FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Delt Homecraft Shaper, an update, Motor Problem and a short video

Real Name
    Steve Morris

Default Delt Homecraft Shaper, an update, Motor Problem and a short video

the newly installed motor(older cratfsman 1hp, cap start) on my rockwell shaper seems to have a serious problem

it was working great in both directions for several hours then started tripping the breaker after a second or two of starting

disconnected the reverse switch setup and wired it directly, no change

i noticed significant arcing on the run contacts in the drum switch so i checked the run winding with a vom, zero ohms across the winding and zero ohms between the winding terminals and the motor housing, so a short somewhere

doesnt sound good for sure, any suggestions?
    Last edited by stevem; 07-10-2012 at 09:50 AM.
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: Motor Problem 1hp craftsman cap start

I don't know the sensitivity of your ohms range but the reading across the winding will be very low since it is the only the DC resistance of the coil's wire.

That is somewhat academic because the resistance reading to the motor housing should be very, very high, approaching infinity. Other than having a look inside and seeing if anything is amiss regarding insulation or "floating" pieces of garbage, I'd say a trip to the motor shop may be your next trip.

billh

Real Name
    Steve Morris

yeah i know!!, an internal short to ground is not good

i found a replacement motor, just have to rewire it for the drum switch, then ill pull the motor apart and check for the obvious, otherwise its probably not worth fixing. rewinding a forty year old craftsman(leland) 1hp?

its a shame, nice heavy old motor
    steve, sarnia, ont

Yep, I have to agree with bill. The next step in the motor troubleshooting guide requires a megger, and only those who know how to use one, have one... Trust me when I say most electricians don't know how to use one. It's a device that induces a very high voltage into the motor and checks the winding's insulation.

If you've ran through the basics, (and I know you know the basics) then you're going to need a motor shop to help you out. Good news is, a megger test can be done in under a minute, so if you turn on the charm I wouldn't be surprised if they did it pro bono.

Real Name
    Steve Morris

thanks for the info j, unfortunately my only local small motor guy is a total jerk, he's also the only dewalt, pc, delta repair guy for 100 km and knows it.. his answer to anything is buy a new one, i'll pull the end bell and check what i can first

on another note, we're coming your way july 20 or so to parry sound for a weekend, maybe we can get together
    steve, sarnia, ont

Sounds good... let me know when your plans firm up...

Will you have room for your pile'o'stuff....?

Real Name
    Steve Morris

yeah, we'll have room for my "pile o stuff"!!, anything you need or want brought? has to fit in a windstar van!!

anyway back to the motor, the issue seems to be resolved hopefully

pulled the terminal end bell off and BINGO!!!

it seems that when i pulled the startwinding leads out for connections to the revesing switch one of the leads came into contact with the centrifugal switch parts and wore off the insulation after a few hours of use.

embarassment and relief at the same time, some heat shrink insulation, a couple of wire ties and all should be good again. with everything loose and not nothing touching anything that it shouldnt, vom tests seem good. the red wire is the culprit, must be the centretap from the runwinding of this dual voltage motor going to the centrifugal switch

for those who have never seen a motor apart before, here it is. pretty simple, other than the cent. switch, just one moving part, the rotor. no brushes, no commutator.

while its apart, i'll check/replace the bearings, clean up the cent. switch contacts, blow the dust out etc etc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    steve, sarnia, ont

Real Name
    Steve Morris

since the motor issue is resolved, ive changed the title of the thread

the motor problem is resolved and the little shaper is working again so ive uploaded a short video

chip collection and adequete safety guards are in progress, this thing throws a ton of chips everywhere during operation, in the video im using a byrdhead as a template cutter, works very well. the blank workpiece has been bandsawn within an 1/8 and also has one reference surface that requires no cutting and that is my starting point

dust/chip collection is reasonably good considering my 1hp dc, shaping to the pattern and cuts are perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM8Jm...ature=youtu.be

yes some details need to be worked on, better guard system, electrical covers etc etc

contrary to what appears on the video, that cutter is spinning at around 10000 rpm and cuts very smoothly
    Last edited by stevem; 07-10-2012 at 10:05 AM.
    steve, sarnia, ont

Real Name
    Mark Rose

Steve, I looked at your video, it looks like your shaper is running great!
    You should be building two jigs, one for each side and transfer the piece from one to the other. Then it gives you the ability to mount handles like upright dowels sticking up to keep you hands away. A little too scarry keeping your hands at cutter level feeding into the cutter head.
    Cheers, Mark
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Real Name
    Steve Morris

thx mark, it is running great. the 1hp was a major upgrade

and yes better templates are required, with handles, working on it!! these parts are a production item in my shop so really good safe templates are a must. the parts are for footstools for the leevalley adirondak chairs
    steve, sarnia, ont