FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Splitter width VS. blade width (on GI 50-175 TS)

Default Splitter width VS. blade width (on GI 50-175 TS)

Now that I'm the owner of a GI 50-175 TS, I'm about to purchase a blade for it. Previously I used a Forrest WWII thin kerf on a TS that had no splitter.

Now that this new saw has a splitter, I decided to get the vernier out and measure the thickness of it before putting the WWII on it. I measured the thickness at 2.6mm (.102"), and the thickness of the WWII I also measured at 2.6mm. I believe the stated thickness of the WWII is 3/32 (.09375").

For the life of me, I can't find a minimum blade thickness that can be used on the 50-175, although I swear I read it somewhere once..

Anyways, my concern is that this splitter is too thick for a thin kerf blade. Which is a shame, because I prefer using them.

Mike

Real Name
    Steve Morris

Default Re: Splitter width VS. blade width (on GI 50-175 TS)

this is not an uncommon problem of course, obviously a thin kerf blade cannot be used with that splitter

my only suggestion of course is a thinner splitter, is it a fairly simple shape that can be cut from a suitable sheet material?, steel or aluminum?

that would be a somewhat pricy but certainly a permanent solution since a machine shop would probably be involved

you should try to find a splitter (3/32) for a 60 yr old beaver!!, i wish i could
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

Thanks Steve, the reason I got this new saw was because I couldn't find a splitter for my Beaver TS.. so I know what ya mean.

Good suggestion about making one actually... it is just a simple piece of sheet steel, meaning I could CAD it and get it laser cut for pretty cheap. But I don't think I have the time to spend on that project right now... so looks like I'll be getting a full kerf blade.

Mike

A merlin splitter is a thin kerf splitter that is designed to work with that saw. You can find it on the General web site. Quick removal and replacement. Probably others as well - maybe less expensive.

http://www.general.ca/site_excalibur...s/50-mtke.html
    Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn from Winnipeg View Post
    A merlin splitter is a thin kerf splitter that is designed to work with that saw. You can find it on the General web site. Quick removal and replacement. Probably others as well - maybe less expensive.

http://www.general.ca/site_excalibur...s/50-mtke.html
    Wow, I never knew this existed.. very cool! Shame there's no guard on it though...

Somewhere on that same site there should be something called a blade cover - will connect to vacuum. There are two versions, one a side mounted version that attatches to the right edge of your saw table and another less expensive version (relatively new) that attaches to the cieling. You might be able to find the older one used - as I did (lucky)

Then again, seach this forum, there are a number of threads with really nice user built blade covers complete with pictures

Good luck
    Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

There are other products to consider too depending on what you want...
    splitter only, removable splitter, dust extraction etc.
    Some examples..
    http://www.thesharkguard.com/sharkguard.php
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...080,51225&ap=1
    http://www.busybeetools.com/products...CX-SERIES.html
    I don't see any reason to revert to Standard kerf blades when you have so many choices of TK splitters. You can use a TK splitter for either TK or Standard kerf blades but you can't use a Standard kerf splitter safely for TK blades.
    Test show there lots of modern TK blades available nowadays that produce good quality, clean cuts but put less stress on the motor, save some lumber and result in easier stock feeding. FWW #204 (Mar/Apr 2009) tests show 10-15% less power is required for TK depending on depth of cut.
    Last edited by Rick Thom; 05-27-2012 at 05:42 AM. Reason: sp