FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Need help on how to finish curved corner stair island

Default Need help on how to finish curved corner stair island

Hi all
    I'm refinishing floor in whole house. So far finished second floor only. I'm laying prefiinshed hardwood. At that point I'm at staircase going down to first floor.
    Staircase is curved and it makes dead corned in opposite side which is 5' x 5' with curved hypotenuse (chord = 7'). I did not do any math yet to calc radius.
    My issue is that I do not know how to professionally finish this corner. Should I use hardwood and custom bullnose. Or there are other options?

I did some pictures during demolition and also there is a picture of new floor near top stair step. I'm planning to install 11' 4" bullnose to finish 2nd floor opening.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Steve Morris

Default Re: Need help on how to finish curved corner stair island

if it were my house id a herringbone pattern in the hardwood flooring up to a custom made 3 or 4 piece nosing
    or even make the nosing up by laminating several layers around a pattern to suit the install

my choice would be to try laminating to make up a one piece nosing, be fun to try
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

I'd template it and make / have made a bullnose to match. I would run the flooring diagonally to the walls, that would be the easiest way to fit the flooring to the curved bullnose piece and have the least amount of seasonal movement therefore the best way to keep your joints tight.

For a small area that you have as Dave suggested I would template it. Rather than lay flooring A piece of 3/4 in Plywood with a veneer same as flooring and stained to match would also be an alternative. I would still include a made up bullnose.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Ah... the infamous stair crescent and how to finish it.

You can make a template, take it to a railing shop and have a nosing made. Then you can install hardwood on it, but...

I've suffered through a couple of instances where building inspectors said that if flooring is installed, it is deemed as part of the floor and it must have a railing installed on it. Not a good look.

Also have had hardwood installers refuse to work on it for safety reasons unless a proper work platform was constructed, essentially blocking off the whole staircase for them and others who might want to work upstairs.

Don't ask about the days before prefinished flooring, when the crescent had to be sanded and finished.

Now I insist on a piece of mdf covering the whole crescent, with a piece of mdf casing installed on the front edge. The trimmer installs it. the painter paints it, the inspector passes it, and the client puts a vase or some photos on it.

Other options would be Carpet or Tile but even if you do either you would still probably want a bullnose. The part that will make or break the job is the seam/joint where the flooring meets the bullnose. You could follow a plywood template/pattern with a router and a bearing by laying it all out and precutting it. If you go that route make the bullnose first and use it to make the template.
    "Do it Right!"

Quote Originally Posted by bender View Post
    I've suffered through a couple of instances where building inspectors said that if flooring is installed, it is deemed as part of the floor and it must have a railing installed on it. Not a good look.
    So if you finish the entire floor in a material other than "floor finish" I guess you don't need rails anywhere. If you get that one from a building inspector again ask him where it say that the finish on an area denotes whether it gets a railing or not.

I can see an argument for having a railing installed if there is any access for anyone (a child for instance) to climb onto it and expose themselves to a fall of over 24" regardless of the finish. The finish has nothing to do with it

I don't want to get on a tangent that changes the subject of the thread. Suffice it to say that sometimes, in the interest of self preservation, I have had to consent to arbitrary measures. My long experience with inspectors is that battles with them yield, at best, Pyrrhic victories.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Lisa

A Pyrrhic victory is a victory with such a devastating cost to the victor that it carries the implication that another such victory will ultimately cause defeat.

I had to look that word up so I thought I might save others the trouble....very suitable word!
    How hard can it be? Guys do it everyday

Quote Originally Posted by bender View Post
    My long experience with inspectors is that battles with them yield, at best, Pyrrhic victories.
    Bender, BI's powers only extend to the point where something you do doesn't meet the building code or cover up work prior to an inspection. They aren't perfect and if you know how to build and know the codes you have nothing to fear from them. I question them all the time, I ask for citations and explanations, I do it respectfully and professionally and I've never had a problem with a BI they are usually more than happy to explain and will grudgingly admit when they are wrong provided you treat them with respect. Ministry of labour inspectors are another story.

Thanks everyone for advises.
    I looked around the city and found several places which makes custom treads. In one of them I was priced around 250 - 350 depending on exact size for this landing made as one piece with bullnose matching stair treads. Is it fair price? In this case I just put it in and then stain together with stair.
    It will look as contemporary step 3/4 thick with 1.5" square nosing. Similar to how countertops are done.

Id say it's a fantastic price. You couldn't do it yourself for much less and the job will probably be perfection.
    "Do it Right!"