relationship'

Other times I just answer with 'Dougs duct cleaning. if you have ducts we can clean them' ... generally they just hang up right away.
    Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

The thing that drives me nutty is that they ususally don't answer, so what was the point of calling?

Most of the 1-8xx numbers originate from tele marketers located in the USA and represent Canadian Companies and when they do this they are not breaking any Canadian DNC rules....
    Don't do anything that you're not prepared to explain to a paramedic

Quote Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
    The thing that drives me nutty is that they ususally don't answer, so what was the point of calling?
    Two reasons -- at least:

One is the automated "Dialing for Dollars" that predicts when one of their phone operators will be available to pitch you based on stats collected by their marketing program -- it makes mistakes leaving dead air.

Two is that some companies sell the information of when you are most likely to be available to answer phone calls. Picking up the phone gives them that info.
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jim in Halifax View Post
    Most of the 1-8xx numbers originate from tele marketers located in the USA and represent Canadian Companies and when they do this they are not breaking any Canadian DNC rules....
    I think CRTC regulations covers that. It's not where the call comes from, it's who hired them in the first place.

This is a copy/paste from the CRTC web site?

"What happens to a US telemarketer who violates the Canadian National Do Not Call List rules?"

"Telemarketers from the US, and other countries, making calls to Canadian consumers must still follow the CRTC’s Unsolicited Telecommunications Rules, including the National DNCL Rules.

If a Canadian organization hires a telemarketing agency outside of Canada, and there's a complaint against the organization, it will be investigated by the CRTC. If a telemarketer has violated the Rules, the CRTC may impose a penalty of up to $1500 per violation for individuals and up to $15,000 per violation for corporations.

Remember that whenever you receive a telemarketing call, you can ask the caller to add your phone number to their internal do not call list."

I'm getting called three times a day everyday asking to clean my ducks, I started out by playing with them ( Joes pizza, Hows the weather ect.) but they are really not that much fun and hang up. Different number everytime and different voices. But holy cow I'm not kidding 3 times a day. I had one guy on t he phone for ten minute while I talked jibberish and he just didn't get it. I really don't want to go off spewing profanity but its getting to that point.