FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Finishing pine trim for windows

Default Finishing pine trim for windows

I have purchased Saman Oil Based Hybrid Varnish, semi-gloss, for our bare pine window trim indoors. I want the grain to stand out and the wood to change to a more amber or yellow tone. I have placed a test board outside with two coats on and tape adjacent to see if there is contrast between the covered area and the uncovered. There is some change over about 5 days. I just wonder if anyone else has used the product and if I can expect that the change will effectively bring out the pleasurable details of the pine over time, or will it not change much indoors? Would anyone recommend a different product that is not toxic, easy to apply and would dry quickly to obtain my desired effect? We tried Minwax Woodsheen, rubbing stain and finish, Manor Oak, but it goes on blotchy, has too much red and detracts from the natural wood appearance.

Default Re: Finishing pine trim for windows

I have pine window wells throughout the house, and wainscotting in the dining/living space that I installed close to 20 years ago. At the time we used Varathane waterbased in semigloss and I am absolutely amazed at how durable that finish has been. The sills could use a scratch and recoat because of feline traffic, but other than that it's still good. Its hard to notice the colour changing when you are living in it but I had to remove a piece of trim a while back and was surprised just how much it has changed. The exposed pine has a light amber colour to it now and makes me so glad I didn't add colour to it back then.

Thank you, Johan, for your experience with the amber pine development. I am now wondering if the new low E windows will allow for such ambering. I would gladly read some other comments or suggestions, before I actually undertake to use the Saman.

I've never used Saman, but have pine window sills throughout. My house is not yet three, and already there is a noticeable difference, so the Low E will really not be a deterrent.
    My last house had pine floors. When we removed the area rug, it looked as though there was still a rug down. The wood under the rug was as white as the day it was installed.
    Doesn't take long.
    Donna,
    Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Thank you so much for your replies! I feel confident enough to start working on the window trim!