FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Garage (workshop) roof insulation using rigid foam

Real Name
    George

Default Garage (workshop) roof insulation using rigid foam

I've been thinking what would be the best and easiest (and cheapest) way to insulate my garage roof. I thought about foam but it is too expensive. I thought about installing a ceiling with loose insulation on top but I have too much junk in the way. So I thought what if I put a 1/2 by 1/2 piece of wood in the corners of the joist and roof deck and butt 3 inch rigid foam against it. This leaves the foam insulation flush with the joists and still leaves 1/2 inch under the roof deck for ventilation. It would also act as a vapour barrier if I coulk the edges. This would cost less then 1k. Wat do you guys think, would this be adequate for heating in the winter? Is there anything I am not considering?

Thanks,
    - George

Default Re: Garage (workshop) roof insulation using rigid foam

make the 1x1's out of styrofoam also...
    That's how it was done in the vaulted section of our addition. (though we then sprayed foam over top of it all. we used 1/2" or 1" rigid, I forget which.)

Oh, and "caulk" the edges with spray foam in a can, to really seal it.
    One thing to remember with your approach is that you will get thermal bridging on the rafters, since there will be no insulation there. I have no idea if that will make a big difference in a garage or not.
    It's not about you.

Real Name
    Scott

Bump

I'm considering the same idea in my one car garage. It's all bare studs at the moment. I'm planning to run wiring throughout the insulate and put drywall. I'd like to keep the roof height for storage.

Any other thoughts on rigid insulation between the roof studs?

Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ruthart View Post
    I've been thinking what would be the best and easiest (and cheapest) way to insulate my garage roof. I thought about foam but it is too expensive. I thought about installing a ceiling with loose insulation on top but I have too much junk in the way. So I thought what if I put a 1/2 by 1/2 piece of wood in the corners of the joist and roof deck and butt 3 inch rigid foam against it. This leaves the foam insulation flush with the joists and still leaves 1/2 inch under the roof deck for ventilation. It would also act as a vapour barrier if I coulk the edges. This would cost less then 1k. Wat do you guys think, would this be adequate for heating in the winter? Is there anything I am not considering?

Thanks,
    - George
    Check the building code being applied in your city. I believe that if your garage is attached to your home you will be required to cover with drywall or plywood to increase resistance to fire.
    Mike

Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong. Winston Churchill.