FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Jointer King - General International - Craftex

Default Jointer King - General International - Craftex

Hi everyone I'm still looking for a jointer and I'm wondering if there's much difference between any of the brands mentioned in the title? I'm familiar with General. My name has a shop full of older General machines and he loves them. I'm happy looking for an older machine, but I don't have much time to restore one to its past glory. I as at a shop in Ottawa yesterday that carries General International and King. I had the pleasure of using and old 16" General jointer last week. It was unbelievable.

Not sure what to do.

Matt

Default Re: Jointer King - General International - Craftex

There is a nice General joiner for sale in the swap meet area. Good price. If I had the $$$ and the week to go get it it would be gone.

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...inter-(6-quot-)

I agree with red, that is an excellent price but it is only 6 in if that is a concern. I personally would not put general Intl and Craftex in the same caliber unless you figure that a Chevette and Corvette are equal. Both will get you from point A to B but one is built a little different than the other.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Hi Guys thanks for this. I think the 6" might be a little small. I'd rather look for an 8" I think. It seems most people pick up a 6" an then wish they'd bought an 8".

Brian, that's great, I'm not familiar with Craftex so I wasn't sure of their quality. Are king machines decent?

Thanks very much.

Matt

I've had a 6 Inch GI with long beds for years and I've never seen the need for an 8 inch. Yes, an 8 inch will joint a wider board but I honestly have not had the need. I guess you have to ask yourself how many projects you will do using 8 inch wide boards.

Personally I believe 8 inch wide material has a better chance of cupping than a 6 inch wide board and in my experience most people can not use an 8 inch machine successfully. I don't know of anyone who stepped up to an 8 inch jointer and used it properly to flatten an 8 inch board the first time. What I did see was a lot of ruined material. There is a learning curve to a jointer and it ain't a short curve.
    "Do it Right!"

Have you looked at the planer sled option? Some love em, some hate em.
    I have never used one. But just sold a very nice 8" King that sat in the corner unused for several years.
    I pick my stock carefully, knock off any high spots with my hand plane, or in those instances where there is a lot, I use my Flatmaster sander. A surface does not have to be absolutely perfect before passing through the planer. If you can not pull this off in less than 1/2 hour or so, the piece likely needs to be cut down into smaller, less distorted sections.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by mwallace View Post
    Hi Guys thanks for this. I think the 6" might be a little small. I'd rather look for an 8" I think. It seems most people pick up a 6" an then wish they'd bought an 8".

Brian, that's great, I'm not familiar with Craftex so I wasn't sure of their quality. Are king machines decent?

Thanks very much.

Matt
    If you can get a King Industrial 8" parallelogram jointer you will love it. I've had mine now for about 10 yrs. and no problems at all. It is identical to the older DJ20s and has a nice long in feed table. I have done up to 10' long on it easily. The difference from 6-8" is like night and day. It will enhance your woodworking immensely.

mwallace,
    I own a CX08 jointer, which looks very similar to the King above except it has a mobile base that comes standard and a top mount switch. Love the 8" versus my old 6" and am very satisfied.

I would shop around and try and look at each machine before you purchase.
    I would highly recommend going 8" over 6", you'll thank yourself in the long run.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 05-14-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Removed comments regarding other member

My last post was edited because I referenced someone's name so I will rephrase. Be careful when people make label statements on a regular basis or constantly put down a brand or company. Usually that person has sour grapes or enjoys stirring the pot/bashing.
    I have a shop full of busy bee tools, 3 different CX series machines, along with many other brands including GI, King and a steel city air cleaner. In my actual experience, the CX machines are the best bang for the buck and the superior machines in my shop.

My 2 cents
    (sorry but it irks me that people can just bash and no one says anything when it's so obvious)

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Kris

I agree with Matt64 - be careful when you rely on others' opinions. Some people tend to have very strong preferences for or against one brand or another.
    I have bought a second hand Craftex jointer as my first "real" jointer and I've been very satisfied. It is very quiet, quite powerful, the surfaces are machined properly, the thing is reliable and as long as you wax the beds the operation is smooth. This is the model I have (CT086):
    http://www.busybeetools.com/products...A-CRAFTEX.html

Goof luck with your purchase!

Real Name
    Mick

I just ordered the Shopfox 8" Spiral from Elitetools in Levis, Quebec ( Quebec City is across river) but they also have the straight knife version , either machine is $30-50 more than the Craftex version but shipping was cheaper than BB. BB CX08SC still isnt available either (** manual says motor is 1 1/2hp not 3 but maybe typo, but they didnt answer my queries either.) , I was watching it since nov. last year and they keep delaying it, 1st Jan. then Feb , in Apr. told June , so gave up and went the SF way since the Grizzly GO490 gets good reveiws and it is the same Co.

the W1741S is CSA'd I am told and has a 2 yr warranty.

the straight version :

http://www.elitetools.ca/en/product/...justable-beds/

the spiral ( note it is the same machine only the HEAD is different)

http://www.elitetools.ca/en/product/...al-cutterhead/

A note for those out west SF does not have a warehouse in Bellingham as i was 1st told so my Jointer is seeing the US at present via ABFS freight Systems ie closer to 3 weeks than 3 days for del. as I was 1st told. But no blame on SF for that.
    Last edited by Kbird123; 05-18-2012 at 05:03 AM.