Minwax Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane turning dresser yellow, please help
I just finished painting an old wood dresser for my grandchild. I started with primer, then 2 coats of white water based satin paint with sanding in between and then put on a coat of semi gloss minwax water based oil modified polyurethane. This morning I see a few places that hace yellowed.
One is a drip on side that I can sand out but the top where it was applied thinly has some sheens of yellow in it.
What can I do? Am I using the wrong stuff.
I would appreciate any help.
It could be the poly. If it's oil modified I presume it's not water clear but has a slight amber. This would be exaggerated where the finish is thicker ie in the drip or if the top is not dead flat then it will be thicker in the sunken areas.
It might also not be that and other things to check are is the poly designed to go over latex. Not all are.
Also what was the cure time you gave for the latex and what had the dresser been finished with previously. I had a problem like this once before where I hadnt let the white cure properly over some mdf and impurities were drawn out over a short time and trapped under the clear coat. If your dresser had been oiled or waxed it maybe that the sanding process didn't get all of it off or out of deeper layers. To solve my problem I scuffed back the clear and then put another white coat over it (since the clear was now acting as an impervious barrier) and then clear coated over the top. Funnily enough I saw them at the client's yesterday for the first time in 2 years and they look great still and importantly - white.