FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Help identifying this 8" Jointer

Default Help identifying this 8" Jointer

Other than a picture I don't have much information about this jointer. I learned it came out of a school wood shop program and is quite old. It runs on 220v power and the guy selling it says that the knives can't be tightened as they don't have the usual hex bolts but some type of shim goes behind it. The seller does not know how to tighten the blades. I've asked him to look at the motor and elsewhere on the machine to give me an idea as to make/model.

I'm hoping I might be able to figure it out quickly and buy this big old boy. Maybe even an after market Byrd head?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Help identifying this 8" Jointer

Looks like General colours.

This model http://www.general.ca/site_general/g...ter/480-1.html
    Last edited by red_langford; 05-15-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Based on the fence and guard set up it looks to me like an older Craftex/ Busy Bee model. They were also green but colour is not a relieable indicator for the identification as schools were known for repainting their equipment.

I owned a six inch model and found it to be a well built machine dispite it's Asian origins$(KGrHqJHJ!wE-dZ64O8WBPss+GVgSw~~48_20.jpg

Real Name
    Mike Delyster

I also think it may be an older Busy Bee model, here is a link to the manual of a newer model but the fence looks a lot like the one in your picture.

http://www.busybeetools.com/product_manuals/CT108.pdf
    Mike @ Buck Lake

I saw that on Kijiji last night - is that price for real?
    (don't worry, i'm not gonna buy it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter in Maple Ridge View Post
    Other than a picture I don't have much information about this jointer. I learned it came out of a school wood shop program and is quite old. It runs on 220v power and the guy selling it says that the knives can't be tightened as they don't have the usual hex bolts but some type of shim goes behind it. The seller does not know how to tighten the blades. I've asked him to look at the motor and elsewhere on the machine to give me an idea as to make/model.

I'm hoping I might be able to figure it out quickly and buy this big old boy. Maybe even an after market Byrd head?

Thanks in advance.

and aren't some of the older Powermatic's green?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_R
    I saw that on Kijiji last night - is that price for real?
    (don't worry, i'm not gonna buy it!)
    Yes BUT he is having issues being able to tighten the knives. The guy is an industrial arts teacher so if he can't figure it out it must be a definite problem.

a new cutter head makes that problem go away, and that price is definitely gloat worthy. good luck!

If the price is right as someone mentioned a new head is a very viable fix. Even if you are unsure of the machine, if you remove the head and send it to Byrd they will make a duplicate with carbide inserts. I have a Bridgewood jointer and when I inquired about a new head I was informed that the model I have came with 3 different heads from 3 different manufacturers in Taiwan. As a lot of them those jointers were sold in the US they had the specs for all three and sent me PDF files which allowed me to determine which one I had.I have an older Powermatic shaper and it is that shade of green. It is hard to tell from pictures as the Asian stuff is copied from North American to begin with

Brian
    Last edited by Brian @ Muir; 05-16-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

It is an old Taiwan made machine.....possibly by Geetech. Probably imported by Canwood, King or other less known old importers. I doubt the green was original color also not original switch. Probably at new was about $800 machine. Not a General or Powermatic for sure. Doubt it was BB either.

A new Byrd head would be about $495.00....you might find someone who has already replaced theirs for a Byrd and want to get rid of their old head cheap.

Cole
    Canadian Woodworker Ltd.

Thanks for everyone's help. Now I just have to decide whether I save up my money for a combo unit or dive into this one.

I looked up Geetech Jointers online and think that Cole is correct. The images online appear to be very similar to the image I posted here.

Real Name
    Andre

the guy selling it says that the knives can't be tightened as they don't have the usual hex bolts but some type of shim goes behind it

I'm really curious to know more about this and if ever you buy the jointer please make sure to post some pics showing the cutter head and those mysterious shims.

Andre

I'm still on the fence on this one. Byrd Tools is sending me some information regarding their cutterheads and whether it would work with this beast. Just from talking with the seller I'm not to sure it's such a good deal. He posts that it runs well then goes on to say that adjusting the beds is difficult and believes it's just gummed up. He also talks about how dangerous it would be to try and run it because of the blade issues. To me that does not mean "runs well". I'll have to give it some thought.

My one car garage shop (which I don't see changing anytime soon ) would be better suited to a combination machine. I'd love to get a 12" combo machine like the Hammer but at $5000 locally I just can't afford that. I'm considering saving up some cash and getting the Jet 12" combo machine from Amazon.com. It got some great reviews and I like the one piece bed lift for changing from jointer to planer. It's only a couple of hours drive to the border towns in SK and can pick it up there. They are selling for $2199 with free shipping. I'd consider the Rikon but I really don't like their design regarding the non-moving infeed table that hampers the planer outfeed operations. Anybody own the Rikon and can comment on it?

I have read a few owners of Jet complaining about it going out of adjustment after a while (with change over between J/P). They liked the machine but
    were frustrated with having to make adjustments to beds of jointer. Just something to look into...

Quote Originally Posted by mreza View Post
    I have read a few owners of Jet complaining about it going out of adjustment after a while (with change over between J/P). They liked the machine but
    were frustrated with having to make adjustments to beds of jointer. Just something to look into...
    Good to know..thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peter in Maple Ridge View Post
    Good to know..thanks
    Why not have a look at the new Grizzly's?? -- Here's everything that you want -- http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-P...-G0634-/G0634Z .

Quote Originally Posted by Wally in Calgary
    Why not have a look at the new Grizzly's?? -- Here's everything that you want -- http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-P...-G0634-/G0634Z .
    That certainly is not off the table. I've purchased a 17" bandsaw and drum sander from them and have been quite pleased with the experience.

Unfortunately I'm a ways off my target as far as savings go for this combo machine.

The jointer I posted about is selling for a good price but I'll have to invest some money to get it working. but why invest the time, energy and money in something when what I really want is something else.