FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Finish for Cherry

Pamela Guest

Default Finish for Cherry

I am making a cherry crandle for my sisters new baby, and was wondering what finish people use on cherry, as I have never worked with this wood before. I have heard that Danish oil is the best finish to use on cherry. But I was wondering what other peoples choices where.
    Thank you
    Pamela

Jim Shaver, Oakviile Ont. Guest

Default Re: Finish for Cherry

Hi Pamela,

Cherry may well be my most favorite wood to work with. Recently I finished a cherry EC and used a series of steps to finish out the cherry.

Goes like this, 3 coats of Watco danish oil, 24 hours cure between coats, light sanding with wet/dry 400 on that last coat. 4-6 coats of a home made wiping clear top coat, applied like the Danish oil (vol of 1/3 tung oil, 1/3 poly(I use Flecto satin) and 1/3 thinner). On the last two coats I use the same 400 wet paper to wet sand in the finish, then apply a paste wax final finish.

If you are thinking of a finish for a cherry craddle you will want to comnsider a child safe finish, the one I described will need a few weeks to fully harden out based on humidity and may NOT be suitable for a craddle.

I am of the school of allowing cherry to age with time to a natural colour, with out any other information avaible to me I might consider a water based top coat, even shellac.

Take Care,
    Jim

Default Re: Finish for Cherry

Pamela, I have worked with cherry often and like to "pop the grain" with boiled linseed oil 50:50 with turpentine, followed after two or more days with two or more coats of satin poly. After the oil application, it must be wiped off to a surface dry condition. You may see some of my work at the link below.

Best Regards, Ron.

http://grampasworkshop.virtualave.net/eversprj.html

Dan Madill Guest

Default Hey Ron Evers

Hey Ron...Cool Site!!!....I'm up in Barrie and was in Beeton last week ...should be down there again in a week or so...might stop in to meet you and see the projects for real, if that's alright with you....Dan Madill

Default Visit

Sure Dan, just let us know a little ahead and you are welcome to visit.

Best Regards, Ron.