FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Micro Controller and Control Systems Training

Default Micro Controller and Control Systems Training

From Time to time I see CNC projects and also, I see posts requesting information on control systems for the shop. There are questions about motor control and people asking about home automation energy monitoring and wireless.

Note: These courses are free -- sponsored by DigiKey.

Design News ran courses this year and the replays are available -- as well as semester two is starting with wireless courses in July. Wireless control is one of the most common queries here.

http://www.designnews.com/lecture-calendar.asp

If you look carefully at the Continuing Education header you will see a small underlined 1 for Semester One -- or click the "1" just previous. (I added the link)

You will have to create an account to get the power point presentations and listen to the audio lectures. Clicking the "View Archived" associated with each course will bring up the course links. If you have an interest but have never worked with this stuff -- you really should start at the first course and follow their program.

To me this is the grade one to three stuff of Micro-Controller design so don't be scared if you know nothing about Micro Controllers. Electronics knowledge is very useful but not absolutely essential.

Surprisingly to me when I went through the courses I started picking up material that was new to me -- I have been at this for over four decades -- so there is material for people at all levels. For example, the Quantum Leap Framework by Miro Samek is quite interesting because I have designed similar stuff (event driven frameworks) for the same reasons...

These are EE's technologists and scientists -- so the lecture quality is not always stunningly good -- but the information is there... You too can build a seismic sensor (earthquakes) or a motor speed controller!
    Last edited by willr; 06-27-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: sp
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Default Re: Micro Controller and Control Systems Training

For people who do want to experiment with home automation there are some really inexpensive controller you can get. Including these:
    http://arduino.cc/en/Main/HomePage
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain