FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Amateur first Bottle Stoppers

Real Name
    Damien Vince

Default Amateur first Bottle Stoppers

Hello all,

in the spirit of some newbies posting pictures of their turnings, I thought I'd post a few of my bottle stoppers.

I had started making pens, but found that mundain tasks of matching micro-millimeters just got too boring for me. I started adding designs, but that made the pen a little harder to use, so I used my creative talent and started doing bottle stoppers. To date, I've probably made 35 or so, a few blowups, especially when I get down to some of these smaller sizes. As well, the goblets were 3 deep before I figured out the process on that.

All woods are exotics, Cocobolo mostly for the black ones, Monte Ebony, Black and White Ebony, Apple, and Figured Maple.

all comments, good and constructive are welcome.

IMG-20120517-00150.jpgIMG-20120516-00143.jpgIMG-20120402-00063.jpgIMG-20120516-00140.jpgIMG-20120516-00141.jpgIMG-20120516-00142.jpg

Damien Vince

Trust in the process of your life

Default Re: Amateur first Bottle Stoppers

Very nice tool work. Nicely shaped beads and balls. I especially like the set of 5 ebony? bottle stoppers.

Amateur? I think you were born with the turning fever! As Jamie said you did a great job with balls and beads.

Murray

I really like those goblet stoppers with the bottle one, very unique! Ive always wanted to work with ebony but as yet have never had the opportunity. Did you use a finish on it or is it the woods natural finish?

Real Name
    Dave Bell

Great looking stopprs Damien. You should give your work a new look by adding resin casing to your projects including the pen blanks.

Dave

Blog Entries

I really like your creativity! Most stoppers I have seen are the basic upside down cone shape without any flair.

The 5 ebony? on the curved display stand out to me ... the last one looks like Frosty (the snowman).

AK

Real Name
    just what you thought :^')

Very nice work Damien , your turnings are worth the best Stainless Steel stoppers around, You find them by Ruth Niles SS stoppers.

(you have to be careful with the chrome plated ones, the wines, especially red wine will have the plating come off, not something you would like to happen to your stopper buyers/receivers)

Also for some more design ideas there are many to see in her gallery from all over and all kinds of turners and carvers even glass blower/artists

If you look long enough you can maybe find a few I made

http://www.torne-lignum.com/Artist.Gallery.htm

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Real Name
    Damien Vince

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, its quite the hobby that I enjoy. keeps me off the streets and... out of the house.

I'll have a look through, I'm always needing new designs. I'm waiting on 20 burl blanks to add more variety and likely start looking at how to dye them to add more color.

I did a farmers market on Wednesday, my first ever, what an easy way to make a hard living... not a single sell, but the weather was bad, and it was the first market of the season. I'll get some more product, as well as build more of a display stand and I'll be good to go again in a few weeks.
    Damien Vince

Blog Entries

The site International Association of Penturners (IAP) may be of interest to you. There are lots of people making bottle stoppers. Based on the comments I've read they seem to be a hard sell. Most get the feedback of "why would I need one as I'll never leave a half finished bottle".

Leo made a great point about the quality of the stoppers you use. There are known issues with longevity of the chrome ones.

Again, great designs!

Real Name
    Bill

Very nice work!

I have thought about making bottle stoppers but I just can't see why I would want one. Apart from the scarcity of a part bottle, I like to stand opened bottles on end and fancy stoppers tend to make the impossible in my refrigerator.

Of course, I'm also the guy who would never spend $25+ for a pen either since I would have to keep a close eye on it so I don't lose it which is the fate of most of my pens.

I've never tried to sell anything but from what I understand is that the venue must match the price range of your products. Don't plan on selling expensive items at a location, such as a flea market, where the audience is looking for very inexpensive bargains. How a farmer's market rates in this regard, I don't know.

billh

Real Name
    Damien Vince

I've heard the same sentiments: never need a bottle stopper and it wont fit in the fridge...

alas I will truck on to try and see what I can do. I have some cheaper kits coming with real corks and dowels so I will be able to sell some less expensive ones. Along with that, I'm thinking about adding Eggoscopes and some pens to the market to see if I can get people to the booth and have something to hold in their hands and play with.

I'll have a look at the Pen association, thanks for the site link.

In reality I don't really turn for the money, I do it because its enjoyable and mind soothing... I just don't know what I"m going to do with 40 stoppers ;)

Does anyone know if you can buy the Ruth Niles stoppers here in Canada? I dislike buying from the US with customs, duty and shipping.
    Last edited by Diicode; 05-18-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    Damien Vince

Real Name
    Bill

Yes, Lionel Bedard in Ottawa area. Also now selling Doug Thompson lathe tools. Lionel's link is:

http://www.belgreenwood.com/Ruth_Nil..._Stoppers.html

billh

Damien, nice bunch of stoppers. I also like the wine goblets and bottle, very unique.
    Here is a couple of suggestions.... The stoppers you have done with pointy ends are sometimes hard on the hand. I would stick to a more rounded of flat top portion.
    Also, you may like the looks of a few different colors of wood combined, so why note try laminating a few small pieces togther.... just a thought.
    I have made a few of these things for friends and they are always well received. Keep up the good work.

Real Name
    Damien Vince

Actually laminations are on my list, i am waiting on a 4" jointer coming to me to gethe edges perfect.

I did try to turn an ice cream cone, used the black and white ebony and a piec if monte ebony on top, but it flew apart on a catch.
    Damien Vince

Real Name
    George

Damien, Nice work, but I agree with Brian, the Pointy Ones are not a good idea.
    Most of the ones I do are laminations of some type. Glue Line Rip Blade on my saw with a O clearance insert and I get cuts good enough to laminate without going to the jointer.
    Again, Good Job.
    George
    Forgiveness is easier to get than Permission