FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Elevated Play House

Default Elevated Play House

Hi all,

I made this 5x6 playhouse for the kids. In retrospect I want to add a little balcony either flush to the door or with steps up to the door from a lower deck. Any suggestions on how I should do this. The large picture is the structure now... the second is probably how i should have built it.

Cheers,
    Jeffwalton.jpg0706121619-00.jpg
    Last edited by Jeffmacd; 07-10-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    What was urgent was done yesterday, right now I'm working on the impossible...if you want a miracle give me 24 hours.

Default Re: Elevated Play House

Pretty easy really. bolt a 2 by 6,8,10 to both sides of the front and back posts and let them extend out front as far as you need for the balcony. You could beef them up by sandwiching and bolting a 4 x4 [if that's what you used for the posts] between the extensions but not totally necessary. Put a diagonal brace under the extensions from the post to the 2 by material. Use joist hangars between the extensions or sit the joists on top of the extensions.
    "Do it Right!"

Thanks kinda what i was thinking too...so i should use 2 2bys per post....so the 4x4 is sandwiched?

thanks
    What was urgent was done yesterday, right now I'm working on the impossible...if you want a miracle give me 24 hours.

That's what I would do. If you plan it right and precut a notch in the 4x4 it will be easy to install a diagonal brace.
    "Do it Right!"

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Run your 4x4"s through the deck so you have something solid to tie your railing to.

Bill I'm talking about the 4x4's being horizontal between the 2 by material not vertical like posts. Unless I'm wrong jeff doesn't want more posts to the ground. If............... that's what you mean. ??
    "Do it Right!"

Rusty you are bang on... no more posts to the groung if possible. Could i still run 4x4 vertical at the end of the 2x6 sandwich for a railing and brace bottom of the 4x4 sandwich back on a diagonal to the existing 4x4's.....best of both worlds?

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Makes sense cantilevered deck I should have figured that out Rusty looks like Jeff's on the right track now for the job.

My only comment on a cantilevered deck is that it appears the posts supporting the house are set in steel spikes that use bolts to maintain a grip on the post. Should the posts shrink as they dry out I would be concerned that the post would lift from the spike with too much weight on the cantilevered deck. If your house is not resting on the spikes ignor my comments. My comments are biased as I personally feel those spikes are good for lawn signs and that is about it.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Wow, I'm really impressed. I looked into building a play house for my daughter but I didn't think I could pull it off. My brother in-law and I built his cabana almost 10 years ago but it didn't stand the test of time. He bought a new cabana from this cupola supplier in Quebec, where I'm from, and I was thinking of getting my daughter's playhouse from there are well (it's the last one of the list). It's funny, it also has a small "deck" or balcony. Maybe check out the design to see if that's not another alternative for your playhouse.