FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pros & cons of flat surface glass stove tops

Default pros & cons of flat surface glass stove tops

We find that reaching the controls of our electric range getting very difficult as we age. We want to buy a new stove with up front controls like a gas range. We don't cook with gas so electric is the choice.
    The only electric ranges I have found have the flat glass surface as opposed to the coils we now have.
    Just how easy are these tops to break? Is a special cleaner required?
    Bruce

Bruce in the Peg

Default Re: pros & cons of flat surface glass stove tops

Quote Originally Posted by blind bruce View Post
    We find that reaching the controls of our electric range getting very difficult as we age. We want to buy a new stove with up front controls like a gas range. We don't cook with gas so electric is the choice.
    The only electric ranges I have found have the flat glass surface as opposed to the coils we now have.
    Just how easy are these tops to break? Is a special cleaner required?
    Bruce
    As one who right now has a broken top and is trying to replace I can tell you I don't know how it has broken. I don't think I have dropped anything on it but it has cracked in many many places.
    It wasn't cheap when we bought it (6 years ago about $1500); it is made by Whirlpool but now it appears I cannot find the glass (ceramic) for it as whirlpool isn't making it anymore, so a $1500
    stove is now useless (well I'm still trying and using it) because of a glass.

They are easier to clean than the coil ones unless something is burned on it; there are special cleaners (like a polishing compounds). Next time I'm going with gass but if I have to choose between a coil and ceramic top I'd pick the latter.

We have a flat top ceramic style -- we like it.

There was another thread on Ceramic/Flat top that covered the pros and cons. Maybe someone can point you to it.

I suspect rapid temperature change could be an issue on these tops. Don't clean them till all the lights go out...

The burner lights stay on till the temperature of the top is reduced to a safe temperature.

M.Reza:

I would phone the manufacturer directly for the top. To sell a product on the international market there is a typically a 10 year requirement to supply parts. This is taken very seriously in the auto trade, for example, and has been subject to litigation where companies have failed to maintain inventories. For appliances I am less certain how seriously this requirement is observed.

If you do not get quick satisfaction, phone the company that made the stove -- ask for the president. Likely you will be passed to a secretary in a complaints department and told it is the presidents office. But at that level they take complaints seriously when you calmly and clearly ask to be directed to the president because nobody seems capable of solving your problem.

Note: If you do this have everything at your fingertips, Invoices Serial numbers, model numbers, service call records, parts depot contacted, service organizations used -- everything you can find. Be at a table beside the appliance if possible. To answer all questions without call-backs is the goal. Do not offer any criticism -- state facts simply and clearly.

When all else failed this has always worked for me. I have indeed had return phone calls from the president of some large companies asking me why things were not handled properly. So I do not do this unless people have indeed failed to resolve the problem quickly and cleanly -- nor do I demand "free service" -- just that I be allowed to repair an item at a reasonable cost -- or understand why it cannot be done.
    Last edited by willr; 09-16-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

For people who do break a top -- this might help...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWbByBzvhPU

enjoy

This might help too...
    http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/

I went to the site, keyed in our Model Number and Manufacturer. You have to choose the part group on the left -- the picture on a scrolling window i.e top/drawer on mine. Then you find the relevant part.

Our info was hidden behind the top of the bottom drawer -- I had to lay on the floor to see it. Had to squint and make sure I got the model right -- a flash light helps. It is right on the very front of our stove -- just behind the drawer lip is all.

Main Top -- $199

Elements $120 - $145

Hope that helps other too.
    Last edited by willr; 09-16-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    ---
    Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Real Name
    I.B.Woodworker

I had a Kitchenaid ceramic top stove. i managed to shatter the top. It happened that someone left one of those plastic milk bag tabs on the stove when they replaced the milk container. And someone happened not to see it and put a frying pan on said tab and then proceed to cook. And after cooking, turned off the element and didn't remove the pan to wash it until the element had cooled down.

That plastic tab turned into super glue and welded the frying pan to the cook top, and when I removed the pan, managed to shatter the whole ceramic top taking a big chunk with the frying pan.

I now have Gas and would not cook with anything else. The biggest issue with the glass top ones are they may heat up very quick, but temperature control isn't all that good. You can't bring something to boil, then reduce down to a simmer. It takes a long time for that ceramic to cool down. And there is no real temperature control, it's either full on or off. To get in-between temperatures it cycles full on/off in pulses to give an approximation. Horrid for melting chocolate.
    Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Caloric makes a stove with the controls up front we've had one for over 20 yrs. normal burners no flat top.

Bill R

I hate mine.
    Cleaning sucks and not only do you need perfectly flat pots, but one that will stay perfectly flat after all the uses. Otherwise the heat transfer isn;t that great. To ad insult to injury, mine is black. The worst kind to keep clean, or at least to make look clean.

I am pondering going to gas.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Quote Originally Posted by matt.mackinnon View Post
    I had a Kitchenaid cera..............with anything else. The biggest issue with the glass top ones are they may heat up very quick, but temperature control isn't all that good. You can't bring something to boil, then reduce down to a simmer. It takes a long time for that ceramic to cool down. And there is no real temperature control, it's either full on or off. To get in-between temperatures it cycles full on/off in pulses to give an approximation. Horrid for melting chocolate.
    I agree with this. Temperature control is very difficult. If you wish to reduce the temperature, it takes a long time for the top to cool down to the desired temperature and that frequently leads to overcompensating in either direction. After cooking with our new stove for 10 months now, I'm almost used to that idiosyncrasy.
    And of course being black and glossy, everything shows.

