FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockwell Beaver 3400 Jackshaft setup

Default Rockwell Beaver 3400 Jackshaft setup

Hi there:

I have been perusing the forum for Jackshaft setups on my new ( to me ) 3400.
    I was wondering if anyone has setup a Jackshaft with 2 cone pulleys on either end and another on the motor? This appears to be an easier way to setup a drive with multiple ranges ( maybe too many ). I happen to have a couple of extra cone pulleys and thought this might work better than having to exchange out the drive pulley for a high and low speed. If anyone knows of a better setup for the motor side I would welcome any comments. I am looking to turn bowls and therefore would like the slower speeds more than faster. I have included a diagram to show what I am thinking.
    JackShaftSetup.jpg

Default Re: Rockwell Beaver 3400 Jackshaft setup

I have some additional information on spindle speeds this should produce. Any comments or thoughts are welcome

SpindleSpeedsJackshaftSetup.jpg

I have tried the setup you show. Don't do it, as the speed ranges are not good.

On the lathe shaft and the output of the jack shaft, use two separate pulleys instead of the four step pulleys. Just make sure the sum of the diameters of the pair that will be in use at any time are the same.
    It ain't the things you don't know that get you in trouble. It's the things you know for sure that just ain't so.

I like that idea. Never thought of using multiple pulleys. What sizes did you end up using might I ask?

Yup. I like this better and it works with my design.
    Thanks for the advice, as I now see this a bit clearer.
    SpindleSpeedsJackshaftSetupRev2.jpg

Real Name
    Steve Morris

my 3400 jackshaft setup uses the beaver 4 speed on the lathe and the matching 4 speed on the jackshaft

the jackshaft is driven by a 2 speed pulley set from the motor, 1 to 1 and 2 to 1 ratios

remember that the beaver spindle is 7/8(or 3/4, cant remember) diameter and the lathe pulley would be tough to fit onto a motor or jackshaft

i wont tell you that my system works the best, but it DOES work and very well and has been for a couple of years with lots of turning and large forstner bit drilling

i started out with cheapie pillow blocks and shaft from TSC(sleeve bearings) had some minor problems and eventually the bearings just wore out. i now have a pair of old rockwell lineshaft hanger bearings that are self aligning and are sleeve bearing, so far are working very well. im still using the beaver 4 speed between the jackshaft and lathe and a two speed between the motor and jackshaft

there's a thread on here somewhere with the details on my setup
    Last edited by stevem; 07-13-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

Thanks for all the info. I read your other posts and have gleaned a lot from them.
    I hope to have a running lathe sometime in the next week or so. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Paul

Real Name
    Steve Morris

one key thing to remember is that the beaver 4 speed pulleys are the same diameters, so the required belt length is the same regardless of the position. the 2 pairs of pulleys between the motor and jackshaft also use the same belt length in both speeds.

to accomplish this, the diameters of the two pulleys for each speed add up to the same number. direct or 1 to 1 uses a pair of three inch pulleys and the reduction or 2 to 1 would use a 2 inch and a 4 inch pulley

as im sure you've already read elsewhere, i run my belts just loose enough to change speeds with minor effort but tight enough not to slip.
    steve, sarnia, ont

Well, I'm done! Still need to wire the switch but my 3400 is like factory new. New bearings, jack shaft complete, 1/2 hp.....all ready for wood!
    Thanks so much for the guidance gents.

Before: Picked up on kijiji for $75
    image-3618442189.jpg

After:
    image-3606372679.jpg

image-1089657474.jpg

Real Name
    Steve Morris

looks great!! nice to have the LH thread faceplate, the're hard to find

next is an inboard faceplate, chuck etc etc the list becomes endless
    steve, sarnia, ont

I don't suppose you know where the best place might be to find a faceplate? I did not see anything at LeeValley, and in Waterloo our woodworking store options are limited.

As well, I have read that the LV economy turning tools are a decent starter set. I welcome any advice that you might have for a good beginner set. I eventually want to get to bowl turning, but I think I will start with some simple spindle stuff to start.

Any thoughts are greatly welcomed.
    Cheers,

Here is one that will fit that lathe.

http://www.busybeetools.com/products...-X-14-TPI.html
    It ain't the things you don't know that get you in trouble. It's the things you know for sure that just ain't so.

Real Name
    Allan Kuntz

bite the bullet and call oneway for a face plate. I have bought from busy bee and there is no comparison
    al

Real Name
    Steve Morris

i have both inboard and outboard beaver faceplates, but i wouldnt look for a junk lathe just for the faceplates. the old beaver rockwell ones are castiron and ive broken a couple

as al suggests, get a one way, a six inch plate is a good start. you'll need a 7/8-14 thread, a common size. a oneway chuck would also be a once in a lifetime investment.

oneway manufacturing is in stratford, just a half hour away but i dont know if they do retail from the plant. john from woodchuckers is also a great source for oneway stuff
    steve, sarnia, ont

Quote Originally Posted by paulrhorne View Post
    I don't suppose you know where the best place might be to find a faceplate? I did not see anything at LeeValley, and in Waterloo our woodworking store options are limited.

As well, I have read that the LV economy turning tools are a decent starter set. I welcome any advice that you might have for a good beginner set. I eventually want to get to bowl turning, but I think I will start with some simple spindle stuff to start.

Any thoughts are greatly welcomed.
    Cheers,
    The Canadian Tire Tool set of six tools at about $95 is also a good starter set. Roughing Gouge is a ltlle V shaped but works well. I use 2 or 3 of the tools as go to tools and I have several individual tools that cost more individually than the set. Oneway do sell direct form the factory and give excellent service, but you pay list price. Talk to John at Woodchuckers. You can do a lot with a 3" faceplate and jamb chucks but a four jaw chuck (the Oneway Talon will last a lifetime), can be adapted to any lathe you buy down the road (assume you will be upgrading in less than 2 years) and opens the door to a lot faster setups and diversity of turning. I speak from experience. Adding a stronghold chuck to a 40 year old delta Rockwell Homecraft in 1999, has led me to a Oneway 2436, two Delta midis and still have the old 50's Homecraft.

Nice job, i also just did a similar setup. I see you used plywood for the surface on the stand, you might find that it vibrates loudly. I switched to thick mdf and it's silent, good vibration absorber too.
    Why do people keep calling me Rob?

We shall see. Sitting there running it is dead silent and vibration free. Need to acquire tools to test it.

Real Name
    Steve Morris

i have a whole bunch of turning tools, many of them came with a couple of 3400's bought for parts

i started with an old set of craftsman inherited from my fil, then bought the LV economy set which i really like

the canadian tire set isnt bad, i think they are english HSS.

just remember the first set is not a lifetime commitment, get a cheap set, start turning and learning to sharpen!!
    steve, sarnia, ont

I'm looking for a nice cheap starter set, but I like the LV Economy set. Most likely it will sit for a few weeks while we are on holidays etc. Get back into it in late August. Woodworking is my winter hobby...Carving is my summer hobby by the lake

Thumbs up Re: Rockwell Beaver 3400 Jackshaft setup

Well. I finally have lathe tools and started turning...and now my addiction is set
    I picked up a set of Benjamin's Best tools and have to say I am impressed for the cost. I also happened upon a WorkSharp 2000. I always wanted one for my carving tools but found that it could also sharpen lathe tools, and boy does it do a really nice job. I added a new to me 1/2 hp motor to my lathe and it just happened to have a reverse switch attached....so I now have reverse for sanding.

Now for a chuck....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Bartley; 10-10-2012 at 06:37 AM. Reason: removed upside down photo