FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Salad Bowl Finish - Polymerized Tung Oil

Default Salad Bowl Finish - Polymerized Tung Oil

Is polymerized tung oil (Lee Valley) food safe? I've heard that a good finish for salad bowls is pure tung oil, so I wondered if I could use polymerized tung oil instead. Does it dry faster than pure tung oil? Thanks in advance for any help.

Real Name
    just what you thought :^')

Default Re: Salad Bowl Finish - Polymerized Tung Oil

Quote Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
    Is polymerized tung oil (Lee Valley) food safe? I've heard that a good finish for salad bowls is pure tung oil, so I wondered if I could use polymerized tung oil instead. Does it dry faster than pure tung oil? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Hi Henry , I have used both pure and polymerized Tung oil, the pure does dry slower, but not very slow, like Linseed oil or Walnut oil, as these are also used sometimes, but they really "take forever" to polymerize.

Pure Tung will take from overnight to a full day to polymerize, depending temp and humidity levels (best temp is about 20C and lower than 60% humidity)

Polymerized Tung oil will polymerize faster because of the driers added, and is essentially food safe when fully polymerized.

I will add some info here, some of which I have and have taken parts from it as the whole piece is too long to add here.

My personal preference is the Polymerized Tung oil, as it gets harder and gives a higher luster/shine, though a salad bowl does not really need a finish like that, but of course I don't beforehand know what uses a bowl gets, so that's why I do add a finish like that, HTH

Pure Tung oil use.jpg

Pure Tung oil properties,.jpg
    Pure Tung oil use and characteristics.jpg

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Real Name
    Bill

My only addition is to be sure to read the label on the container. There are lots of things that get called tung oil and the like that may have very little in it and are mostly linseed oil.

billh

If you do a search for food safe wood finishes you will find several research papers that state any finish is food safe once the solvents have totally evaporated.
    This has been mentioned several times on the AAW web site and on other turning forums. HTH.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Andrew J. Coholic

Raw linseed, or raw tung are food safe (as are walnut oil, medicinal grade mineral oil and others).

Anything that is "polymerized" ( poly tung oil, danish oil, boiled linseed, etc) has metalic salts and solvents added to aid in the drying, and are generally NOT recommended for food contact items.

For my food contact wooden turnings, cutting boards, etc I use Boos block oil. It is inexpensive, and convenient, and 100% safe for anything you are going to put food in. There is also a more "plastic" looking finsih which is food safe, sold by Behlan (sp?) I used to buy through Richelieu Hardware, but I prefer the oil myself.

AJC
    Andrew J. Coholic

Joe Coholic Custom Furniture Ltd.
    Timmins, ON

Here's a few of many places for some reading. Note that the general consensus is that even something labelled food safe will still contain driers and solvents because there's been no link to any cases of health damage to humans when the "toxic" additives are completely cured.
    I use my own mix of varnish, oil and turpentine which is allowed to cure completely for about 30 days and then buffed with carnuba wax.
    Usually the source of information about the safety of finishes comes from the manufacturer of the finish and the label "food Safe" is purely advertising sales promotion because the FDA and others have not banned sthe use of the driers and chemical salts.
    http://voices.yahoo.com/food-safe-fi...t-6309070.html
    http://www.woodturnerruss.com/FSOriginal3a.html
    http://gvwg.ca/docs/Articles/Mark%20...%20safe037.pdf
    Last edited by Roudhead; 09-11-2012 at 10:33 AM.

For food contact items I like General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish. Very easy to apply and as the name says good for that use.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by venom813 View Post
    For food contact items I like General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish. Very easy to apply and as the name says good for that use.
    Here is the MSDS sheet for it:
    http://www.generalfinishes.com/sites...ear-2-4-09.pdf

As you can see with the ingredients and related hazards it is not to be treated like distilled water regardless of its name.

To be clear, I'm not an alarmist and am firmly in the camp that says pretty well any finish on the market is food-safe once it is cured and that is cured, not just dry.

billh

Thank you for the informative feedback. I appreciate all the links to further reading.

Real Name
    Dave Bell

I could not find the article, but I will keep looking for it. It basically states like mentioned above, that @ 30 days is all that is required for the oil to cure before it can safely be used as a food safe finish.

Dave