FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Japanese Chisels

Peter Guest

Default Japanese Chisels

Hi Guys
    I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice on a useful set of Japanese chisels for general cabinetry, finish carpentry or furniture work. I'm at the source and felt they would be a neat and useful souvenir, but really don't know what to look for.
    Thanks in advance.
    Peter

Rob Wilson Guest

Default Re: Japanese Chisels

Can you access the online catalog for Lee Valley Tools? (www.leevalley.com)

Current (2004-05) catalog shows Japanese Bevel Edge Chisels - page 60, items numbered: 60S06.01, 0.3, 0.6, 0.9, .12, .08, .24, .36, .42, .51.

Good luck.

Bob, in Lachute, Qc. Guest

Default Peter, Try This Link

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/page.asp?content_id=2896

Should be some good info there.

All the best, Konichi-wa, Bob

I got 2 "blue" chisels from Japan woodworker, 1/4 and 1/2 as they were the second highest rated in Fine Woodworking test. Boy, do they cut.
    I had compared them with the LV Japanese chisel and LV indicated that their set was not to the same standard as the "blue". This was a couple of years ago and this may have changed.

The Japanese tool is shorter and I think easier to control in hand work. I had purchased them for completing dovetails.

Peter Guest

Thank you guys. Those are the kind of reviews I was looking for. As I mentioned, there's probably no economy in buying them here, (they're sitting on the world's most expensive real estate) just an interesting and useful souvenir.
    Peter in Tokyo.