FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Put a Power Feeder on my Router Table (w/pics)

David in London Guest

Default Put a Power Feeder on my Router Table (w/pics)

Evening All,

I have a ton of doors to make and I didn't like the idea of hand feeding all that material over my router table. I have been meaning to make a new better router table, but I have just not got around to it, so I brought home a power feeder from work and just bolted to my existing somewhat down and out router table.

The router table is the only piece of woodworking machinery that has ever bitten me and I am leery of hand feeding boards over it. I must say that pushing the board into the first wheel, and grabbing it from the third wheel was much easier on the sphincter muscle than hand feeding. Not only that, but running at 14 ft/min gave excellent quality of cut with a set of CMT cutters, no burning and no discernible milling marks. Not like when I was hand feeding, little burn marks when I was moving my hands, or jiggles in the profile. I am sold on this and wish I had bought one a long time ago.

The Delta 36-850 1/4 HP power feeder parts out of the box,

The power feeder mounted to my router table,

A bunch of rough cut rails,

The rails all milled,

Runing the rails through the router table with the power feeder,

All the rails milled,

These are all rough length and some multiple length, I will cut all the rails and stiles from this stock tomorrow.

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

Peter Harvey Guest

Default Re: Put a Power Feeder on my Router Table (w/pics)

As "Tim Talyor" said "the more power....." etc. I put a power feeder on my jointer and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. It does a superior job (on long boards) to hand feeding and is both faster and wastes less wood. Power feeders are commonly used on shapers so why not on a router?

Jamie in Brantford Guest

You're a madman, David. Is this for you parent's kitchen, or have you started a new project?

Eggboy Guest

Very cool! never seen one. How portable is it? -looks like just a couple bolts to the table?, could a guy take it from router to jointer easily with just a couple bolt connections? and how much is a power feeder? -thanks again -Andy

Default David - THANK YOU - But

a coupla questions if you don't mind....

Can this power feeder be moved from machine to machine? If so, how easliy?

How much are they?

Thank you, David.

Howard

David in London Guest

Ayup, this is still my parents kitchen...

I hope to have it done by 2012 .

David.

David in London Guest

>>> Very cool! never seen one. How portable is it? -looks like just a couple bolts to the table?, could a guy take it from router to jointer easily with just a couple bolt connections? and how much is a power feeder? -thanks again -Andy

You would not want to bolt and unbolt the "foot" to take it from machine to machine. You would buy extra feet and leave them bolted to each machine. To remove the feeder from the foot you simply turn a leaver. I am thinking of adding a foot to my table saw so I only have to start the board into the saw and the power feeder pulls it through the blade and then clean.

This Delta unit is about $800.00.

David.

Dave,

I noticed the Performax 25 in the background. How do you like it.

Mitch

David in London Guest

Mitch,

>>>I noticed the Performax 25 in the background. How do you like it.

That is a Performax 5hp, 25" single drum SuperMax 25.

I **REALLY** like it!

I run everything through it. Just yesterday I was running the recessed panels for the doors I am working on through the sander. I just used 180 grit on the hard maple, I then used the ROS for a few seconds with 150g. Talk about a time saver and a perfect surface.

David.