FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Explosion-proof exhaust fans

Kerry- in Calgary Guest

Default Explosion-proof exhaust fans

Does anyone know where to get an explosion proof fan that could be installed in a basement WW shop? I have an area in my shop about 6' by 8' that I would like to isolate from the rest of the shop with a poly curtain and use it as a finishing area, but I have no ventilation in there.

I installed a fresh air circulating fan in my 400 sq. ft. shop but it is inadequate for providing the necessary ventilation for finishing. Besides, I would like to isolate the finishing area so that I can continue to work if something is drying.

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

Kerry- in Calgary Guest

Default Re: Explosion-proof exhaust fans

Ooooh, I just noticed my post time.

Happy Canada Day everyone!!!

Gord - Cambridge Guest

Hi Kerry

Try here, they will be able to tell you where a canadian dealer is.

http://www.steamjenny.com/fans/explproof.html

W.Y. Guest

You can get one at www.princessauto.com Expensive but very necessary. Wise decision to get a sealed explosion proof motor for spraying. I was spraying some guitars years ago with a motor that looked sealed all right but it wasn't explosion proof. Cleaning out the gun with laquer thinner and there was a loud bang and flames. Luckilly I had a fire extinguisher right beside me.. Which leads to another suggestion........Have a good fire extinguisher at arms reach in any kind of spray booth with any kind of fan motor. Good luck and work safely.
    W.Y.

Ken (Ottawa area) Guest

Our local Co-op (farm supplies) carry explosion-proof fans for use in ventilating barns.

E. Tonks Guest

Once you have rounded up an explosion-proof fan, the next thing you must check out is explosion-proof lights. Ordinary lights can creat a spark or arc which can ignite the flamable fumes. Actually all wiring within the paint booth must be explosion proof also -- or eliminated. Explosion proof flourescent lamps are extremely expensive. Years ago, my father owned an autobody repair shop, and had explosion proof lights installed in has paintshop. They had cast bases and a domed glass cover that screwed onto the base just like a mason jar onto its lid. They were large enough for a 200w bulb, and were the least expensive.

A word of caution, spray painting inside a building is dangerous, laquer is very dangerous (it is made of nitro-cellulose, a cousin of nitro-glycerin) and should not be used without all the safety and protection methods available.

Harvey Freeman - Halifax. Guest

Kerry;

I use an HVLP sprayer with water based acrylic paint in my small with no spray booth at all but would never think of spraying quick dry industrial enamel paint there.

I am considering building a shelter in the back yard to provide sufficient enclosure from wind but still very well ventilated naturally where I can spray the industrial enamel.