FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Record planes, comment & question.

Bruce Klette Guest

Default Record planes, comment & question.

This sunday I was indulging in one of my favourite pastimes, which is scrounging. I came across a record 04 plane in absolute mint condition, for a price that I just could not ignore. I had never handled a Record plane before, but watching Rob Cosworth using them on his DVD's was enough for me to realize that they could be tuned pretty well.

I must be honest, after giving this plane a close once over, I believe it is superior to the stanleys and I have a soft spot for stanley tools. The first thing you notice is the weight, it is heavy. The sole is pretty close to true, but does not look like it has been lapped. This plane just feels like a good tool.

One question I have, is that besides the brand name, the plane carries an "SS" mark, bright, front and centre. What does this stand for ?. The sensible bet is Sheffield Steel, but I would like to know if anyone is sure about this.

Thanks

Bruce

Default Re: Record planes, comment & question.

Hi Bruce,
    It's nice finding an old tool that feels right, I have several old Stanleys but only one of them feels like that. I didn't even have to fettle it, it works perfectly.
    The SS on the Record stands for "Stay Set", which referred to the chipbreaker that had some special design. I don't know much more about it than that, but apparently the Stay Set Records are superior in function to non-SS, and they also fetch a significantly higher price from collectors. Clifton now uses the term "Stay Set" for their chipbreakers, I don't know if they bought the patent from Record, but it might be interesting to find out. Anyway, it seems you got a fine plane at a good price...congrats.
    Frank

As far as I know, a 'Stay set' chipbreaker comes in two parts. The forward part remains attached to the iron when sharpening so that less time is spent in resetting the chipbreaker.

Never seen or used one.

- Stephen

That's Clifton's version.

Bruce Klette Guest

Default Re: Record planes, comment & question. *LINK*

Great, now that I know what to search for, I found a picture, see attached link. It appears that the Record and Clifton have exactly the same chipbreaker. Thanks for the responses.

BTW, as well as the plane for $30, I found boxed set of six Robert Sorby detail carving chisels for $25, a pretty good morning for me. Maybe I should stop woodworking and start tool collecting :-)

Chipbreaker

Thanks for the follow-up Bruce. And you were right Stephen; what a team effort! At least I learned something today. I wish I had such luck when I was hunting. I saw a set of Sorby chisels once, 10 for $200 in an antique store...I passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen in Ottawa View Post
    As far as I know, a 'Stay set' chipbreaker comes in two parts. The forward part remains attached to the iron when sharpening so that less time is spent in resetting the chipbreaker.

Never seen or used one.

- Stephen
    G'Day Stephen
    You might like to have a look at my site on Record Hand Planes
    you can find me at www.recordhandplanes.com this will let you know of the Record Stay-Set Cap-Iron. Record did not call it a chipbreaker
    Regards
    David

I've also taken a shine to the Record planes and think they are "heftier" than my Baileys of a similar era. I also think Millers Falls planes are heftier than the Baileys. The Records and MFs are definitely more colorful than the Baileys, which we all know is the most important aspect of any good handplane!

Just finished watching David Charlesworth's latest video, shot at Lie Neilsen's shop. In one of the sections, DC is using a Record (4 1/2 I think). It was working beautifully (big surprise, considering who is using it). Something for the Record enthusiasts. I'm a Stanley/LV user (Stanleys are available and cheap, LV are available).

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Nepean View Post
    Just finished watching David Charlesworth's latest video, shot at Lie Neilsen's shop. In one of the sections, DC is using a Record (4 1/2 I think). It was working beautifully (big surprise, considering who is using it). Something for the Record enthusiasts. I'm a Stanley/LV user (Stanleys are available and cheap, LV are available).
    G'Day All
    For the Record Hand Plane/Tools collector, I have just put some up-dates on my web-site you will find them in the page on Catalogues ,what it is the first time Record Hand Plane were catalogued in catalogue No 10 Jan 1931
    Stay-Sharp
    David
    www.recordhandplanes.com