FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Vintage Beaver Bandsaw 3300

Default Vintage Beaver Bandsaw 3300

My 14" Beaver Bandsaw (Callander Foundry, Guelph, 1940's) needs new tires. The old ones have a slight crown (23mm wide x 4.5mm edge to 5.5mm ctr). What do I replace them with... what manufacturer?

The saw works well, but is missing the rip fence, 3 rip fence support rods, mitre fence, and trammel bars. Does anyone know where I could find these?

There is no serial no. or model no. on the trademark name plate, but interestingly I found BS3300 stamped on the inside upper & lower covers, and 0088SJ on the inside center cover. Is this the serial no.? Would it indicate that my saw is number 88? Thanks for your help, Woodlace Sheila.

Real Name
    Mike Delyster

Default Re: Vintage Beaver Bandsaw 3300

Hello Sheila and welcome to the forum.

You can get tires from Lee Valley,
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,41036,56060
    The tires are supposed to have a crown in them though, but if they are cracked up they should be changed. As for the fence some of the other Beaver guys here might have some parts for you or it may be easier to buy an aftermarket fence.
    Mike @ Buck Lake

Real Name
    Steve Morris

i also have the 3300, and a scrap one for parts(no fence or rails though)

the urethane tyres will not work, they are too thin and the blade will not run correctly in the guides

i used standard rubber tyres, i got them from federated tools in london, i think they were for a delta 14 inch

the bandsaw fence was an option and not easy to find. i have another 3300 with the beaver fence thats had a rebuild for another member on here, its a shorter version of the 3200 tablesaw fence. my 3300 has had tableextensions added so that a 3200 saw fence fits nicely

many of the old callander foundry beavers didnt have serial numbers, what the 88 means i have no idea.

if you look futher down the page you'll see a section "similar threads", there's more information for you there, chris and i both ran threads covering the rebuilds of our 3300s

i m moving your thread to the powertools forum
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

Sheila

Two types of tires are on the market. Rubber or (vulcanized this is only done in a factory) and Urethane. Urethane needs the wheels on the saw to be crowned(a small arc on the rim build in so the blade track correctly when the tire in instaled. they are not good for any other type band saw wheel.the ones LV sale are for a delta(pre crowned wheels). Rubber is the best IMO and on both the 16" Bursgreen and 30" wadkin band saw I rebuilt they where easy to install and crown.
    I use a disk sander to crown mine and crowning is part of the tire installation .

here is a video on a tire install.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbwJD5dh2kY

this is my set up to crown but there are many.

Carter Band Saw Tires are made from the highest quality material to exacting standards. Thatís why they deliver such outstanding performance and wear consistently for so long. Tires are available in a variety of sizes to fit most popular bandsaws. All tires come with complete, detailed instructions to facilitate proper installation. and best of all they drop ship. Carter has a whole range of band saw
    after market products like fences and guides too.

http://www.carterproducts.com/produc....asp?cat_id=15

jack
    English machines

Thank you, Mike. We have a Lee Valley store not far from us... they have great products. They carry Carter accessories, but Carter's rubber tires appear to be a different width and thickness than those on my saw, so I'll continue to look.

Real Name
    Mike Delyster

Hello Sheila

Did you notice in the third post Steve mentioned that Federated Tools in London sells the tires you are looking for. Steve rebuilt a Beaver 3300 band saw and is very knowledgeable when it comes to the Canadian made Beaver line of equipment.
    Mike @ Buck Lake

Thank you Steve, Mike, and Jack. I was able to order one 14"x1"x1/8" rubber tire (no crown) from Federated Tools - the last in stock. Apparently their supplier in Taiwan is no longer. Hopefully, the old upper tire will hang in there until I can find a replacement or Federated Tools finds a new supplier.
    The old tire was 14"x7/8"x3/16" and slightly crowned. I'm hoping a crown can be ground without compromising the new tire. (Carter's rubber tire is too wide, 1 5/16"x5/32".) Any ideas? Sheila.

Shelia - You could always trim the wider tire to the correct width after it is glued in place and then crown it. You also might want to try this supplier
    http://woodworkerstoolworks.com/band...s/show/16.html. If you do order from them request shippings by the US postal Service. There normal shipper is UPS and the brokerage fee they charge is outragious (DAMKIT).

Blog Entries

that is quite the set up Jack.

Jerome
    Elmvale On.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    Benjamin Franklin

Real Name
    Steve Morris

id go with the carter tyre if fed. tools cant get them

as gerry says, just trim it off with a very sharp knife
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont