FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Looking for Delta DJ-20 8" jointer part

Real Name
    Dale

Default Looking for Delta DJ-20 8" jointer part

Hi All,

I have a DJ-20 that needs a new bracket where the bed adjustment handle screws into. Mine on my out feed table was busted when I bought the machine used. Seller was less than honest, but I did get a decent deal for the unit. Wonder why! The one thing I missed looking over the machine before striking a deal. I've rigged the machine to work, and can use the jointer, but would like to fix it properly.

It seems that every repair shop I talk too tells me good luck but they can't help and send me to web sites to order the part. Every site I visit is back ordered with no date in site. I had a order in with Ace Tool Repair for two weeks with no change in status. Not liking Delta service much anymore!

I know it's a long shot, but I thought I'd see if anyone has knowledge of a machine being parted out, or a place that I might try to find the part.

Cheers!
    Dale

Real Name
    Mike Delyster

Default Re: Looking for Delta DJ-20 8" jointer part

Hello Dale
    I'm not sure of the part you need but see if you can find it here.
    http://www.ereplacementparts.com/del...32d93203e35a58
    Mike @ Buck Lake

Real Name
    Dale

Thanks Mike,

I looked at all the online parts vendors as well as the local stores. They are all out of stock with no idea when they will get more. I think my only chance is used for the moment at least.
    I might even look at milling or having a cast made from one. Probably a bit expensive!
    This is the part I'm looking for. It's number 108. $30 worth.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rbjygihf5...7-350A.pdf.jpg
    Last edited by WoodNuts; 05-21-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Add picture properly?

Real Name
    Dale

One more try.

I've heard some people say the King joiner is the same as DJ 20.
    Have a look at Kings KC80FX http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=113&ID=918
    Here's the parts diagram and list http://www.kingcanada.com/Files/KC-8...ice_manual.pdf. Do you suppose the King part would be available and fit your Delta? Bit of a long shot but it's a possibility.

Real Name
    Mike Delyster

Hi Dale
    In the link I posted it shows item number 108 as being available for $31.06. Also as Rick pointed out a few different companies built clones of this jointer I have the Steel City version and looking at the manual it looks as if the part would be the same. Busy Bee, Grizzly also have versions of this jointer.
    Mike @ Buck Lake

Real Name
    Dale

Hi Mike,
    Mike, yes the web site says will ship in 7 to 11 days. It's said that for two weeks now. It a false lead. Ace tool Repair plays the same game. Very annoying.

Good idea about the clones. I never thought of that. I'll start looking to see if I can find something from the others. Thanks! Will let you know if I'm successful.

Cheers!
    Dale

Real Name
    Mike Delyster

I've ran into that problem in the past myself. Here is a link to the Grizzly clone of your jointer, looks like you would need part number 110 which they have listed as $6.50, cheap enough if it will work for you.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0490/parts/TABLE

Here is a link to the manual of the Bust Bee jointer, they have it listed as part number 110 also, might be worth a trip into Busy Bee to have a look at it in person and decide if it will work for you. Good luck.

http://www.busybeetools.com/product_manuals/CX08.pdf
    Mike @ Buck Lake

Good luck on your hunt. I purchased a Delta Drum sander 2 years ago. The owner told me he couldn't get it to run right. After much tinkering and several diassemblies I found one of the elevator bolts to be bent (a $16 part). It took me 8 months to get a new one. I was extremely frustrated with the lack of customer service and parts availability. The experience left me such a bad taste for Delta Tools I swore I'd never buy another Delta Tool again (new or used).

They don't seem to care about their customers or the bad wrap that they're now getting and so deserve!!! Regardless of the price they are now manufacturing throw away tools like so many of the Asian manufacturers do.
    Have a good day and play safe!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodNuts View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Mike, yes the web site says will ship in 7 to 11 days. It's said that for two weeks now. It a false lead. Ace tool Repair plays the same game. Very annoying.

Good idea about the clones. I never thought of that. I'll start looking to see if I can find something from the others. Thanks! Will let you know if I'm successful.

Cheers!
    Dale
    Members on some of the US Forums have been going on about Delta parts for some time now.. even calling parts back into central distn. Leads one to believe there's something going on. Could be there are many years supply of some parts out in their network and by repatriating them it delays making another batch and allows them to capitalize what they have already in hand. Just speculation.

Real Name
    Dale

Well, I ordered the "Clone" part from Busy Bee today. $20 and should be in 2 or 3 weeks. Fingers crossed it fits.

Grizzly had the part for $6!! But ad a $50 Canadian order minimum, $20 shipping by only UPS, and probably $30 UPS customs charge, well, you get the idea. King had it for $45 plus shipping. BB seems best bet right now.

Not sure I'll buy Delta again, but for maybe used at a "Very" good deal and with clone parts available.

Thanks to all who helped with links and good advice! When the part arrives, I'll let you all know the outcome.

Cheers!
    Dale

Real Name
    Dale

Well the saga continues. Busy Bee called yesterday and said the part would now be 2 to 3 months away! Nice! Quote me 2 to 3 weeks, take my money, then call a a week latter extending the delivery date. What the????!!

Guess I'll try King now. Might have to machine one myself with a dremel tool. That shouldn't take too long....... sigh.

Cheers!
    Dale

Real Name
    Guess

Dale, PM me the Grizzly part number.

Mark

Real Name
    Mike Delyster

I posted a link to the Grizzly manual earlier, post #8. It has the part numbers listed.
    Mike @ Buck Lake

Real Name
    Dale

PM'd you Mark.

You have an inside track?

Cheers!
    Dale

Real Name
    Dale

Well, thanks to "very" helpful and caring chaps on this forum, I'm now in possession of the part I've been looking for. It's green, not grey, but that does not matter. I can now fix my beloved jointer properly.

Heads up about parts for Delta tools. Don't expect them from Delta. I'll only buy Delta tools that have been cloned to death from now on.

Thanks to everyone that was able to help out.

Cheers!
    Dale

Real Name
    Mike Delyster

Glad to here things worked out for you Dale. Where did you end up getting the part from?
    Mike @ Buck Lake