FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sliding barn door hardware (interior)

Default sliding barn door hardware (interior)

Hey all,

Anyone have any idea where to get sliding door hardware like this for less than $1000?

http://www.realcarriagedoors.com/har...age=sliding-hw

Living-Room-Dining-Room-Divider-Barn-Doors-J2905-1-sm.jpg

The wife just had this idea yesterday, we have a 5' wide doorway between our rec room and my home gym in our basement that we'd like to close off. I was thinking of using 2 x French doors that are actually just like the ones in the picture here but with glass inserts instead of wood panels.

I've only just started peaking around the net for these but keep finding high end sites that package the hardware for crazy amounts like $995 or higher. um... yeah.... that doesn't include the doors... it's only the bar/track and rollers.

2. Thread Continues Below...

Default Re: sliding barn door hardware (interior)

Pricey, yikes....It is nice looking hardware though. We've gotten stuff from a farming supply place before. Not nearly as polished looking as this stuff but was better suited the style of home at the time. Pretty sure Richelieu has stuff too if you can find someone with an account.
    Last edited by OttawaP; 11-25-2012 at 09:21 AM.
    Paul

Make your own. Its not really that complicated - and the price is over-inflated by the popularity. You can get pulleys at any Cdn Tire, HD, Lowes, HH, etc. There are also rollers that you can get for clothes lines or doors that can be used. A piece of flat stock, drilled out and bent gets you the roller hooks and two pieces of flat stock with tube for spacers gets you the wall mount and guide for the rollers. Rout a channel in the bottom of the doors and install a pin in the floor to keep them hanging.

If you are really stuck, buy an old set on Ebay. There are lots of antique rollers available, and the rail is pretty simple to make with flat stock, some tube for spacers, and a couple of long bolts.

Richelieu does sell some rollers but not like the ones in your photo. And they are still in the $500-1500 range.

I have made a set for a closet in my bedroom, just haven't built the door yet. Tested and they work fine. Some flat black paint to age them, and ready to go.
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."

Blog Entries

You could also try your local Habitat Restore, or even phoning others further away and asking over the phone.

http://www.habitat.ca/restore-p7376.php#findrestore

Guelph
    104 Dawson Road
    Guelph, Ontario N1H 1A7

Email: restore@guelphrestore.ca
    Phone: (519) 780-2323
    Kevin

Real Name
    J.P.

Try Richards Wilcox. I think they're still in Mississauga. They are a garage door manufacturer and I seem to recall this (or very similar) hardware being used on their sliding fire doors. That hardware was very common about 50 years ago.
    Maybe try some of the industrial door service companies in your area. They may be able to order it or at least point you in the right direction. I wouldn't expect to get it for less than $300 but that a lot better than 900.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Blog Entries
    Real Name
    Bill

Would sliding barn dr. hardware work ? Home Hardward here sells it of less than $100 galv. but you could paint it.

Bill R

8. Thread Continues Below...

Thanks for the tips guys!! Some good ideas to check out here. I'll take a look at the habitat store and home hardware. I also found a place searching for 'barn door sliders' online that got the price down to 300-400 for the same look as the other place in my op... much more realistic. I was thinking it wouldn't be hard to make my own though too.

I'll try to remember to post pics when I'm done... will be awhile though, we still have to do the drywall and paint on the new partition wall.

Real Name
    Paul W.

try rusticahardware.com They're showing hardware in the mid $300 range. In the states though.
    Paul W.

Real Name
    Ted

The Barn type comes in two styles Round actually oval, and square. The better is the round also called "Cannonball"it works smoother but is more costly, the difference for both is they run inside the track not on top as shown. Years ago I installed some in a loft for a horse person who wanted a barn stall look for a bedroom, I used the Cannonball type bought at a farm supply and painted it.
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Blog Entries

Jerome
    Elmvale On.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    Benjamin Franklin

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz73 View Post
    Hey all,

Anyone have any idea where to get sliding door hardware like this for less than $1000?

The wife just had this idea yesterday, we have a 5' wide doorway between our rec room and my home gym in our basement that we'd like to close off. I was thinking of using 2 x French doors that are actually just like the ones in the picture here but with glass inserts instead of wood panels.

I've only just started peaking around the net for these but keep finding high end sites that package the hardware for crazy amounts like $995 or higher. um... yeah.... that doesn't include the doors... it's only the bar/track and rollers.
    I don't have anything to add that will help in your search, but wanted to thank you for the idea.

I have been thinking about pocket doors between our living room and entryway, but dreading the amout of work to retrofit the existing walls to accept the pocket doors. This will work with minimum fuss, and will fit in well as we live in a farming community.

I might even think about making the track/hangers/rollers out of wood as well, for an even more rustic look, but failing that, there are lots of farm supply places around here with the hardware, and a rattlecan finish will look just as good at a distance as the $1000 stuff I bet.

14. Thread Continues Below...

for far less then the 1000 you mentioned you could easily find a blacksmith who would bang out the parts for you for likely a few hundred tops. Just put a nice beeswax polish on them and you are done. At least here on PEI maybe they are more expensive in Guelph.

Try KN Crowder in Burlington

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Burch View Post

Don
    wow... these guys have the exact stuff I was looking for and are real close. Hope their prices are decent. Will check it out.

thanks Don.

Real Name
    John

KN Crowder don't sell direct, only through resellers like Richelieu. Give them a call and they will direct you to a retail source.

John

Real Name
    J.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Burch View Post

Don
    I forgot about those guys. Used to buy quite a bit from them. I have their cataloug right here.
    If you know anyone who can buy through a business, you could purchase from them that way (we used to buy direct).
    Cheers
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

20. Thread Continues Below...

Hello,
    I do know a place that sells awsome sliding door hardware www.jrehardware.com mine ended up much less than 1000.00 delivered to my door.
    Quote Originally Posted by kreutz73 View Post
    Hey all,

Quote Originally Posted by Timberworks View Post
    Hello,
    I do know a place that sells awsome sliding door hardware www.jrehardware.com mine ended up much less than 1000.00 delivered to my door.
    Rustica is the cheapest that I could find. If you live near the border they also have free shipping. I paid $1000 for the 2 sets of doors that you see and that was 18' with 2 extra hangers each side. I can buy all the modern hardware I want at wholesale but no body in Canada makes the Rustic stuff. Rustica makes their own and make it to order. These are top notch quality and I would order from them again.
    See post -- http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...090-Barn-Doors .
    If you go to their site and punch in a 10' track and 2 extra hangers it comes out @ $528. This would do a 5' opening with 2 doors. FWIW.
    Last edited by Wally in Calgary; 01-25-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Real Name
    J.P.

Wally, Check out Timberworks posts. He's made six posts all referencing JRE hardware. Most of them are in old threads.
    He must really like JRE hardware.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.

Quote Originally Posted by J.P. Rap View Post
    Wally, Check out Timberworks posts. He's made six posts all referencing JRE hardware. Most of them are in old threads.
    He must really like JRE hardware.
    Yes -- I saw that -- He must have shares or something!! I can buy all that modern stuff -- no problem but it's the rustic that's hard to get at a decent price.