FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Saw/Jointer Combo Project

Default Saw/Jointer Combo Project

My buddy has been looking for a TS recently, so while browsing Kijiji trying to find him one, I spotted something I liked the look of in the form of a tablesaw/jointer combo for a very reasonable price. I went to look at it and the guy said it was in the way and needed it gone asap, so I quickly went home and returned with tools so I could strip it and get it in my car.

In my haste I forgot to take some photos of it assembled, but it looks the similar as the one in the first photo below, apart from the jointer being a Beaver.

Everything looks to be there and in good order apart from the TS blade guard which is missing - it even comes with the molding cutter head. The saw is 10" and badged as a Delta serial no. 78-8507. The jointer is 61/2 x 42" and badged as a Beaver 4800. The original fence, mitre guage and dust chute are also present and in good condition, as is the mounting table, but the original dual motor has be changed for 2 singles.

I'll re-assemble it and take some photos before I start the resto on it, but for now you can have a couple of it stripped into car sized peices.

Has anyone seen one of these before, and are they worth much?

_MG_4648.jpg

_MG_4644.jpg

_MG_4649.jpg

Real Name
    Steve Morris

Default Re: Saw/Jointer Combo Project

interesting combination!!

first the tablesaw is a tilt table delta, 10 inch i think you told me. the jointer is actually a rockwell 37-220 rebadged beaver and made in guelph

beaver, delta and rockwell were all interrelated after 1954, so there was lots of "crossover" product if in fact your combo was sold origanally as you now have it

tilt top tablesaws kinda disappeared in north america in favour of the tilting arbour, on a tilttop the table tilts and goes upand down for blade adjustments. the big advantage was that the motor could be rigidly mounted on those saws

the beaver 4800/rockwelldelta 37-220 is a well respected machine and a nice score. rockwell made them for decades with very few changes. the beaver version as far as i know, is identical. it replaced the hugely complex beaver 3800 shortly after rockwell bought beaver in 54

the origanal combo machine as shown in the pic from vintage, shows the rockwell flare leg stand and a double shaft motor to drive both machines

post some more pics especially the badges, stand and motor
    Last edited by stevem; 06-11-2012 at 06:22 AM.
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

Rich- These were good heavy duty saws which they continued to sell for sometime after the development of the Unisaw. I have seen many of these combos for sale in the $150 to $200 range, some even lower. It would be worth more with the original motor. As witnessed by your first pics it will fix up nicely. Just be carefull with the casting for the tilt mechanism, they are notoriously brittle and are prone to cracking and loosing teeth. Parts including a replacement guard are not that hard to find although they can be pricey.

As for the combo I suspect it was not original as the saw predates the jointer by several years. This may be the reason you have two motors.

Major drawback of the saw can be the tilting table but that depends on how much bevel cuttiing you do. All in all a nice find.Good luck with it.

By the way,I thought you moved.(hint)

Haha, sorry Gerry - is that better?!

The table looks the same as the one pictured, apart from the wheels, mine doesn't have any. I've had a look through the ones posted on OWWM and there seem to be quite a few combos on there that look similar. I'll get it back together this week and get some decent photos.

The guy wanted $75, I offered him $25 and we settled on $30, I'm happy with that!

Real Name
    Mike Delyster

Thought you might like these, a couple of combo machines.
    19.jpg
    20.jpg
    Mike @ Buck Lake

Real Name
    Steve Morris

30 bucks for a nice saw and a beaver 4800(aka 37-220)?

thats worthy of a big "YOU SUCK"!!
    steve, sarnia, ont

Quote Originally Posted by Richardo View Post
    Haha, sorry Gerry - is that better?!

The table looks the same as the one pictured, apart from the wheels, mine doesn't have any. I've had a look through the ones posted on OWWM and there seem to be quite a few combos on there that look similar. I'll get it back together this week and get some decent photos.

The guy wanted $75, I offered him $25 and we settled on $30, I'm happy with that!

WOW! I'd be happy too.

Rich - This combo has a jointer that appears to be of the same vintage as yours. Looks like I could be wrong yet again.
    http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...il.aspx?id=171

Real Name
    Steve Morris

Gerry, that sure looks like the 42 inch 37-220, on a combo machine

it does seem odd though that a beaver 4800 jointer wound up on a combo machine with a delta tilt top saw unless of course somebody(even a dealer) changed it

i wonder if the tilttops were ever made in guelph, i didnt think they were

my theory is that a customer wanted a combo with a longer jointer, so the dealer switched them or of course a previous owner did later on
    steve, sarnia, ont

I guess if it was available as a single sku from the manufacturer, it should be considered a "combo". However I'm wrestling with the classification seeing as its basically two completely separate machines (available individually) sharing a table and being ran off a single motor.

When I think "combo" I think of something like Crescent's Universal Woodworker, or the like.

At any rate, it's going to be nice to see something a little different being restored on the forum. I'm looking forward to following along.