FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Hideous

Default Hideous

This Haida-style mask is something I was working on up at the cottage in July. Started with a piece of cedar from a tree the Hydro crew culled last Fall. I have a book on carving masks and totem poles, so I took a pattern from that.

The pattern was a photo of a mask. A photo of a curved surface, right? Which I proceeded to wrap around a curved surface and trace. So it got a bit distorted. Oops. The wood was VERY soft, so much so that it would crush and crumple unless the tool was fantastically sharp. Which most of mine are not. Actually, I have only TWO tools that would cut this stuff reasonably well, a #3 Henry Taylor gouge and a chip carving knife. Nasty wood. I decided to let Kathy carve the other half of the log.

The finish is acrylic paint, with a top coat of blonde shellac. Should have used amber or orange to give the wood some colour. I can still add another coat of darker shellac later, so that's no worry.

100_4664.jpg100_4680.jpg
    Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Default Re: Hideous

Cedar is a bear to crave except with a trailing slicing motion using super sharp tools. But your mask turned out very nice!!

Ken

It's hideously nicely done. Does the carving book also give colour detail, or did you come up with your own scheme?

Lyndsay

Great job with just 2 tools !