FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ducting, wye's, 90's & blast gates

Real Name
    I.B.Woodworker

Default Re: Ducting, wye's, 90's & blast gates

try http://www.nhsmedia.com/tesa.htm they are a reseller for Tesa Tape, the manufacturer of the product that Woodcraft is selling. As it's the Canada Day stat holiday today, giving them a call isn't much help as they are closed. I will try tomorrow.

Matt
    Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Real Name
    I.B.Woodworker

I have spent half a day trying to find a dealer for the Xtreem Self Amalgamating tape here in Canada to no luck. So choose plan B.

The cyclone has an 8" port coming off the unit, that mates to a metal split Y duct. I then have a metal 8" to 6" step down cone on each end of the Y. The 6" pvc pipe is slightly larger than the flange coming off the step down cone, and I need some good way to seal that connection.

From the Clearvue website, they talk about sealing the unit with silicon. But we all know that silicon is an awful product to have in the shop and I'd rather stay clear of it if I need to. Would any other indoor/outdoor mastic work to fill the small gap. I could then wrap it with aluminium duct tape.
    Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Real Name
    Alan Bienlein

I use the polyurethane caulk for widows and doors.

Quote Originally Posted by matt.mackinnon View Post
    I have spent half a day trying to find a dealer for the Xtreem Self Amalgamating tape here in Canada to no luck. So choose plan B.

The cyclone has an 8" port coming off the unit, that mates to a metal split Y duct. I then have a metal 8" to 6" step down cone on each end of the Y. The 6" pvc pipe is slightly larger than the flange coming off the step down cone, and I need some good way to seal that connection.

From the Clearvue website, they talk about sealing the unit with silicon. But we all know that silicon is an awful product to have in the shop and I'd rather stay clear of it if I need to. Would any other indoor/outdoor mastic work to fill the small gap. I could then wrap it with aluminium duct tape.
    I would use the silicone sealant. I believe the bad silicone is the variant found in some furniture polishes and lubricants. You want to be sure it is well cured before you turn the unit on. You might also consider rope packing, even a long leather boot lace would make a decent packing or build up the OD of the male end with duct tape or rubber repair tape. Lots of options.

Don

Another option is the closed cell urethane foam you get to go around doors and windows. Just pick it up at CTC and you might be looking at $5 or $10 and it's available in different thicknesses and widths depending on the how large the gap is you have to fill.

Real Name
    I.B.Woodworker

The main part of all my piping is now installed. And wouldn't you know it, even after I tried to calculate the total lenght of pipe needed and ordered an extra 10' just to be safe, I am short of pipe to get it done right.

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

I have 2 half wall drops that should be around 30" long, and 2 drops that need to get to the near the floor (around 70" long). I also miscounted the number of 90deg turns and am short one of those. Thank goodness the supplier is close by. I will have to see about ordering some additional parts on Monday so that it might get done before the BBQ in two weeks.

I am not sure where I am going to put half the junk that has seemed to accumulate in the shop. I need to seriously look at getting some shelving up onto the walls to get it out the way.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt.mackinnon View Post

Little late here but this is the same product as Xtreem tape, just in a narrower width and different colour: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/nash...-x-10ft/959973

Looks great Matt, can't wait to see it finished.

C
    Clint in London

Real Name
    I.B.Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by "C" View Post
    Looks great Matt, can't wait to see it finished.

C
    Your not the only one.. My wife has been asking me for weeks now when I will finally stop working on the garage and get some "REAL" work done.

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

I have ordered some additional 6" pipe from Wolsley and they should have it in on Thursday or Friday. It works out that I am about 2-3' short. And I have changed my mind several times on what is the best way to route the stuff and what bends I really need. I am slowly cutting the pipe bits and glueing the blast gates on with slicone. I figure it's the easiest to use and if I need to re-use them, then getting them apart is just a razor cut away.

I've cleared the back part of the garage out for the new Oneway 2436 that I should be getting in 6 or so weeks. I am working on putting up some shelves that are much needed. And I have to make a set of cupboards behind my jointer to store my not so often used tools.

I was thinking and I think that I will get one of those small Walmart fridges that are small and put it under my workbench at the back of the workshop. Need to keep my water and juice cold in this blistering heat.
    Matt

Real Name
    I.B.Woodworker

Nothing like a good screwup to make your day. Well, actually quite a few:

1. It turns out that my motor that I mounted up in the rafters was not totally level, or the walls are off. When mounting the filters, the front aligns up perfect, but the back is out by 3/8". As it's now screwed and glued together, i can't rotate the filters away from the wall to get the angle needed. So I had to make up a wedge insert to fill the gap.
    2. And when i finished putting in the floor, it ends up not giving me enough clearance between the 55gal drum with a lid and the underside of the cyclone. So either cut he drum, or see if I can find a white semi clear 45gal drum as they are 3" shorter.
    Matt