FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Beginners Bench *PIC*

P Lam Guest

Default Beginners Bench *PIC*

So like every newbie woodworker one of the first things I have to build is a bench, so here's my version.

Keep in mind this is the first real piece of furniture I've built so go easy

Anyways it is made of plain old spf lumber from home depot, 6 - 2x4 and 2 - 2x6. The legs are laminated 2x4's and 2x6's. It is roughly 5feet wide by 2feet deep. The bottom stretchers are pinned pinned m & t, I cut the mortises with a dado blade before I laminated the legs. The legs are also pinned m & t into the feet, but there I cut a stopped dado to create the mortise. Most benches don't have the top stretcher but since I'm going to be using a laminated mdf top I was a little worried about sag. The top stretcher is attached with a half lap joint.

The bench is actually sitting on the top which is 4 layers of 5/8 mdf. I have put on 3 coats of poly so far and I think I might leave it at that, I haven't finished the top as I need to cut out an inset for the vise and edge band it. I'll probable poly the top also.

Some things I leared about building this bench:

-spf lumber is so soft, it doesn't take much to dent. I think just talking about it just know added a few more dents.

-spf lumber has serious tearout issues, even with backer boards.

-I had a great time building it and I'm glad I started woodworking.

I didn't use real hardwood as the cost would have been high and I considered this a practice bench. Also I don't have a jointer yet and s2s hardwood isn't commonly available in Vancouver at reasonable prices.

In keeping with the recent threads on time spent, at this point I have 24 hours into it.

Default Re: Beginners Bench

Dude, it looks great. If that is the practice I for one am looking forward to seeing the beauty of the finial product.

All the best

Stephen Leadbeater

3. Default Re: Beginners Bench

Hi There,

The base looks great! I think you're off to a great start with this hobby. I can't wait to see the final version.

All the best,

Al in Toronto

Gord in Newmarket Guest

Default Nice, I'd be happy with that. *NM*

5. Default Re: Beginners Bench

Wish my first bench was that functional and looked that good. Nicely done!

Zibby.......Brantford Guest

Self confidence goes a long way in this hobby. Your off to a excellent start with what you have shown and critiqued yourself on. Very nice work.

keep it coming.
    zibby

Rob Stokes in North Vanco Guest

Nutin' wrong with that bench!

Rob

Default Nice Bench! *NM*

Default Beginners Bench???

Sure doesn't look it.

You musta been a WWer in a previous life!

Great job!

Welcome to the forum here.

Howard