FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Spectacular new General planer *long* *PIC*

David in London Guest

Default Spectacular new General planer *long* *PIC*

Dear All,

After spending well over a year looking for a good used North American made planer and not finding one, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a brand spanking new planer.

My requirements were simple, North American made, 220 volt, single phase, something under half a ton, cast iron, belt drive with an induction motor. I was prepared to restore a sad bastard like I did with my old Canadian made Delta Unisaw, but after responding to many ads and attending many auctions and not finding one, I gave up. They either wanted too much money for the planer or it was impossible to restore due to missing or broken parts.

Delta used to make a couple of nice cast iron bed planers right next door in Guelph, but that stopped 30 years ago when they shut the plant down at started making many of their planers offshore. Up until just a few years ago, Powermatic in the US made a nice cast iron 12" planer, but since being bought by Jet, it is no longer being made and the Powermatic name does not necessarily mean US made any more.

The only small planer made in North American that I could find that fit my requirements was the General model 130 14" planer. It has a Baldor 3HP motor, the same motor that is in the General 350. It weighs in at about 500 pounds and is a serious piece of cast iron. One of my friends who likes to restore old machines frequently says, "The only thing better than cast iron, is MORE cast iron", This planer definitely falls into that category. And, of course, being General, it is made right here in Canada.

Friday night I picked up the planer and I had a number of big friends (Thanks Mike, etc.) meet me at the house to help me take the pallet off the pickup truck. I forget who made the comment, but someone pointed out that the scene could easily be from the Red Green show. Six guys standing around staring at the back of a pickup debating the best way to get the planer off the truck. For future reference, if you ever need to off load a large machine and you don't have a forklift at home, we removed the tailgate of the truck and used a number of 10' maple boards for a ramp and slid the pallet to the ground.

After freeing the planer from the crate and skid, I managed to wrangle it onto it's mobile base. It is amazing what one person can move with a long enough lever. As with all General machines, there is very little set up involved. All I had to do was wire up a cord to the mag starter, clean the cosmoline off the bed and it was good to go.

When I pressed the start button for the first time I could not believe it, it was soooo quite. Being used to a small portable planer with a universal motor, the difference is substantial. I can actually run my planer with no hearing protection, it is that quite. The DeWALT planer I owned was a great machine, but there is simply no comparison between it and the General 130. I do enough woodworking that it was becoming very tiresome having to take so many passes to dress stock with the DeWALT. That will no longer be a problem with the General 130. Once the stock is face jointed, it should only take one or two passes with the General to plane to final thickness. Now it was only cedar, but the board on the bed in the picture had almost 1/4" removed with NO whimpering from the planer at all.

Anyway, I have rambled enough and I still have lots of sawdust to make today, so, suffice it to say I am extremely pleased with this machine,

David.

J.P.Rap (Hamilton) Guest

Default Congrats David

I'm GREEN with envy.LOL
    J.P.

Mike Harris Guest

Default Re: Spectacular new General planer *long*

Hi Dave

I drove by this afternoon to see the green beast running first hand but the garage door was closed. I ran into Stu B. at fund raiser dance last night, said he was thrilled to get your left overs.

Take Care
    Mike

Bud Christiansen Guest

Congrats, David. Glad to hear that General is still living up to it's fine reputation. Now that they have left tilt on their cabinet saws it's making my decision on a new woodchomper very difficult.

Mike King, Sherwood Park, Guest

Good to know, David.. Did you hand out Chiropractic gift certificates?;-)

Since I got my 480 Jointer, like Bud, my next tool buys are becoming easy decisions..

Default Re: Spectacular new General planer *long* *PIC*

Do you notice the planer gets louder when you hook up the dust collector?

Pretty old post and none of those members are still registered, so don't be surprised if you don't get a response. Unless of course, "David in London" became "That Dave Guy', and then you'll be in luck

Steve
    Last edited by Steve in Ayr; 03-06-2009 at 01:56 PM.
    If a man speaks in the forest, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Evans View Post
    Pretty old post and none of those members are still registered, so don't be surprised if you don't get a response. Unless of course, "David in London" became "That Dave Guy', and then you'll be in luck

Steve
    Ayup, That are me.

I don't notice that it gets louder with the DC attached. I have since added a Byrd head to the planer, so it is quite quiet.

David.

Real Name
    J.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Evans View Post

Steve
    Actually all but one are still registered. Bud was a long time member but hasn't been around for quite some time. The last I heard he was quite ill.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd