FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Nova 2024 DVR

Default Nova 2024 DVR

Has anyone own the 2024 DVR, I wouldn't mind upgrading, but have not heard too much about this lathe lately. KMS tools will be putting it on sale next week-end for $2499, and am seriously considering it.

Your thoughts ??? Any owners ???

Thanks
    James

Default Re: Nova 2024 DVR

I too have been considering it. The 16" version DVR gets good reviews but haven't found much info (reviews) about this one.

FYI there is a (new in crate) powermatic 4224A on e-bay for $4k in Seattle, it has free shipping in US but offered me $150 off if I arrange pick-up.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powermatic-4...80480346494%26
    If that is something in your price range I can give you more info about quotes I got for shipping.
    I backed out because I realized 4224A has a fixed headstock.

Would love to get something like that, but a little too pricey, thanks for the tip though

James

Real Name
    George Thompson

I have had the new 2044 for about four months and it has been great better software and lots of power. We have turned some very big burls on it so far and had no troubles.
    GeorgeIMG_0040.jpg

I've had mine since spring and I'm very happy with it. I got an extra bed section so it's a 2044. The only problem is the stand is a bit light if you're turning anything that's off-centered, and that's a minor problem. You could always find some way to weight it down, like maybe bolting it to a 1 inch thick sheet of steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Art in Prince George View Post
    I've had mine since spring and I'm very happy with it. I got an extra bed section so it's a 2044. The only problem is the stand is a bit light if you're turning anything that's off-centered, and that's a minor problem. You could always find some way to weight it down, like maybe bolting it to a 1 inch thick sheet of steel.
    Can you please post a pic of how the setup looks with the bed extension? If I buy one I'd like to get that too but it seems to me the base is not extendable, so the bed extension should stick out from the right side without support beneath, is that correct?
    Last edited by mreza; 10-07-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Real Name
    Bill

Have a look at:

http://www.teknatool.com/products/La...t/Bed_Unit.htm

Looks like 1 section is OK unsupported.

billh

Real Name
    George Thompson

Have mine at the end because it gives you more leg room. Checked with tecknatool and they said the leg can go in ether place. As you see I put in an extra brace but it is not needed.
    GeorgeIMG_0190.jpg

thanks for the photo.
    BTW, do you know where is this machine made? N.Z.?

Made in China for a NZ company.

Awesome, thanks for your photos guys !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mreza View Post
    Can you please post a pic of how the setup looks with the bed extension? If I buy one I'd like to get that too but it seems to me the base is not extendable, so the bed extension should stick out from the right side without support beneath, is that correct?
    Yup, but no problem, it's solid. Or you could move the legs to the end of the extension if you prefer.

DSCF1753 (2).jpg

further to the picture that ve7twg posted re his Nova 2024. that bowl hanging outboard on the lathe is finished out at 22 ". we started out with a roughed out spruce burl 34" by 11", hanging in the same position. the turning speed was around 300rpm, and increased as we rounded it out. took 3 1/2 hrs to get the chunk to roughout status, 23" by 7". after drying for about 3 months,we remounted it out board as shown, finished it off, reversed it with a vacuum chuck, and took the foot off and finished the backside off. thru the whole proceedure, the 2024 lathe performed flawlessly. George made a good decision to upgrade to this unit from his previous Nova DVR. good move for me too. Firsty