FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Tennons and Mortices

Default Tennons and Mortices

Anybody know any "tricks to the trade" for fitting tennons to mortices. I'm using trial and error in fitting some 3/4"W x4"L x2 1/2" deep tennons into mortices for a mission style bed. I get a snug fit that I can just pull apart but it seems to take quite awhile.

Al

Default Re: Tennons and Mortices

I'm not sure what you have for hand tools, but a shoulder plane makes quick work of this task. Just cut the tennon a hair oversize and plane it down to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by BRIEN View Post
    I'm not sure what you have for hand tools, but a shoulder plane makes quick work of this task. Just cut the tennon a hair oversize and plane it down to fit.
    I'm using a Stanley 78 as a shoulder plane. It removes the stock quite well , its knowing exacly where to remove seems to be the problem.

I use my table saw to make my tenons.
    With a piece of scrap I am able to get the thickness dialed in very close. If anything they will be just a tad tight. I sometimes use my shoulder planes for final thickness but if ones power planer is tuned to make sure all the pieces are the same thickness a few swipes with some sandpaper gives me the "not to tight and not to loose" fit for a tenon.
    Lastly, good mortises make fitting the tenons a lot easier...
    One quick question.
    Are these tenons for the bed going through? For me that changes a couple of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Zimmel View Post
    I use my table saw to make my tenons.
    With a piece of scrap I am able to get the thickness dialed in very close. If anything they will be just a tad tight. I sometimes use my shoulder planes for final thickness but if ones power planer is tuned to make sure all the pieces are the same thickness a few swipes with some sandpaper gives me the "not to tight and not to loose" fit for a tenon.
    Lastly, good mortises make fitting the tenons a lot easier...
    One quick question.
    Are these tenons for the bed going through? For me that changes a couple of things.
    No they do not go through. Basically the mortises are the problem. Because these mortises a quite large I have been drilling a row of 1/2 holes through the center of them, then I clamp a piece 1.5" x 1.5" on the leg and align it carefully with my marks and using this as guide I use a regular chisel and to clean out for the walls. Then I try to carefully true up the walls of the mortices using a combination square and try to get them as even and in alignment with my marks as possible, but they are not perfect. The tennons are not hard to make true, flat and and any thickness, but I though there might be way to fit them to the mortises that I didn't know about.

Try using a router to clean up the mortices. A simple jig will keep things aligned and the side walls will be mush more consistant and ready for tenons.
    Paul