FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Dust Collection

Bruce in Oakville Guest

Default Dust Collection

Forgive this long winded post...My shop is in my basement (13x22)...and from a convenience perspective it has been great. For dust collection, I bought a 2 1/2 piping system with gates that hook up to my tools and is powered by my shop vac. This has worked ok up until I bought the planner, and I find I fill the shop vac in no time. I think I need to take the next step in dust collection and move to a 4" pipe and perhaps a 2hp dust collector. I have been looking at a couple of systems..some of which ahve a 1 micron bag...some have a 50 micron bag......at the end of the day, I want to minimize the dust that may circulate throughout the house...as well as minimize the noise that will be in my shop. Being a normal human, I am ok with a system that allows using one tool at a time. I am more concerned about the volume of chips from my planner as well as the overall dust level in the shop itself. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Thread Continues Below...

Default Re: Dust Collection

My shop's a similar size 12 x 32. I use a King 3108 which is a 2 hp dust collector and using the planer/jointer fill's it every 35 bf or so.

Bill Howatt Guest

Default Re: Dust Collection

I would go with the 1 micron bag. I would also add a garbage can separator for the planer shavings. They can get caught in the web at the input to the DC and plug it up; unless you break it out. The garbage can is also a lot easier to empty than fooling with a DC bag.
    A 2HP DC isn't real quiet but it is a deeper whine than a shop-vac and IMO less irritating.

Bill