Tim

Thanks will, I had found those links (and a few other websites). All our appliances are bought as a package from Sears. The particular stove is their elite model (which is equivalent of Kitchenaid and made by Whirlpool). Sears says I can back order it but Whirlpool itself says they don't manufacture it anymore and no replacement part exists. Have checked many part suppliers all across NA and all say the same thing. I have placed an order with Sears a few weeks ago but I'm not holding my breath. If everything fails I guess I'll find a similar stove with similar top and order its part and hope to fit it in...

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0

Here's our range history:

1981 - new Kenmore ring element range - lasted long enough to satisfy us, and when it needed a new element on top and in the oven we donated it to a needy family.

1998 - Jennair gas range - not good build quality, but we loved the gas cooking - oven would go to as low as 125'F so we could make yogurt etc...

2010 - moved north - left the Jennair in the house we left - bought a new Kenmore glass top with radiant heat - very close to top of the line with 5 elements on top, one power elements self clean, etc. We love it! The top cleans easily, the temperature control is excellent - I can perk coffee in my old camp pot and it wont boil over and it doesn't quit perking, just perks along great. The self clean works well and the convection oven is great.

My choices for ranges would be Gas, Glass top radiant, Ring top, in that order.

I've never used induction, but I've been told that they're better than a glass top with radiant radiant heat and not as good as gas.

John
    Last edited by John Bartley; 09-17-2012 at 06:39 AM. Reason: last sentence - replaced conv with induction

Real Name
    yup its Greg

Well I have used all three and currently have convection and love it. Temperature control is very good and very repeatable. After a bit of use you remember the best setting for each meal item. Pots and pans are easy to find at ikea etc. The top does not get really really hot just hot were the hot pan sits on the top. Easy to clean. Wile it down and dry off. Mine has a power setting and it boils water very fast. Much faster than gas. Another advantage is low profile. I use the drawer right under the unit no problem. The unit is about 3" thick. I also have the bridge functionwhich combines 2 elements into one larger oval element for a griddle.

Definitely something to look into. It's sorta new to north America but has been used in other parts of the world for years. We have a LG model. Think it was $2,000. Probably cheaper now.
    "every man is the maker of his own misfortune"

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Andrew J. Coholic

Quote Originally Posted by darius View Post
    I hate mine.
    Cleaning sucks and not only do you need perfectly flat pots, but one that will stay perfectly flat after all the uses. Otherwise the heat transfer isn;t that great. To ad insult to injury, mine is black. The worst kind to keep clean, or at least to make look clean.

I am pondering going to gas.
    I hate ours as well. Same reasons... plus it takes a long time to heat up and stays hot forever. I love cooking with a gas stove, and our next one will be natural gas.

AJC
    Andrew J. Coholic

Joe Coholic Custom Furniture Ltd.
    Timmins, ON

Bill R, Do they still make Caloric ranges? I haven't been able to locate them.

Bruce in the Peg

Bruce,
    I just bought an induction top range. Absolute gem of a concept. Electrolux. We got real bold and went knob-less all electronic. Wave touch.
    On Off up down - all instant. Boils water up in no time.
    Next test is the "perfect turkey" roasting feature.
    We had to get new pots, but that was overdue. The Bay had a sale on Henkels ceramic coated frying pans. Those are the sweetest no stick I have ever used.
    Electrolux have a set coming as part of the promo.

Don
    Last edited by Don Burch; 09-16-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Induction cook tops solve the slow response to temperature changes experienced with the ceramic cooktops, and to an extent the old coil tops. I have heard of induction referred to as the electric equivalent of gas (or as close as you can get with current technology).

As mentioned it is a newer concept in NA but has been used in Asia for quite some time, so it is a proven technology. As awareness increases in NA the prices are becoming more reasonable. You may have to purchase some new cookware if a magnet will not stick to the bottom of your current pans.

Real Name
    yup its Greg

Agreed Don. Mine is totally knobless. All electronic touch. I am never going back to gas or any other method.
    "every man is the maker of his own misfortune"

Induction is pretty hard to beat. Since the glass does not heat up only the pot there's never any burnt on crud ever. We actually cooked a wack of bacon the other day by first laying paper towels over the top, then placed the pan over and proceeded to cook. No splatter to wipe away, just fold up the paper. Amazed the brunch bunch we had over.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Greg in Caledon View Post
    Agreed Don. Mine is totally knobless. All electronic touch. I am never going back to gas or any other method.

Never say never. It has occurred to me that the price of electricity could double again. A price of $0.50 /KWH is within view... Will Gas prices remain low or fall even further?

There are many things that are being added on to the KWH price -- many environmental issues are shifted to the tax base these days.
    http://freewco.blogspot.ca/2012/09/e...e-pembina.html

All of these things appear in the GAM -- which is never clearly explained. You can discuss those issues on the other site.
    ---
    Will

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Lisa

Wow! Imagine all the fires that could be prevented if every home had a stove top like this...
    How hard can it be? Guys do it everyday

Bruce - if you use any cast iron - forget the glass top or change pots

Manitoba Hydro is fairly reasonable for electrical but if I have to get another stove, it will be gas (with front controls)
    Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg