FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: How much bend in a back saw blade is acceptable?

Default How much bend in a back saw blade is acceptable?

Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of info. I have been using my Veritas cross-cut Carcass saw for a few months and I really like the feel of it. I have been noticing that while sawing, I often end up getting a bit of jamming from the saw mid cut. I am trying to maintain proper position, not handle things too tightly and keep a good stance, but it continues to jam slightly. When I was examining the blade tonight I noticed that there is a slight bend in the blade that starts about a third from the end and continues for approximately 3 inches towards the back. Since I am fairly new to this, I am not sure if this happened while cutting (who knows, it might have), but I feel like there hasn't been anything that I would have done that would have been able to bend the blade. In any event, I am just curious to know at what point a bend is a problem. Do all saws have a little bit of bend or warp or are most quality back saws dead straight? Just to clarify, it's hardly noticeable, but I can see it when i look down the blade. Any and all info is much appreciated.

Brian
    Last edited by b_houf; 05-19-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Default Re: How much bend in a back saw blade is acceptable?

Dead straight is preferable. If this is a saw you bought new you should contact them for advice, and don't do anything to it unless they tell you to. With old saws, depending on what kind of saw it is, and what your cutting with it, I've found that you can have a few wobbles with no ill effect, as long as it doesn't bind, or wander. It is probably just a spine adjustment issue, but let the warranty do it's job if their is one.

Toby

Ya a new saw like that should be dead straight. You'd have to bind it up something aweful to get a bend in the Veritas saw back as they are very rigid and tough. If the spine is still straight but you managed to just kink the saw plate, then you would have noticed that as well. Contact Lee Valley and see what they will do for you. I have refurbed a few vintage back saws that have saw plates not perfectly straight and they still cut fine as long as the teeth are set and sharpened properly.
    Formerly known as "Ryan in Edmonton "

GALLERY OF PROJECTS: http://lumberjocks.com/galleries/Boomr99#

Thanks, I have contacted customer service at Lee Valley and I guess I will wait and see what they say. I do appreciate the feedback.

Couple of things while you are waiting.

Assume your stance, now close your eyes and get comfortable. In most cases the saw will now be floating at a different angle normally more open. Use this drill at first to ensure that your position is actually natural and not cramped. You can actually take this further and apply the principle first to your feet, then chest, then arms. Reposition right down to the feet for each new sawing angle. After a while it is all second nature, but at first taking a little extra time can help

Second, you seem to say there is a straight section in a few inches of the blade, have you tried to cut thinner material with just that section.

So...what did they say?

Toby

So I contacted Lee Valley, and, as usual, the response was above and beyond what you usually get from many other companies. One of the employees contacted me through email and explained that he would send a new saw for me to try out. He said he was even going to test it out himself and make sure that there wasn't going to be any problems with it. Within a couple of days I got it in the mail and the new saw is "dead straight". As well, in testing the new one I have not experienced the same sort of problems. So I am sending back the old one. I really like that I can count on a company like Lee Valley to not only provide high quality products, but also to provide such high quality customer service if there is any problems. THanks again to everyone for their advice and help in this issue.
    Brian