FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Snow Fence for metal roof installation

Default Snow Fence for metal roof installation

My parents home has a metal roof and they are having trouble keeping up with snow sliding off, blocking the garage door. I want to install a snow fence to eliminate the problem, but can't find any info on installation. I'm not even sure of what this fence looks like as I had my wife stop by the building supply and get a price ($30 for a 20' length), so I'm assuming this is the one that runs horizontal, on the top of the little ridges, near the lower part of the roof. I was thinking of putting it up the roof, at the wall line and attaching it with screws thru the ridges into the deck. Am I missing anything?

thanks

Real Name
    Richard Lee

Default Re: Snow Fence for metal roof installation

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...TY4aNogUzBwAEA
    Ijust Googled it there is lots ofinfo!
    You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

thanks for the link. I guess I should've searched Snow Bar or Rail instead of Fence. The systems they show are attached to a standing seam metal roof. My parents house is not quite that fancy.

Unless your roof is designed to hold snow, then it is usually pretty difficult to get snow fencing to work. At best screwing down the snow fence causes leaks, at worst it warps the structure or pulls the screws out. The weight of the snow causes the screw to move and loosen, and eventually just tear it out completely. The clamp style system works alright as it just pops off when the load gets to be too much. If you could install a screw down system so the fasteners are underneath the metal at a seam (like the slateguard system on the above website) it might work as well. The plastic types that use adhesive just break or the adhesive lets go (but at least it limits damage to the roof).

Real Name
    Dennis

The purpose of a snow guard/rail/brake is not to hold snow on the roof but to break up the snow or slow it down as it slides off. Snow accumulates on a steel roof in the cold then releases in an avalanche when the sun heats up the roof. With ours hundreds of pounds of snow will come down over the break at once. We need to be very careful some days. I wouldn't do anything to hold large quantities of snow on a roof.

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

I took this pic. a couple days ago at my sons house in Kimberly which is just across from a ski hill there is no shortage of snow there. A large percentage of the homes have snow stops on metal roofs to keep the snow on the roof not piled up in door ways and on walks. When installed as recommended by manufacturer there is no danger of damaging roof .
    Luke's 2012 009.jpg
    Bill R

Real Name
    Dennis

These are what we have on our roof. They are fine but I wouldn't want anything any higher.

I have something similar on my shop roof. Shopmade from stainless steel. I don't see the issue with holding the snow on the roof. It's no different than snow not sliding off an asphalt roof. Seems a lot safer than having hundreds of pounds dropping onto unsuspecting visitors. Mind you there are some visitors....
    If a man speaks in the forest, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong

Real Name
    Dennis

Do a thought experiment. If one inch is OK and two inches is OK how about 12 inches of snow on a roof or maybe 16? There is a limit and going over is asking for trouble. We have a spot where two sections of our roof meet and the snow will come down all at once. It compresses so much one shovel full weighs about 30 pounds. Its better off than on.

So on that thought, all asphalt roofs should be banned since they don't shed snow?
    If a man speaks in the forest, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong

On my workshop I have a steel roof and to prevent sheets of snow coming down over the doors, I installed Polycarbonate Polar Blox Snow Guards. They have been on for 8 years and so far no problems. They are designed to withstand 2500 pounds of pressure. They are available through local home building stores or anyone who sells steel roofing. A google for ''polar Blox'' will give you a picture and description.

Real Name
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Ayr View Post
    So on that thought, all asphalt roofs should be banned since they don't shed snow?
    Not at all. The issue is how much snow you want to build up on your roof. Most roofs shed snow at the appropriate time. My point is simply don't encourage snow build-up beyond what will fall off naturally.

I think it is kind of hard to generalize if a roof is strong enough to hold the snow unless you know how it was framed in relation to the code, which accomodates for snow load based on location. Snow stops like Bill's pics above are very common around Golden, had them on my house, and I can't recall anyone I know ever having an issue. If I had an older house with sketch framing I would likely think twice.

Matt
    SPCHT

I have snow dam (or whatever ) on my garage roof. The steel looks like the stuff on the house in the picture. I put it on as suggested by the guys who installed the eaves trough so the sliding snow would not tear the troughs off. It is screwed to the roof with the screws though the snow dam on top of the ridges. The screw gaskets seal the top surface, and the joint between the roofing and the dam is on top of the ridge, and under the dam. No leaks have ever been detected.
    Water runs under the dam.

I need it on the garage because the fascia is narrow enough that the eavestrough could not be low enough to let the snow slide over. My house has wider fascia and the snow slides over with no problem, except for the occasional avalanche. It has never fallen on anyone, but it sounds exciting from inside
    It ain't the things you don't know that get you in trouble. It's the things you know for sure that just ain't so.