FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: May 25 auction

Default May 25 auction

So who else was at the auction on Friday? Ed and I went, and we ran into Craig & Scott, and we saw a number of familiar dealers from the TOTT show.

Too bad the auctioneer didn't sell the tools in the morning, as I had to be home by noon. I did manage to pick up a small 2-man cross cut saw, a double bit axe head, and a sledge hammer.

I brought the axe head and the saw to our Scout camp on the weekend. Gave the saw a quick sharpening and set the kids to work cutting firewood. I pulled a good piece of white ash from the wood rack to make a handle for the axe. I got the head fitted, just needs shaping of the handle now. It will be a 3/4 axe, not full length. If it doesn't work I can always make another.

Anyone else pick up anything interesting?

Darrell
    OMG the shop is a mess, I gotta have a Galoot BBQ soon so I have a need to clean up!
    Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Default Re: May 25 auction

I stuck around for the tools. Some stuff went for cheap. Almost got that sash plane, but got outbid. Rest of the moulding planes went for okish prices. I'm sure we will see them again at TOTT in the fall.

The Stanley low angle jack went for relatively cheap. I got a cooper's compass plane. The braces went for not great prices. The wooden jointer and jack planes went for pretty cheap.

I didn't stick around for the anvil. It was after 2pm by the time he got done the tools and they were still futzing around with more dishes and stuff in the far corner.

Was good to see everyone. Are you doing a straight handle on it, or a different style?

Hi Scott,

Too bad about the sash plane. What did it end up going for, do you remember?

I started working on a straight handle for the axe, got it fitted and wedged, but I may knock it off and start again, as the piece ended up too skinny after some over-exuberant drawknife work.

Shiny enough for yah?
    Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

I want to say 35-40 is around where it went to. It was all the planes on a shelf, and your choice per plane. That is the only one that went for that money, the rest went much cheaper.