FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Advice Needed....

Default Advice Needed....

Morning All,

I have a piece of furniture that my Grandfather made around 1900. It is a magazine rack with a built in reading light.

The light is on a pole about 4 ft tall. The pole is made up of about 50 or 60 turned pieces of wood.

My delema...some of the elements have cracked and broken. Should I turn new ones just like the originals or should I use the original good ones and some of my own design.

This piece has no commercial value that I know of and no one else in the family wants it, no offspring to pass it on to ect.

Thoughts and ideas please.

Glenn Guest

Default Re: Advice Needed....

For posterities sake I would retain all the good elements and make replacements for the cracked ones. And it would be nice to fix a plaque somewhere on theunit recording it's origin.

without seeing it, its difficult to give advise. keep as much as possible, if the cracks are length wise.....cut wedges and glue them in. What is beyond repair, replace.

I like the idea of a small plaque.

Regards

Tom,

Sometimes it doesn't matter who made the item in order for it to have commercial value. Often people who furnish their homes with antiques look for time origin as much as commercial origin. The piece likely has charachteristics relevent to the period of origin thus you may be surprised what some one might pay for it some day.

That said, I think Glen and Roman have provided good advice on the repair issues. The biggest problem you may have is matching the finish, but then you said you were going to strip it.

Fixing gracks is not impossible. I had restored some old office chairs from the grain elevator that had I worked in, which were in similar shape many years ago. I actually took the cracked pieces and broke them all the way then reglued it, which will stop the crack from recurring. I then filled the voids with a mixture of glue and the sanding dust, which blended in almost perfectly.

The plaque is a great idea. You could always Will it to family member, brother, sister, cousin, niece or nephew etc. as a family heirloom.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Wendall

Norman (Metcalfe, Ont.) Guest

Tom,

Sounds like an interesting restore.
    Any way you can post a picture or two.
    I's like to see it

Norman

Hi Tom: The commercial value of an artifact is at best 'artificial' - witness the Antique Road Show syndrome.
    As to should you restore it - ask yourself if YOU like it, does it have intrinsic value considering who made it and are you looking for a turning project; and (oh yes,lol)do you happen to have a shiny new lathe?
    Keeping/repairing what's there or replacing some of the parts with your own turnings will add even more to its personal value. My .02.

Ron Evers Beeton ON Guest

Sentimental value, real value, who knows. There is a corner cupboard in my shop that my grandfather started to strip and did not finish that was made as a wedding present for them by his brother. On top of the cupboard is a lamp made by the son of the cupboard maker and I cannot dispose of them nor consider having them in our living space. They are family history that I likely only appreciate.

Best Regards, Ron.

O.T. a bit. I can almost hear the laughter after you read this but I sign,date and address everything I make. Sometimes I even put on little notes like the weather or even what I built it for. Now I'm not much of a craftsman judging from pictures on this site but an hundred years from now what I did may continue to have meaning to someone because of that information.
    Oh ya, in case you haven't guessed by now, I love history besides woodworking and I've spent away too much time at auctions.

Default Re: Advice Needed....Pics *PIC*

Sorry for the delay...homeowner chores...did I ever say that I hated sunny, warm weather when other things keep me out of the shop!!!

I have a couple of quick pics of the unit I am talking about.

I did a quick estimate...there are about twelve elements missing altogether and about another two dozen damaged. I don't know why, but almost every element is a seperate piece of wood. You can't see the joints in most placesI can only tell because you can move each one seperatley.

I am not touching the bottom...it has a lovely 100 year old patina that I could never match.

Since this piece only has value to me and my wife I think I am first going to try and match the elements and finish on the missing ones. By then I will be familiar with the shapes and I will either repair or replace the damaged ones.

Thanks for all your replies and you have helped me make my decision.

Tom in Red Deer

Default Re: Advice Needed....Pics..detail *NM* *PIC*

Default Re: Advice Needed....Pics..detail2 *NM* *PIC*

Hi Jarratt,

Let's see...projects...yup, I can always use another one. I have about 40hrs on the green beast. It isn't shiny anymore but it sure loves to work. It has a hell of an apitite for wood I can tell you.

This project is more of a challenge because I am trying to match quality of someone that turned and sold stuff for 40 years.
    Tom in Red Deer

Default Re: Advice Needed....Pics..detail2

identify the wood specie and get some of the same.

Its not badly damaged. Some only require wedges cut and glued into the cracks, then shaped after the glue is dry. Others need a sharp chisel to even up the jagged edges, add wood to fit, shape to suit.

The patina. If you dissolve amd leave the pasty finish on it, spread it around and let ir dry again (acts like a stain) then remove it all...re stain...........brand new agian.

Good luck

BTW.............looks like an oil lamp, perhaps you can find a new globe

Thanks Roman, I didn't have any idea how to go about matching the color. With your instructions I think it will be easier.

Actually it is an electric light but it does need a new globe and socket and wiring.

When I get ready for coloring, I will be asking more questions.

Tom in Red Deer

Hi Glen

The plaque is a lovely idea. I have a friend that does some engraving...she likes some of the bowls I just did...time for a trade.

Thanks

Tom in Red Deer

J.P.Rap in Hamilton Guest

Default Re: Advice Needed....Pics..detail2 *PIC*

Hi Tom. Here’s an idea.
    You mentioned that each of the elements is a separate piece. That can work to your advantage. On some of the damaged pieces you will be able to remove just the damaged portion and replace it as another element.
    For example, in detail #2, only the bead is damaged. Turn a new bead then cut off the old one so the top is flat and just stack the new bead on top of the spindle. Since the light is electric, I assume there is a tube running down the center that holds everything together. That would partially explain why there are so many pieces. It's easier to drill a straight hole down the center of a short piece than a long piece.
    FWIW
    J.P.

Hi J.P.

Boy, you may have just saved me a whole lot of work. When I get a minute I will take an element off and check to see if it will spin "round". If so I can use your idea.

There is a tube down the middle that is threaded on both ends so the whole works can be tighted up.

I should have thought of that. My miniature floor lamps are exactly the same way because...it is nearly impossible to drill a straight hole only 5 inches in length!

Thanks again J.P.

Ever thought of writing a book?

Tom in Red Deer

J.P.Rap in Hamilton Guest

Your welome... and the answer is yes, I have, and if I ever get enough of my planned projects out of the way, I just might.
    J.P.