FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: The cost of doing DC right

Real Name
    I.B.Woodworker

Default The cost of doing DC right

It comes up every so often here on the forum, someone asking for advice on putting in a DC system and then there is a number for budget. Having just put in one of the higher end of cyclone dust collectors, looking back at the costs, I am very shocked at how much was actually spent.

I purchased a Clearvue CV MAX on one of the fathers day promotions in June 2011 for $1573, but after shipping and some additional parts like upgraded nano filters, and a cleanout box, the total came to $1960.00 CAD.

But when I got around to installing it, the other costs that one would generally forget about started to come into play.

Electrical: Run a new 30amp line from my pannel to where the Cyclone is installed. 5hp Magnetic starter, electrical inspection. I saved a bundle by doing the work myself. $320

Ducting: 6 machines to connect so you need blast gates for all of them $110. 50' of 6" ducting pipe $163. Wye's (6), 45s (3) & 90s (6) $379. reducers/spliters and flex hose to connect the machines $181.

Lucky for me I had a 55gal drum that I could use for collection.

But when you start to add it up, there is easily an additional $1000+ spend on just hooking up the unit, and mine is a pretty small shop with nothing really complex.

Had someone asked me 3 years ago if I would spend over $3000 to get dust collection in my shop, I would have told them they were mad. I am curious what others have spent to get it done in their shop?
    Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Default Re: The cost of doing DC right

When I installed my 3hp grizzly, with all of the extras of getting it up and running with all machines hooked up I probably spent close to $2500 or perhaps a bit more as well.The Cyclone at the time was $1150 us plus 8.3% state tax + gst & pst at the border = $1,394.90 for the DC then as you said you need all of the ducting and either buying or making your own blast gates etc. etc.

John

Real Name
    A.B. Normal

I probably spent about $2,300 on mine.

I didn't have to pay for electrical work or supplies, just the cyclone and ducting, plus electrical inspection............Rod.

Pentz cyclone on kijiji $500
    New filters ant filter box $300
    6" PVC ducting $1000
    Electrical $??? not finished

Clean lungs Priceless.... no wait, I think I just established they cost about two grand.

C

I made my Pentz cyclone with donated stainless steel, a bought motor, impeller and filter. The ductwork I got through my supplier at contractor pricing. The blast gates I made myself and the remote control system I bought. I've probably got about $1500 into it and it's a fantastic performer, actually, it's the largest motor in the shop at 5 hp. I've emptied dozens and dozens of trash cans of dust, it worth it at almost any price. It's the one thing that instantly improves your enjoyment of ww more than anything else.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaP View Post
    I made my Pentz cyclone with donated stainless steel, a bought motor, impeller and filter. The ductwork I got through my supplier at contractor pricing. The blast gates I made myself and the remote control system I bought. I've probably got about $1500 into it and it's a fantastic performer, actually, it's the largest motor in the shop at 5 hp. I've emptied dozens and dozens of trash cans of dust, it worth it at almost any price. It's the one thing that instantly improves your enjoyment of ww more than anything else.
    I should add to this ....

Reguardless of the price it has been without a doubt the best investment I have made in my shop. Would I do it again if I moved .... YOU BET !
    I've been there with the 1.5hp bag collector ... if you have the means don't waste your money, do it right the first time.

John

Buying used, selling the old DC, got $800 into this one . Still got several sizes of blast gates, 5" hoses and short lengths of pipe left over.

IMG_4420-1.jpg

hobby woodworking since 1972

Blog Entries

I took a chance and went with 4 inch PVC, blast gated everything with the LV self cleaning blastgates, and bought a 2HP King and added the cannister filter. Probably close to 2K if not a bit more. Been very happy.
    Kevin

Real Name
    Mike Delyster

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
    I took a chance and went with 4 inch PVC, blast gated everything with the LV self cleaning blastgates, and bought a 2HP King and added the cannister filter. Probably close to 2K if not a bit more. Been very happy.
    My set up sounds much the same as Kevin's, other than I have the 2HP General International with cannister (probably the same machine). I never kept track of all the fittings and pipe, but I think that just over the 2K mark sounds about right for everything. I've had mine setup for a few years now and I'm very satisfied with it and if I was setting up another shop it would be one of the first things setup rather then the last.
    Mike @ Buck Lake

Real Name
    Alan Bienlein

I spent about $1200 on my system. Didn't have any hidden or unexpected costs.7-4-11 013.jpg7-4-11 012.jpg7-4-11 011.jpg

in the process right now of planning out the installation of a 3hp general int. cyclone i just bought, figure ill be about 2500-3000 all said and done (and thats with getting a bargain price on the actual DC unit)

cant put a price on your own health though, rather spend 3g's on something that will make my lungs alot safer than continuing to us a 1 stage 1hp unit moving from machine to machine

When I set up my shop, I considered the dust collection options. Meanwhile a friend said he knew of a 5hp Murphy DC for sale because of health. I checked it out - way too big (check it out on the net). But I thought about it and decided to pay the $3000 including magnetic switch and some ducting. I then contacted Murphy who speced my ducting requirements. I purchased the ducting and installed it. The DC was installed on a slab out side the shop. I hauled it by trailer to site and hired a tow truck with an extension boom to lift it onto the slab. I did the wiring and then I turned it on. Never was there a sweeter moment in my woodworking career -quiet, and can run 3 gates at once. No regrets..one of my better decisions. So my advise? Don't hold back...do it right. Forget mickeymouse.