FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mastercraft table saw alignment

Default Re: Mastercraft table saw alignment

It's hit and miss I've returned so many power tools from CT until I got the right one. I think the Maximum jigsaw got returned 3 times, cordless hammer drill 3 times as well. That table saw will be the third time first time the blade wouldn't come up the replacement I got the motor was fried and now I just had enough it's in the box and getting returned I just hope they will give me my money back. I know they are great for exchange but a refund after a week???? Not sure!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darius View Post
    Don't worry about that. Bashing CT is very popular here. Like any vendor, CT carries some good stuff and some junk. I have some CT tools and I would challenge any body to tell a difference between two pieces of lumber routed with a $100 (on sale) CT router and a $350 Freud.

Although, when it comes to tables saw offered by CT I don't think they carry anything worth even half of the sale prices.

Real Name
    Steve Morris

i wouldnt consider my comments about that saw to be ct bashing, i have owned many mastercraft tools, most of them mechanics tools and they are great, had a mastercraft thickness planer, it was a good machine, as is my ct compressor.

that saw is total garbage, i know ive used several of them and the sears clone. it cant be adjusted, very poorly built and dangerous. the ryobi isnt much better.

the horsepower claims for that type of equipment is also ludicrous.
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

I've owned a Bosch portable at one time for site work and it was reasonable. My partner now owns a Skil cheapo and it's reasonable too, with better dust collection. Not nearly as refined, if that's possible in this category, but it cuts with about the same degree of frustration as did the Bosch. I think any amount of money spent over a $150 in this area is a waste. Portables that run around the $500 mark just make people dream of something better.

Cutting a 4x8 on anything this size is nuts....you need major support or manpower. I own a large cabinet saw. It has a 5' rear table extension and large sliding side table and I would consider this the MINIMUM safe size for full sheets.

Even a circular saw with a homemade edge guide will do a better job than a portable for breaking down sheets.
    Paul

Real Name
    Brian

I have one of the cheapest tablesaws CT sells, that I use to cart around if I am working on something outside of my shop. With a half decent blade, it works fine for me as a hobby woodworker. I was able to adjust the blade to within 4 thou of paralell with the mitre slots (measured with a lee valley dial indicator)

Would I use a saw like this to build fine furniture professionally? not a chance.

Does it work for occasional use where perfection isn't absolutely critical? absolutely.

Before you spend rediculous amounts of money, decide what you want out of the saw, and go from there.

PS. I fell victim to the "stevem syndrome" and bought a rockwell/beaver tablesaw used off of Kijiji, it works great and is for sure better than the mastercraft saw.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    i wouldnt consider my comments about that saw to be ct bashing, i have owned many mastercraft tools,
    I complete agree with Steve on both points. The saw in question is garbage, and that opinion is based on experience not any unfounded hate for mastercraft. Many CT tools are not garbage. I own many all will continue to buy them selectively.

Quote Originally Posted by bbain32 View Post
    PS. I fell victim to the "stevem syndrome" and bought a rockwell/beaver tablesaw used off of Kijiji, it works great and is for sure better than the mastercraft saw.
    Now this is funny....

Got the DeWalt 745 today as an exchange. Reason: Doesn't do what it suppose to do and too dangerous to operate That's what I told the lady! I haven't done any cuts yet with the DeWalt I just set it up and still reading the manual. So far it seems pretty good better built that the MC one the only thing I noticed is how crappy the mitre gauge is!! Looks like it belongs on a Fisher Price table saw really doesn't fit the quality of the saw, the fence is solid and accurate. The blade is off by less than 1/16th from the mitre slot but I think it's acceptable since the fence is dead on and the wood won't get pinch between the blade and the fence. The action to lower and raise the blade is pretty smooth also.