FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Genuine traditional wooden signs

Real Name
    Roger Jenkins

Default Genuine traditional wooden signs

Here's some of my Wooden Signs I have done for Aussie clients. All are hand designed, and although I use a router fitted with a 1/4" straight cutter. The router is Hand-guided, as I have my own alphabet font templates, which do not fit any commercial template guides, while for artistic designwork, simply hand draw the shape/s onto the timber, then engrave the shape into the timber with a Dremel type power-carver, fitted with an engraving tip, and attached to a Mini-router base. Cutting depth is preset at 1/8" for softwoods, and 1/16" for Aussie hardwoods. Although not for everyone, I do enjoy the freedom of creating Wooden Signs without using a commercial template guide. Although most of my clients are private home owners, who seek an interesting name for their house, beach house, etc., I have also designed several Sandwich board type shop signs, ( sidewalk, or footpath signs ), These are bigger, measuring 900mm, H x 600mm.W, ( 3ft x 2ft ), and have been done on recycled timber.
    *** Please note,- " Rat Haven, & Port Vincent Hardware, " Signs are actually cut on my Hegner Scroll Saw, then the lettering / rodent shape attached to a separate backing board.
    Later this year, or maybe early next year I plan to have some interesting, " How-to-do-it," downloadable videos available through the Parent Site of this forum. ( Canadian Woodworking & Home Improvement ),

Now to add some photos;-

'ave a good day, & happy woodworking,
    Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Toydesigner; 08-03-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Minor mistake,- description NOT quite accurate

Real Name
    Barry

Default Re: Genuine traditional wooden signs

Quote Originally Posted by Toydesigner View Post
    Here's some of my Wooden Signs I have done for Aussie clients. All are hand designed, and although I use a router fitted with a 1/4" straight cutter. The router is Hand-guided, as I have my own alphabet font templates, which do not fit any commercial template guides, while for artistic designwork, simply hand draw the shape/s onto the timber, then engrave the shape into the timber with a Dremel type power-carver, fitted with an engraving tip, and attached to a Mini-router base. Cutting depth is preset at 1/8" for softwoods, and 1/16" for Aussie hardwoods. Although not for everyone, I do enjoy the freedom of creating Wooden Signs without using a commercial template guide. Although most of my clients are private home owners, who seek an interesting name for their house, beach house, etc., I have also designed several Sandwich board type shop signs, ( sidewalk, or footpath signs ), These are bigger, measuring 900mm, H x 600mm.W, ( 3ft x 2ft ), and have been done on recycled timber.
    *** Please note,- " Rat Haven, & Port Vincent Hardware, " Signs are actually cut on my Hegner Scroll Saw, then the lettering / rodent shape attached to a separate backing board.
    Later this year, or maybe early next year I plan to have some interesting, " How-to-do-it," downloadable videos available through the Parent Site of this forum. ( Canadian Woodworking & Home Improvement ),

Now to add some photos;-

'ave a good day, & happy woodworking,
    Roger
    Hi Roger. I really like the signs. I'm not clear on how you do them though. You say the router is "hand-guided" but then you mention your "own alphabet font templates". So are you following a template with the router guided by hand, similar to the Milescraft SignPro? (http://www.milescraft.com/products/s...2-signpro.html) I also like the idea of using the Dremel for detail work. Is the wood for the sign "The Beach House" the natural colour? If not, did you colour the surface and then paint the lettering? (I'm assuming the lettering is carved into the wood.) Are all the fonts the same size?
    Regards

Barry

"That's why I love my computer,,,,,,,, my friends live in it."
    - Colin Greg,
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England

"Yes, cheap pens can be made. I don't make them."
    - Daniel, Reno, NV

Real Name
    Roger Jenkins

Barry in London,- " Beach House," Sign,- That is done on old Australian Jarrah,- old sheep shearingshed flooring to be exact which I, " scored," as part-payment on a separate House Sign I did for a local farmer.
    Templates are all different sizes. No I don't use them in any form of template guide. To give you an idea of," How ? " Have a close look at the Boozing Kanga Intarsia photos in the Scroll Saw/Intarsia, etc., Forum.
    Later on when Paul Fulcher has got the Magazine Website redesigned, I plan on doing some, " How-to-Do-it," videos, which will show numerous tips, & techniques, including how I make the wooden signs. Meanwhile, the best answer I can supply is, Yes, the Router is hand-guided along the inside of each letter outline,- I mark out each letter / design off the master shape onto the timber, spacing done by, "eye," ( takes a bit of practice ), then set to work with the router, or the dremel.
    Another job I did for someone, ( never thought to take a photo ! ), was on a rustic piece of Australian Red Gum,- Routered in the lettering, which I then burnt using a gadget called, " Hot Devil " Micro Blow Torch to neatly burn the cutout lettering. I do admit that I only take some photos of my projects because, ( 1 ) I get that engrossed with what I am doing that I don't even think to take photos !! or, ( 2 ) When I do think of photos, the batteries are flat, or, ( 3 ), can't remember where I put the Camera !!!!!
    ** When I eventuatly get round to doing the videos for the Magazine Site,- a friend who is a semi-retired journalist, and who owns a nice, expensive hi-tec camera will be with me taking the photos, etc, editing them then ( after checking with me ) then emailing them to Paul Fulcher
    Hope the above info is what you seek,- if not ask again,
    Thanking you for your compliments on the signs,
    'ave a good day,
    Roger

Real Name
    Barry

Thanks for the explanation Roger. I'm looking forward to seeing the video's.
    Regards

Barry

"That's why I love my computer,,,,,,,, my friends live in it."
    - Colin Greg,
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England

"Yes, cheap pens can be made. I don't make them."
    - Daniel, Reno, NV