FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Junk Science Week...

Default Re: Junk Science Week...

Quote Originally Posted by J. Vibert View Post
    Never feed a stray dog...
    Comments like this are not helpful and are the type that start flame wars in the group. I would appreciate it if you would simply not make them.
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by willr View Post
    Dave_K:

I know for a fact this is simply not true.
    Do you have examples?

Quote Originally Posted by dave_k View Post
    Do you have examples?
    I do. Not from Canada for obvious reasons. I don't need a perfectly competent person arrested for no reason.

Here is one:

I work with one person -- a company owner -- of a family company. They possess a grade Eight education. They also happen to be one of the best Mechanical "Engineers" I have ever worked with and regularly design machines for ore processing and mineral exploration. Even in the country where they work they are probability breaking enough laws to serve the rest of their life behind bars. However the work they do is exemplary in terms of working with what is available, and in terms of safety and worker management. They listen to the workers and modify and adapt till the machines work properly and are safe. They have a zero accident record over the last 15 years. They have zero tolerance for stupidity and unsafe operation -- or drug use. They have 100% tolerance for workers who object to unsafe conditions -- except in one instance -- if a worker sees and unsafe condition that is within their power to correct -- and they do not do so -- they will probably be looking for a new job -- on the instant.

The person certainly could not pass the P. Eng. exam in English or their native language. Their work falls under the three principles of the APEO. They have public liability and safety issues and are responsible for worker safety. I would be pleased to do more work for this person due to their care and attention to detail -- legal or not.
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain