FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics of my shop... if anyone wants to have a look

Default Re: Oics of my shop... if anyone wants to have a look

Wow!! I dream of having a big shop like this! Thanks for sharing!

hobby woodworking since 1972

Blog Entries

Wow! Thanks for the tour! Wow!

Do you have any employees or is it a one man shop?

AK

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Andrew J. Coholic

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_K99 View Post
    Wow! Thanks for the tour! Wow!

Do you have any employees or is it a one man shop?

AK
    Currently I am working with one younger student (possible apprentice) who is really promising and a natural at wood working. Unfortunately for me, he is heading back for his 3rd year of university. I am trying to talk him into going to college for woodworking instead! That's what I did, I did three years of science at UofT, and then quit, and went to do three years at Conestoga College.

In my old shop where I used to live/work, there were three of us. I could easily have one or two full timers with my work load, but it is near impossible in my neck of the woods to find anyone with woodworking experience. Being a custom shop, I need someone with good all around skills. My only hope is to find someone really keen, and train them.

AJC
    Andrew J. Coholic

Joe Coholic Custom Furniture Ltd.
    Timmins, ON

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Andrew J. Coholic

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan in Edmonton View Post
    Andrew, you have a fantastic set up, congrats. And thanks for taking the time to post pics and the write up about the shop and what you do.
    I haven't really mentioned it on the forum yet but I am currently waiting for permits from the city to build my own dedicated shop in my back yard. It will be nothing compared to yours at only about 525 sq ft, but it will beat the heck out of the half of the double attached garage where I am squeezed into now. It's good to see your layout to get some ideas too. My equipment is vastly smaller and fewer than what you have, but maybe one day I will get there.
    Thanks again for posting Andrew.
    Ryan

Ryan,
    I can suggest this - plan your tool/machine layout on paper first, to scale. Then, once you have the shop floor down, use a chalk line and lay out the same thing full scale. I moved things around a few times in order to get proper clearances around my machinery and so forth.

500+ sq feet is enough to have a good time, indeed! As much work as setting up a shop is, when you get done and actually get to use it, it is so gratifying. Good luck and have fun with the build!

AJC
    Andrew J. Coholic

Timmins, ON

Ok, I admit it. I have a raging case of shop envy right now.

Thanks for sharing. I too have the "shop must be clean and organized" bugaboo. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Working in a clean, organized environment is so much more relaxing and productive.
    "my hero's are all cartoon characters. What does that say for society, or for me for that matter"

Damn you!!!! You are living MY dream. That is just not fair.

Thank you for the tour of your amazing shop.
    the other Ken
    ------
    I actually have enough clamps

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    Currently I am working with one younger student (possible apprentice) who is really promising and a natural at wood working.
    I could easily have one or two full timers with my work load, but it is near impossible in my neck of the woods to find anyone with woodworking experience.
    I was kind of wondering just how the market was for custom WW up there in Timmins, but your comments here answered my question. Was your previous business also in Timmins?

I only visited Timmins once, just passing through on a summer trip when I was a kid in the mid 70s. The only thing I remember is that all the stoplights on the main drag were synchronized --- they ALL turned green at the same time, which was the weirdest thing I'd ever seen. You could never get more than three lights before being forced to stop!
    It's not about you.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Andrew J. Coholic

Default Re: Pics of my shop... if anyone wants to have a look

Well I am pretty new to the Timmins area. Been living there for about 6 years. My old shop was in Kirkland Lake, a town of 8,000. Timmins is close to 50,000 population. With few people doing true custom woodwork there is lots of work to be done.

AJC
    Andrew J. Coholic

Timmins, ON

Real Name
    Dave

Great shop and setup Andrew! Thanks for the tour.

Is that an OMGA radial arm saw? I've seen some of them around used time to time.... they have a pretty good reputation. I noticed that u have the arm re-inforced with cable running on an angle back to the walls. I assume this gives some rigidity and lets you have the saw tuned up for perfect 28" cross cuts? It look like never move the arm or the setup on the saw?

Dave

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Andrew J. Coholic

Dave
    That is an Omga saw from Akhurst as well. Made in Italy, very good saw. I have it set up to crosscut perfectly square. The supports are actually 1/4-20 threaded rod with turnbuckles, anchored into the wall studs. Stops any little flex when you're out at the end of the stroke.

Ajc
    Andrew J. Coholic

Timmins, ON

Thanks for sharing. Awesome set up and one that obviously you put a lot of effort and planning into. And clean as well.

My place is not near as big as yours. I have a 20x24 size shop with a single garage door opening and a walk in dooor. I don't own a vehicle so for me there is plenty of room.

I am a clean freak myself and like to walk into my place the day after using it and not have to face a huge pile of shavings, dust etc. And like the sign says that my kids gave me, because I am also an organized nut, everything has a place and goes there when not in use.

Ryan, I know you are gonna love you new space. You have seen my place and its not huge but is a huge step up from where I started. That was an unheated 8x12 barn style shed.
    MAxwell

WOW - Just came across this thread. What a shop - The tools.... OMG.... A man cave that we all dream about - Thank You so much for sharing. Everything caught my eye but my question is about your spray boot. Is this a separate room that is isolated from your shop? Or it is part of your normal area where you spray in that 12 foot area where the suctions fans are at, once sprayed you move the product over on the rack to dry and then keep spraying?

It seems like a great idea. I was picturing a closed area when I could afford one, but this area is open and the fans suck the fumes out and voila –still have your space that is not closed off by walls.

Do I have the idea right? Any information that you can provide would be great. Thank You again for sharing. Jamie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Andrew J. Coholic

Quote Originally Posted by jamieh View Post
    WOW - Just came across this thread. What a shop - The tools.... OMG.... A man cave that we all dream about - Thank You so much for sharing. Everything caught my eye but my question is about your spray boot. Is this a separate room that is isolated from your shop? Or it is part of your normal area where you spray in that 12 foot area where the suctions fans are at, once sprayed you move the product over on the rack to dry and then keep spraying?

It seems like a great idea. I was picturing a closed area when I could afford one, but this area is open and the fans suck the fumes out and voila –still have your space that is not closed off by walls.

Do I have the idea right? Any information that you can provide would be great. Thank You again for sharing. Jamie

Jamie,
    My finishing room is a separate room. If you look in the shop photos, you can see against the far wall, two large doors that have several filters in them. The finishing room is the back 20 or so feet of my shop which is separated by a wall, with the two 4' x 8' doors, with filters. WHen I run the spray booth, air is let into the main area of the shop, and passes through the filters and then up the exhaust. So in the winter, I draw the warm air from the main shop into the spray area before it is exhausted. I have a few vents which always allow return air into the building to maintain proper air flow.

With the whole finishing room being effectively isolated from the shop (and the shop dust) the finishing room stays clean, and the finish doesnt get contaminated with dust. I can work in the shop, while finishing is going on, and you dont have to stop working when you spray. Also, as the finish is drying, you dont get fumes in the shop area either.

All spraying is done in the booth, and my air supply is connected to a solenoid which only turns on when the booth fan is running - so you cannot spray without the booth operating.

AJC
    Andrew J. Coholic

Timmins, ON

Real Name
    Erik

Andrew,

You have a very well set up and organized shop that certainly must impress any clients that stop by and make it possible to be profitable in a one-man shop. While you are a 3rd generation woodworker, your power equipment is all very new and you don't have much in the way of old iron to maintain.

I have driven through Timmins quite a few times over the years, and in the 90's we used to support an Army winter exercise near Timmins in Jan-Feb for a few weeks when it was often near -40. You must have a good heater for a shop that size as it used to cost us $100 just to open the hangar doors to tow out the helos.

If I were to do woodworking professionally your shop is exactly what I would see as the gold standard, but I think I will remain a serious hobbiest for the forseeable future. I hear what you are saying about people not wanting to get into the woodworking business, as trades have seemingly gone out of vogue for many in the quest for higher education. Unfortunately, a university degree isn't a guarantee of a job these days as it once was and as a craftsman you have a measurable output in terms of the work you have done. A family member has been a plumber/electrician in ON for 40 yrs and he bemoans the meddling that the Prov Govt has done in the trades training that makes it difficult to have more than one apprentice, and the lack of depth and experience in the kids coming out of the 2 yr college programs. Hopefully you will be successful in finding a willing candidate to assist you that becomes an asset to your business.

I am guessing that there are not too many other custom shops like yours in Timmins. Thanks for posting the pics, truly impressive capacity.
    Erik

Working in New Brunswick but weekends on Prince Edward Island

That is one phenomenal, well organized and clean shop, Congratulations.

Tim

Man what a beautiful shop. I hate you, lol. Nah, I don't hate you, but you suck! Beautiful shop.
    Last edited by callee; 10-15-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: to remove family un-friendly language
    Name is Kamil

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Andrew J. Coholic

Quote Originally Posted by ErikM View Post
    Andrew,

You have a very well set up and organized shop that certainly must impress any clients that stop by and make it possible to be profitable in a one-man shop. While you are a 3rd generation woodworker, your power equipment is all very new and you don't have much in the way of old iron to maintain.

I have driven through Timmins quite a few times over the years, and in the 90's we used to support an Army winter exercise near Timmins in Jan-Feb for a few weeks when it was often near -40. You must have a good heater for a shop that size as it used to cost us $100 just to open the hangar doors to tow out the helos.

If I were to do woodworking professionally your shop is exactly what I would see as the gold standard, but I think I will remain a serious hobbiest for the forseeable future. I hear what you are saying about people not wanting to get into the woodworking business, as trades have seemingly gone out of vogue for many in the quest for higher education. Unfortunately, a university degree isn't a guarantee of a job these days as it once was and as a craftsman you have a measurable output in terms of the work you have done. A family member has been a plumber/electrician in ON for 40 yrs and he bemoans the meddling that the Prov Govt has done in the trades training that makes it difficult to have more than one apprentice, and the lack of depth and experience in the kids coming out of the 2 yr college programs. Hopefully you will be successful in finding a willing candidate to assist you that becomes an asset to your business.

I am guessing that there are not too many other custom shops like yours in Timmins. Thanks for posting the pics, truly impressive capacity.

Eric,
    Thanks for the comments. No, there isnt too many smaller shops equipped as well as mine, that I am aware of (however, I also do a lot more than the average shop I know, ie, I dont buy anything in, I make my own doors, drawers, moldings, etc and do a wide variety of work, instead of focusing on one thing. Not too much woodworking action in this part of Ontario to begin with... but there are shops scattered around here and there.

If you're ever through Timmins again stop buy for a visit, and a coffee. I'm generally here unless I'm out on a delivery or install, and the Keurig machine is always on
    Andrew J. Coholic

Timmins, ON

Real Name
    Erik

Thanks Andrew, I will remember the coffee offer, though it might be some time before I head your way again. The last time was in Sep 2011 when I drove from Edmonton back to Ottawa after 6 months overseas.
    Erik

Working in New Brunswick but weekends on Prince Edward Island

Real Name
    That is my real name

What a beautiful, well thought out shop, thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries

Nice shop.

I've been driving thru Timmins once a year or so for the past decade to see my MIL in T.Bay, but unfortunately she died this past spring, and now that the house is sold, there is no reason to head to TB, otherwise I would drop by to visit and have a cup of Java. Too bad.

Reading thru this thread, it was nice to hear that I'm not the only one who tiddies after himself as he moves along, and the way you said you planned your layout is exactly what I did years ago. Some folks think having sawdust everywhere is some kind of badge, while myself I think keeping a shop clean is just as symbolic, but in a different way.

Hats off to your wonderful work in putting it together....
    Kevin